Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harbaugh Bowl II (aka Super Bowl XLVII)

It's stunning to me that no one has started a thread about this yet. Deer antler spray, homophobia, Tulane turf, Kate Upton... and nothing.

John Harbaugh and the Baltimore Ravens beat Jim Harbaugh and the San Francisco 49ers 16-6 on Thanksgiving night of 2011. The rematch has a little bit more at stake.

Feel free to use this thread for pre-game, in-game, and post-game purposes. Score predictions, prop bet speculation (for entertainment value only), MVP candidates. Also comment on the advertisements: the surprises, the failures, and the pony Clydesdale -- Budweiser's newest drug of sentimentality.

GO Ravens!

Only really cheering for them because I want Ray Lewis to get a ring in his final game in the NFL.

The whole "deer antler spray" thing is stupid and im glad the talk has died down about it. As for the interview about the locker rooms in the NFL, the guy spoke about how most players feel, but even still he should know not to say it in public and to a reporter like he did.

I heard there was a commercial with Kate Upton and guys washing a car and was highly disappointed! Was not her best work nor was it funny or good advertising. Really hoping they got some good commercials this year.

27-20 Ravens
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Ravens

Flacco is playing well. Ray Ray's going to have that defense inspired. Watch out for Bernard Pierce. Ray Rice gets all of the attention on offense, but Pierce is pretty darn good. Baltimore 20-13.

Also a good question: If Baltimore wins, what city had the best year in sports? Baltimore or San Francisco?

what if kappernick gets knocked out in the first series and alex smith comes in and wins? then tells the team to stuff it for next year....

they could be one jadeavon clowney away from that scenario...

just sayin...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Beyonce remains a reasonably attractive woman.

Game over.

Jones MVP.

Edit: Game over literally. They just lost power.
    Last edited by pamtar; 02-03-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Lights out -- metaphor much?

Ugh, I can't stand Ray Lewis. Really didn't care about either team, but because I dislike him so much, I was pulling for his team to lose. Obviously, not a great game at first, but I thought the Niners might mount a comeback - just as they did in the NFC Championship game vs. Atlanta. I guess I would have to see the replay a few more times, but I swear, it looked to me like Frank Gore might have scored on that long run on SF's last drive, but instead of just running hard and straight ahead for as many yards as he could, he sort of hesitated for some reason and it slowed him down. It looked to me like he was thinking of stiff-arming the defender, but if he'd just kept going, it really looked like he might have turned the corner and scored a TD that probably would have won the game.

And don't get me started on the play calling on that series at the end by the Niners. Ack!

I got lucky

Went to a party with one of those square deal and won the big prize because of the safety.

Fun game, but weird with the power failure.

Years ago the Eagles lost to the Bears in a game played in total fog. Why not play on with no lights?

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Why not play on with no lights?

SoCal
    Probably television. Quality of picture inadequate. Replay reviews would be hindered, too.

I too am tired of Ray Lewis, to put it mildly, but seems to me the Niners had someone say something pretty misanthropic, so both have players that are hard for some to root for.

That said, it really was interesting to me how the momentum swung after the power failure. It was like the long timeout that the Niners needed to get their bearings. But that Niners DB Culliver (he was the mouthy one too!) got burned all game and really cost them. The fumble and INT also hurt the Niners. Only getting 3 after that fumble by the Ravens - so many mistakes. Flacco made a number of winning plays early, but in the end, it was a loser's game ... the team with the fewer mistakes won, and the Niners made both more mistakes, and they were far more costly.

One neat thing was, several years ago, my son and I got to see Flacco play for Delaware in the Div I FCS National Championship vs. Appalachian State. Although Flacco was widely considered to be an NFL talent, App State, behind running QB Armanti Edwards, beat them like a drum. Sure, Flacco could throw a deep ball, but his team didn't look good that day, so it was hard to be confident in his future success from what we saw that day.

horrible play calling in the last drive by the niners....when you have a runner like Kap and you throw the fade? Smh..

SEEMED to be a blown call on the holding, but that no-call was pretty consistent with how they called the whole game...

Beyonce KILLED it....even the lights agreed....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Jim Harbaugh whining about calls.

Who didn't see that coming?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    horrible play calling in the last drive by the niners....when you have a runner like Kap and you throw the fade? Smh..

SEEMED to be a blown call on the holding, but that no-call was pretty consistent with how they called the whole game...

Beyonce KILLED it....even the lights agreed....
    My view is the ball is in the air, so if there is a call, it's PI. That ball wasn't catchable. It was 5 yards out of bounds. There were worse missed calls/calls throughout the game.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Probably television. Quality of picture inadequate. Replay reviews would be hindered, too.

