Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am happy to discuss it. If I take a thread entitled "King of November/December" as antagonistic, and you do not, I hope we will just agree to disagree on it.

To be clear, I am not picking at you. I respect your posts and often agree with you. This just obviously strike us differently.
    It was a poorly-worded title by the original poster, I agree. But I don't think the content of the post itself was worthy of the snarky response.

To the main point: different teams peak at different times. Some, like 2010, peak at just the right time. Others peak earlier. Some never quite get there at all. I would simply say that, historically, our season gets more difficult once conference play starts. Part of the reason our % falls is because we have to play @ Carolina, @ Md, etc. I would also suggest that a conference team ranked 10-25 is tougher to beat than one you do not have to play every year (especially when it is in a neutral site, as the pre-Christmas games are).
    That's a perfectly fair opinion/theory. Familiarity does factor in here.

I would suggest the more relevant inquiry is our % at home, at neutral courts, and in true away games. The last category is significantly below the other two. And we don't play those until after Christmas.
    I also agree that a good bit of the difference is accounted for in the true road games. I'd say that there are multiple things playing in here to varying degree:

- Coach K gets his teams ready sooner than most coaches, so we're better focused/ready than others in November
    - We typically (though not always) have had less attrition to the NBA than most, so there is more continuity of team than our opponents early in the season
    - We play no true road games and no conference foes in November/December, and familiarity tends to lead to tougher contests
    - We have had significant in-season injuries in 2 of the 10 years that have greatly affected our ACC schedule results

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    It's really tough to draw any conclusions without seeing how other programs perform. Maybe this is common for many programs. I remember feeling shocked at how many players were transferring out of Duke until I looked around and saw that it happens to almost all the big programs. If I had to guess, this happens just about everywhere. Well maybe not the utter dominance of November and December.
    There is something to this. The point above about how Duke has "underperformed the expectations based on seeding in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, maybe 2009 if you include margin of victory, 2011, and 2012" is an objectively horrible metric, because all top seeds have "underperformed based on seeding"--this literally has to be the case unless there are never any upsets. What you want to do is compare Duke's performance as X seed vs. the NCAA average. Here is a table I found of wins per seed for the first 26 years of the 64-team bracket (so missing the last couple of years but close enough):

1 3.42
    2 2.43
    3 1.84
    4 1.46
    5 1.18
    6 1.22
    7 0.83
    8 0.65
    9 0.59
    10 0.65
    11 0.49
    12 0.52
    13 0.25
    14 0.17
    15 0.04
    16 0.00

For the 1995-present period, Duke has "expected" wins of 2.8 on average, and has actually won 2.4, if my quick calculations are right. So a little bit below seeding but not catastrophic. For 2004-present, the same expectation of 2.8 wins, but only 2.1 in actuality. So, there is an underperformance, but not as much as often made out to be. You can't mechanically look at a long string of 1 and 2 seeds and think we should be in the Final Four, or at least the Elite 8, every year.
    Last edited by vick; 01-24-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Clarified table

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    There is something to this. The point above about how Duke has "underperformed the expectations based on seeding in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, maybe 2009 if you include margin of victory, 2011, and 2012" is an objectively horrible metric, because all top seeds have "underperformed based on seeding"--this literally has to be the case unless there are never any upsets. What you want to do is compare Duke's performance as X seed vs. the NCAA average.
    Actually, I already took that factor into account in my quote that you cite here. It's still the case that Duke has underperformed expectations based on seeding in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, maybe 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Actually, I already took that factor into account in my quote that you cite here. It's still the case that Duke has underperformed expectations based on seeding in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, maybe 2009, 2011, and 2012.
    You know you're right--I focused on the part about scoring margin and misunderstood. So while I don't think it's as bad as people say, I sold short what you were saying, my apologies.

For the 1995-present period, Duke has "expected" wins of 2.8 on average, and has actually won 2.4, if my quick calculations are right. So a little bit below seeding but not catastrophic. For 2004-present, the same expectation of 2.8 wins, but only 2.1 in actuality. So, there is an underperformance, but not as much as often made out to be.
    I'd argue that a 0.7 win underperformance over a 10-year span is pretty substantial. That's a 25% underperformance.

