Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    State is a possible loss but I expect Miami will win. The only other good chance for a loss is at Duke. They should be favored in most every game. They could run the table.
    I doubt Miami ends up with fewer than four losses in conference play.

State is a possible loss but I expect Miami will win. The only other good chance for a loss is at Duke. They should be favored in most every game. They could run the table.
    They might, but it's pretty unlikely. Fans seem to be putting an aura of near-invincibility around a team that has lost to such juggernauts as Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State, and got crushed by Arizona. '82 UNC, '91 Duke, '92 Duke, '93 UNC, '01 Duke, '02 Maryland, '05 UNC, '09 UNC, '10 Duke were all national championship teams, and none of them managed to run the table, even though none had to win 18 games to do so. I'll grant the ACC has seen better years, but people seem to be placing a tremendous amount of weight on a two-game run--I mean, this team barely beat an awful BC team just two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I doubt Miami ends up with fewer than four losses in conference play.
    Who beats them? They just got Johnson back. He will only get better

Who beats them?
    As Vick mentioned,perhaps they will meet up with some teams as strong as Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State on the road. They played a great game against Duke. I have trouble seeing how a team that has never won anything doesn't lay an egg somewhere along the line. I don't expect they are used to being the target at the top and could see almost any team in the ACC upsetting them on an off night.

I doubt they run the table, but they are very talented and with the road wins they are racking up they are certainly building a case as the odds on favorite to win the regular season. We all know how quickly things can change, but at this juncture in the season, watching Miami is a good way to keep an eye on the top of the league.
    Bob Green

Mama, there goes that man again. Snaer with another 3 just about at the buzzer for the win.

Heads up everyone, Virginia Tech with a lead on Miami in the second half. A good as they are, it's not inconceivable that Miami could lose two games this week, provided that Lorenzo Brown is ready to go by Saturday.

Pomeroy has Miami with a 3.1% chance to finish the ACC season undefeated, so don't get too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Heads up everyone, Virginia Tech with a lead on Miami in the second half. A good as they are, it's not inconceivable that Miami could lose two games this week, provided that Lorenzo Brown is ready to go by Saturday.
    Well *now* it's inconceivable. VPI is done.

Well so much for that, Miami has seized control, up by 9. Still think they will lose one or two before we see them again in early March, hopefully starting this weekend in Raleigh.

There's almost no way Miami runs the table. Pomeroy's 3.1% chance seems generous, even. It's just too many games, and the game at Duke, I would still say Duke is a solid favorite in that one. The NC State game is a toss up. And as someone already mentioned, they almost lost to Boston College, so anyone is capable of beating them on a down night.

But I do think they have to be considered solid conference favorites at this point. It's time to get over the Florida Gulf Coast loss. I have no idea how it happened, even without Durand Scott for that game, but it was the second game of the season and this is obviously not the same team.

As for the losses to Arizona and Indiana State...both of those games were played in Honolulu, which is quite a trip, and they lost Reggie Johnson just before the Arizona game, so they were having to make adjustments during what I would imagine was very limited practice time, several time zones away from home. And Indiana State is not bad either...last I checked they were top 50 RPI.

It's a versatile team with excellent guard play and an inside presence that will only grow stronger as Reggie Johnson works his way back into the flow. The wings are good shooters. They play good defense. They have senior leadership. Their depth is a little limited, but otherwise, what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Pomeroy has Miami with a 3.1% chance to finish the ACC season undefeated, so don't get too excited.
    They may have an off night or two but they are pretty complete. They can beat you in multiple ways. They may get State without Brown so if they get pat that- Duke is the only tough game they have left where they are probably not favored. They may start to fell the pressure- but they will not go out easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    There's almost no way Miami runs the table. Pomeroy's 3.1% chance seems generous, even. It's just too many games, and the game at Duke, I would still say Duke is a solid favorite in that one. The NC State game is a toss up. And as someone already mentioned, they almost lost to Boston College, so anyone is capable of beating them on a down night.

But I do think they have to be considered solid conference favorites at this point. It's time to get over the Florida Gulf Coast loss. I have no idea how it happened, even without Durand Scott for that game, but it was the second game of the season and this is obviously not the same team.
    This. I highly doubt they go undefeated but they need at least 1 loss to a team not named Duke for Duke even to tie and that is assuming Duke wins out which at this point, I'm not confident. So an undefeated Miami or a 2 loss Miami doesn't do much assuming Duke loses at least 3.

They may get State without Brown so if they get pat that- Duke is the only tough game they have left where they are probably not favored.
    It is looking like Brown might not play:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/01/...iss-games.html

Miami will be a tough game for State without their floor leader. Injuries are throwing a monkey wrench into this seaon's results or at least the preseason predictions. Miami played games without Durand Scott and Reggie Johnson; Ryan Kelly is out for us, and now Carolina loses Hairston and State Brown. The key unknown is which team will be healthy come mid-March.
    Bob Green

Miami

I would be willing to bet serious bucks that Miami does not finish 18-0 in the ACC.

I would be willing to make a more modest wager that Miami does win the ACC regular season.

Scott gets bucket

Not bad...needs a bunch more to catch Kyle though.

Here is a link to Jim Young's ACC Hoops Power Rankings:

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-y...ings-feb-1.php

The weekend's marque match-up is #1 Miami at #3 State. Duke is #2.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I would be willing to bet serious bucks that Miami does not finish 18-0 in the ACC.

I would be willing to make a more modest wager that Miami does win the ACC regular season.
    I'd definitely take that second bet. I think at worst, they'll finished tied. I see probably 2 losses left. Kenpom has 1 loss to us and a 57% chance of a win at NC State. Those are the only 2 under 70%. And they are probably getting NC State without Brown. Next 3 toughest games are UVA at home, FSU on the road and Wake on the road. They could conceivably drop this game (or even another game) but that would still require Duke to win out to win it outright.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I'd definitely take that second bet. I think at worst, they'll finished tied. I see probably 2 losses left. Kenpom has 1 loss to us and a 57% chance of a win at NC State. Those are the only 2 under 70%. And they are probably getting NC State without Brown. Next 3 toughest games are UVA at home, FSU on the road and Wake on the road. They could conceivably drop this game (or even another game) but that would still require Duke to win out to win it outright.
    And remember, if they beat State, then they'll likely have the tiebreaker over us for the #1 seed (assuming State doesn't self-destruct entirely).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And remember, if they beat State, then they'll likely have the tiebreaker over us for the #1 seed (assuming State doesn't self-destruct entirely).
    True. Although that won't really matter for the regular season crown which would just be record even with the unbalanced schedule. But that will be big for the tourney with the #1 team probably avoiding NC State til the finals although still a lot of ball to play for that.