I too am tired of Ray Lewis, to put it mildly, but seems to me the Niners had someone say something pretty misanthropic, so both have players that are hard for some to root for.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it's at all fair to equate SAYING something disparaging about gays to NOT saying something (i.e. telling all you know) in a double murder situation. Culliver's remarks were terrible, but, at the end of the day it's kind of a "sticks and stones" kinda thing, you know? At the end of Ray Lewis day in Atlanta that fateful night, two young men lay dead on the sidewalk.

I liked your story about Flacco, though - I didn't even know where he came from, college-wise. I guess some don't like him, but I do. Now that Lewis is finally retiring and the since the Ravens got rid of Brian Billick a few years back, I think I could find myself rooting for them for sure.

So on the safety...

Who else was screaming "Holding!!!" at the TV while the punter was dancing around the end zone, only to realize after the play that even if called, it may not have made a difference. I am certain that John Harbaugh and the Ravens' special teams coach were telling their o-lineman to hold on as much as they possible could on that play.

That said -- does the rulebook allow the team that was awarded the safety to apply such a penalty on the free kick? If so, then the Ravens should have been punting from their 10 yard line. If not, that rule needs to be changed to allow the team that is awarded the safety (if it occurs naturally, without the holding penalty) the opportunity to choose. Anyone know?

horrible play calling in the last drive by the niners....when you have a runner like Kap and you throw the fade?
    Actually, I thought that was brilliant D by the Ravens. They came with an all-out blitz. While the uneducated football fan thinks the bltiz is designed to get to the QB making the pass, it serves an effective secondary role of plugging all holes through which a team might run the ball. The blitzers overwhelm the offensive line so there is no space to run. Now, the risk with an all-out blitz is that your CBs are one-on-one and if the pass is caught, there are no safeties behind to stop the receiver from running a looooong way.

But, the bottom line is that there was no way for Kap to run the ball, he had to make a throw in under 2 seconds or he was going down.

I agree with the previous posted about the ball being uncatchable and the no-call being appropriate. The Ravens made Kap throw a perfect touch pass and he ain't very good at that kind of thing. I know the whole world is ready to anoint Kapernick the next great thing in football, but I am not at all sold on him. He is explosive and potent at times, but we've seen him be utterly ineffective for long stretches of each of the past 2 games (Falcons and Ravens both totally contained him in the 1st half). I think he's a good QB and he does some things few others can do, but I don't think he's in the top 10 QBs in football right now. I'd certainly take the three rookies (RGIII, Wilson, and Luck) over him at this point as well as the much more established names (Rodgers, Brees, PManning, Brady, Ryan, Flacco, Big Ben, and so on).

-Jason "will be very interesting to see how teams do against Kap next season, when defensive coaches have had more time to study his game" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Who else was screaming "Holding!!!" at the TV while the punter was dancing around the end zone, only to realize after the play that even if called, it may not have made a difference. I am certain that John Harbaugh and the Ravens' special teams coach were telling their o-lineman to hold on as much as they possible could on that play.

That said -- does the rulebook allow the team that was awarded the safety to apply such a penalty on the free kick? If so, then the Ravens should have been punting from their 10 yard line. If not, that rule needs to be changed to allow the team that is awarded the safety (if it occurs naturally, without the holding penalty) the opportunity to choose. Anyone know?
    When I saw the holding going on, I thought it was simply brilliant. a great way to waste time with zero consequence that mattered to you. Props to the nice Harbaugh and his staff for some excellent strategy there. Really interesting though that it appeared no official ever threw a flag on that play. Or maybe they did but it did not matter once the punter ran out of the end zone.

I don't see how you would also enforce the penalty on the kickoff. The penalty for holding in the end zone is a safety -- which is an extremely harsh penalty under most circumstances. Adding insult to injury by also moving back the kickoff does seem excessive. A safety kickoff already comes from the 20 yard line.

I was hoping for a shorter punt, allowing San Fran to make a fair catch at their 45 or so, which would have allowed them to attempt a free kick for the win. How dramatic, to have the entire game being decided with only 2 guys on the field!!

-Jason "Akers had seemed hurt so I doubt he had a long kick in him... something the announcers failed to note when talking about the possibility of a free kick" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The play calling on the last four plays by San Fran was...in a word...atrocious.

First, I agree with what someone said about Gore going down the sidelines. I'm really surprised there was never an angle that showed his feet along the sideline. I thought he stayed in. They were about to show that replay, but then San Fran lined up for a play and they cut from it. Wished they had shown it.

That said...Here are the 4 plays from 1st and 7

1) Handoff to L. James for a 2 yard gain. What? James? Up to that point he had 2 rushes for 8 yards and a fumble on one of those carries. This was the WORST call of the series (and that's saying something). James should not have even been on the field. You either give the ball to Gore, or have Kaepernick run it there, or you pass it. James? They simply wasted one of their four downs there.