You can't mechanically look at a long string of 1 and 2 seeds and think we should be in the Final Four, or at least the Elite 8, every year.
    Actually, the results suggest you SHOULD expect a #1 seed to make the Elite-8. An average win total of 3.42 wins would put them in the elite-8, and winning ~42% of those elite-8 games (assuming no Final Four wins, of course). For a #2 seed, the expectation is one game less than that, or Sweet-16, with a ~43% win probability in the Sweet-16 (again, assuming no further wins). Duke's 2.8-win expectation suggests that we should be consistently making the Sweet-16 and more often than not making the Elite-8. To be 0.7 wins short of that average suggests that, in 2-3 of every 3-4 years, we're coming up a game shorter than expectations. And when you consider that the 2004 and 2010 teams exceeded expectations, that means that we've fallen short in 8 of the remaining 10 seasons over that span.

Yes, it's harder for a #1 or #2 seed to meet expectations than it is for a #15 seed or even a #8 seed. But that doesn't mean that we haven't played below expectations in the tournament over the last decade.

You know you're right--I focused on the part about scoring margin and misunderstood. So while I don't think it's as bad as people say, I sold short what you were saying, my apologies.
    No worries. Thanks for the table - I had figured out the expected wins for a 1 seed a while back, but never the numbers for anything below that, so it's cool to see.

I decided to take a look at the last several years of stats for various teams. I took the last 5 years of NCAA champions: Kentucky, Connecticut, Duke, Carolina, and Kansas, and then added Michigan State and Butler, as they have been in the Final Four multiple times in that time frame. That looked like a fairly decent selection of recently elite teams.

I looked at this year (with incomplete data), and the previous 4 years. Why 4? Because I only have so much time to spend on this project.

I compiled the win percentage for November and December, for January through the end of the season (including the conference tournament, since that wasn't broken out separately), and for January through the end of the tournament. I've shown them in order by January through the end of the season (the second column).

Here are the results:
    Code:
                      Nov-Dec     Jan-Mar     Jan-Apr
    Kansas              88.5        87.2        84.4
    Butler              72.3        79.8        79.0
    Duke                95.0        78.5        78.3
    Kentucky            83.9        75.3        76.7
    Michigan State      80.3        71.4        71.7
    Carolina            81.5        69.5        72.3
    Connecticut         86.7        56.3        58.8

Our Nov-December stat is wonderfully gaudy. From January through the end of the year, we're not chopped liver, though. We're still doing quite well. It just SEEMS bad, because there's such a huge drop-off from 95% to 78%, a drop of over 16 percentage points! Butler is the only one that does better during conference play. Kansas is pretty consistent from non-con to conference play. Kentucky and Michigan State drop about 8 percentage points, Carolina drops 12, and Connecticut over 30!

Winning "only" 78.5% of our games from January on doesn't appear to be horrible. I'm pleasantly surprised with these stats.

Clemson

Every year when conference play starts almost every team has great records in major conferences. Duke usually plays a couple of good teams and has a tourney with top competition, but most of the teams in Nov. and Dec or gimme's. Once conference play starts there are no gimme's.

Heck, Clemson looks like world beaters if you go by their Pre-Jan record over the same time period as the first post: Since 04 Clemson has won 80% of their games (101-26) before January. After January they won 46% (83-96).

I wouldn't over analyze the program. We have more championships then anybody else over the last 25 years with the last one only a couple of years back...

Question

I am happy to discuss it. If I take a thread entitled "King of November/December" as antagonistic/provoking, and you do not, I hope we will just agree to disagree on it.

To be clear, I am not picking at you. I respect your posts and often agree with you. This just obviously strike us differently.

To the main point: different teams peak at different times. Some, like 2010, peak at just the right time. Others peak earlier. Some never quite get there at all. I would simply say that, historically, our season gets more difficult once conference play starts. Part of the reason our % falls is because we have to play @ Carolina, @ Md, etc. I would also suggest that a conference team ranked 10-25 is tougher to beat than one you do not have to play every year (especially when it is in a neutral site, as the pre-Christmas games are).

I would suggest the more relevant inquiry is our % at home, at neutral courts, and in true away games. The last category is significantly below the other two. And we don't play those until after Christmas.
    I think that's right, but I think it's undercut by how weak the ACC has been over the last 5-7 years. Our schedule is tougher in that in conference play we actually play true road games, something save for the ACC-Big 10 challenge, we don't do much of in Nov and Dec -- and I'd note that we lost our last two true road games in the challenge at UW and OSU. But the ACC hasn't been the murderer's row it was at times in the past over the last decade. The ACC certainly hasn't been as tough as the Big East has been for the last several years or as tough as the Big 10 is this year.

I'd also note that the idea of regression -- or at least lack of progression -- has sources other than simple results. Some of it is subjective, in that we just don't look as good as we did early on. A basic example would be last season's wins in Maui to start the season vs. how we looked in February and March before Kelly was hurt. In just looking to winning percentages, a win is a win is a win, but if you're considering team growth, beating Michigan and Kansas on back to back days was more impressive than limping through an OT win over Va Tech.

Some of it has been that we've had a number of seasons too that have ended with a whimper, and that's two factors that make the difference between November and March stark. The first is the number of losses. Last year, we lost three of four to end the season (and yes, Kelly's injury is important to consider). The year before, we had a terrible performance at UNC to end the regular season, looked bad against Michigan and got blown out by Arizona. In 08-09, we lost to UNC to close the regular season struggled in the second round and got blitzed in the Sweet 16. That pattern was similar to 07-08, with a loss to UNC to close the regular season, struggles in the ACC tourney and two bad NCAA performances. The results over those stretches aren't great. Now that's where we're usually playing high level competition -- UNC at least once, the ACC tourney and NCAA tourney. At the same time, the results aren't great.

The other factor is that our NCAA tourney performance, save 2010 has been marked by underachievement since 2004. That's not all our fault. We were overseeded in at least a couple of those years -- 2005 and 2007 -- and we had injuries that got in the way with Kyrie and Ryan the last couple of years. That being said, in 2005, we were a 1 seed that lost to a 4, and a 4 that we'd beaten earlier in the year. In 2006, we were a #1 seed, had two first team AAs and lost to a 4. In 2007, we lost in the first round to an 11 seed. In 2008, we lost in the second round to a 7 seed. In 2009, we lost to a 3 seed BADLY. A 2/3 game is a toss up, but we were totally outclassed by Nova. 2010 was a wonderful, glorious exception that was spurred by growth and improvement arising from a senior being healthy for the first time in his career. 2011 was weird with Kyrie coming back, but we again, got outclassed by an Arizona team that we should have beaten. Last year we lost to a 15 seed.

No win in the NCAA tourney is easy, and everyone, save one lucky team, ends with an L. But when you compare the number of high quality wins we pile up in November and December over teams as good or better than those we're getting beaten by in the NCAA tourney, it's a fair impression that improvement isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    I decided to take a look at the last several years of stats for various teams. I took the last 5 years of NCAA champions: Kentucky, Connecticut, Duke, Carolina, and Kansas, and then added Michigan State and Butler, as they have been in the Final Four multiple times in that time frame. That looked like a fairly decent selection of recently elite teams.

I looked at this year (with incomplete data), and the previous 4 years. Why 4? Because I only have so much time to spend on this project.

I compiled the win percentage for November and December, for January through the end of the season (including the conference tournament, since that wasn't broken out separately), and for January through the end of the tournament. I've shown them in order by January through the end of the season (the second column).

Here are the results:
    Code:
                      Nov-Dec     Jan-Mar     Jan-Apr
    Kansas              88.5        87.2        84.4
    Butler              72.3        79.8        79.0
    Duke                95.0        78.5        78.3
    Kentucky            83.9        75.3        76.7
    Michigan State      80.3        71.4        71.7
    Carolina            81.5        69.5        72.3
    Connecticut         86.7        56.3        58.8

Our Nov-December stat is wonderfully gaudy. From January through the end of the year, we're not chopped liver, though. We're still doing quite well. It just SEEMS bad, because there's such a huge drop-off from 95% to 78%, a drop of over 16 percentage points! Butler is the only one that does better during conference play. Kansas is pretty consistent from non-con to conference play. Kentucky and Michigan State drop about 8 percentage points, Carolina drops 12, and Connecticut over 30!

Winning "only" 78.5% of our games from January on doesn't appear to be horrible. I'm pleasantly surprised with these stats.
    Thanks for compiling this. It does appear, from this small sample of elite teams, that we are outperforming our Jan-March numbers in Nov/Dec moreso than other really good teams by virtue of playing that much better than the others in Nov/Dec.

Yes, we are the Kings of Nov/Dec!! We are also quite good the rest of the year. Other posters have presented reasonable explanations, so I'll just add more data (source). It is based per-coach rather than per-team. It uses the Pythagorean winning percentage for up to the last 10 years if available. I've separated out the tables to rank for Nov/Dec, Jan/Feb, and Mar/Apr respectively.