2) Incomplete pass to the right to Crabtree. It was possibly (maybe even probably) pass interference. It looked like the defender rushed through Crabtree to get to the ball. But, unlike on the last play - more below - it was a perfectly fine no call, and pretty close either way. Even then, Crabtree was not in the endzone. Had he caught it, he would have been short.

3) The play that would have worked. Kaepernick lined up with Gore behind him in the backfield and 2 TE's. They were going to do the read option left, and when the ball snapped and the play started, Gore darted left and had perfect position for the lead block with Kaepernick moving that way. There was one CB to beat, and with Gore in front, it's likely Kaepernick would have simply cut right and gone untouched into the endzone. Only the play never happened because the 49ers didn't snap the ball in time, and Harbaugh had to call a timeout to avoid delay of game. Awful clock management. Cost them a TD.

4) So now third and goal, they go to the same side with Crabtree with 5 WR's. Baltimore blitzes and Kaepernick had to throw quickly. Crabtree gets the ball and then gets crushed and he drops it. I've wathched that play several times and for the life of me I don't see why the ref didn't call a helmet to helmet hit. At the very least, someone should have mentioned it. The Baltimore defender hit Crabtree with his helmet directly into Crabtree's facemask, damn near ripping the helmet off his head. Crabtree even had to adjust his helmet after the play. Still, a bad play call by San Fran there.

5) So it's 4th and goal. Again San Fran lines up with 5 wide. They same formation they've shown 2 other times. Baltimore lines up with 11 men on the line of scrimmage. A full blitz. It was the perfect D on that formation. The play clock was almost at zero. Harbaugh should have called a timeout, or Kaepernick should have called an audible before that, or a timeout. They should have run two TE's with Crabtree wide and Moss out, but not far. Pull in the defenders. Don't allow an all out blitz. Have Gore in the backfield available for a swing out screen pass. Anything. Instead, Kaepernick gets the ball and the defender comes in 100% untouched. Kaepernick had 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, so he throws the only thing he can do, a fade to the corner. Terrible.

And yet, it still should have worked, because Crabtree was held. And it was a terrible no call. It's a play that if it happens in the first half gets a flag. Period. You have to call that there, because the defender's hold absolutely kept Crabtree from making a play on the ball. Truthfully, the refs were bad the entire game. I've heard people say "they let them play" but that's a cop-out. They lost control. There were fights and no flags. There was a ton of trash talking. At one point a Baltimore guy literally slapped a San Fran guy in the face (after the San Fran guy had given a little push and said something). In the regular season that gets a flag every single time. The kicker for San Fran got hit on his FG and that likely should have been a personal foul and not running into the kicker. Boldin did a facemask on a stiff arm where he grabbed the San Fran's facemask. You can't do that. Should have been a 15 yard penalty. I guess the only good thing is that you could say the refs did not determine the outcome of the game...except in a way, they did through their passive approach.

And on the last safety....I was again disappointed that the announcers didn't even mention the hold. In fact, they chastized San Fran saying "they were not prepared for the safety?" Huh? The Baltimore guy literally wrapped two arms around the San Fran player and wouldn't let him go. It was the safety who had to sprint around his defender (who was also trying to hold him) and get to the punter. That's why it took 8 seconds, because the Ravens were holding - as many as they could. Blatantly in front of the refs. They should have thrown a flag...given the 49ers a safety, then put 14 seconds on the clock for the kickoff. That's what the rules say. Instead, ballgame (though honestly, it would have been over anyway).

Still, great game. Very exciting. The string of great Super Bowls in a row has been amazing, especially for a person who remembers when the string of blowouts made the game pretty boring unless your team was crushing. Oh, and the safety at the end meant that last year's Super Bowl scoring started with a safety, and this year's ended with one. What are the odds of that happening?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't see how you would also enforce the penalty on the kickoff. The penalty for holding in the end zone is a safety -- which is an extremely harsh penalty under most circumstances. Adding insult to injury by also moving back the kickoff does seem excessive. A safety kickoff already comes from the 20 yard line.
    I guess my thought was that if the play results in a safety anyway, it can be applied on the free kick. Or maybe at least allow for it in the last 2 minutes of a game (similar to clock runoff type penalties).

It's such a unique situation that it probably doesn't deserve much attention, but there really should be some recourse when a team holds (read: cheats) in that situation, making it *WORSE* for the team being awarded the safety.

Agreed, though, that it was smart coaching to say "Hold -- what are they going to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    They should have thrown a flag...given the 49ers a safety, then put 14 seconds on the clock for the kickoff. That's what the rules say. Instead, ballgame (though honestly, it would have been over anyway).
    So is the rule that you get the clock set at the time of the hold?