Avg. Pyth. Win% Current Team Nov/Dec
    1 Mike Krzyzewski Duke 0.969
    2 Bill Self Kansas 0.952
    3 Bo Ryan Wisconsin 0.94
    4 Roy Williams North Carolina 0.938
    5 Rick Barnes Texas 0.931
    6 Billy Donovan Florida 0.917
    7 Rick Pitino Louisville 0.916
    8 Jamie Dixon Pittsburgh 0.915
    9 Thad Matta Ohio St. 0.914
    10 Jim Boeheim Syracuse 0.904
    11 Bob Huggins West Virginia 0.903
    12 John Calipari Kentucky 0.901
    13 Tom Izzo Michigan St. 0.896
    14 Mark Few Gonzaga 0.895
    15 Bruce Weber Kansas St. 0.891
    16 Frank Martin South Carolina 0.885
    17 Dave Rose BYU 0.883
    18 Tubby Smith Minnesota 0.882
    19 Jay Wright Villanova 0.875
    20 Mike Montgomery California 0.872
    21 Sean Miller Arizona 0.851
    22 John Thompson III Georgetown 0.85
    23 Steve Alford New Mexico 0.846
    24 Kevin Stallings Vanderbilt 0.843
    25 Leonard Hamilton Florida St. 0.843
    26 Matt Painter Purdue 0.841
    27 Lorenzo Romar Washington 0.84
    28 Tony Bennett Virginia 0.837
    29 Josh Pastner Memphis 0.837
    30 Brad Stevens Butler 0.829
    31 Ben Howland UCLA 0.822
    32 Mike Brey Notre Dame 0.821
    33 Mark Gottfried NC State 0.818
    34 Frank Haith Missouri 0.814
    35 Chris Mack Xavier 0.799
    36 Mick Cronin Cincinnati 0.786
    37 John Beilein Michigan 0.781
    38 Buzz Williams Marquette 0.768
    39 Scott Drew Baylor 0.662

Avg. Pyth. Win% Current Team Jan/Feb
    1 Bill Self Kansas 0.953
    2 Mike Krzyzewski Duke 0.95
    3 Roy Williams North Carolina 0.936
    4 Bo Ryan Wisconsin 0.929
    5 John Calipari Kentucky 0.927
    6 Rick Barnes Texas 0.923
    7 Thad Matta Ohio St. 0.915
    8 Rick Pitino Louisville 0.907
    9 Bob Huggins West Virginia 0.903
    10 Tom Izzo Michigan St. 0.903
    11 Jamie Dixon Pittsburgh 0.902
    12 Billy Donovan Florida 0.9
    13 Jim Boeheim Syracuse 0.899
    14 Frank Martin South Carolina 0.899
    15 Mike Brey Notre Dame 0.888
    16 Tubby Smith Minnesota 0.883
    17 Mike Montgomery California 0.872
    18 Bruce Weber Kansas St. 0.871
    19 Jay Wright Villanova 0.871
    20 Matt Painter Purdue 0.866
    21 Chris Mack Xavier 0.866
    22 Kevin Stallings Vanderbilt 0.862
    23 Mark Few Gonzaga 0.859
    24 John Thompson III Georgetown 0.857
    25 Dave Rose BYU 0.854
    26 Ben Howland UCLA 0.854
    27 Steve Alford New Mexico 0.846
    28 Sean Miller Arizona 0.837
    29 Tony Bennett Virginia 0.834
    30 Leonard Hamilton Florida St. 0.832
    31 Frank Haith Missouri 0.829
    32 Lorenzo Romar Washington 0.828
    33 Mark Gottfried NC State 0.812
    34 John Beilein Michigan 0.794
    35 Josh Pastner Memphis 0.786
    36 Brad Stevens Butler 0.78
    37 Buzz Williams Marquette 0.778
    38 Scott Drew Baylor 0.735
    39 Mick Cronin Cincinnati 0.723

Avg. Pyth. Win% Current Team Mar/Apr
    1 Bill Self Kansas 0.948
    2 Roy Williams UNC 0.942
    3 John Calipari Kentucky 0.942
    4 Tom Izzo Michigan St. 0.924
    5 Rick Pitino Louisville 0.921
    6 Thad Matta Ohio St. 0.919
    7 Billy Donovan Florida 0.917
    8 Jamie Dixon Pittsburgh 0.915
    9 Jim Boeheim Syracuse 0.915
    10 Mike Krzyzewski Duke 0.893
    11 Mark Few Gonzaga 0.882
    12 Rick Barnes Texas 0.881
    13 Bo Ryan Wisconsin 0.877
    14 Josh Pastner Memphis 0.869
    15 Brad Stevens Butler 0.869
    16 Tubby Smith Minnesota 0.868
    17 Leonard Hamilton Florida St. 0.862
    18 Chris Mack Xavier 0.856
    19 Bob Huggins West Virginia 0.855
    20 Frank Martin South Carolina 0.853
    21 Lorenzo Romar Washington 0.852
    22 Bruce Weber Kansas St. 0.85
    23 Mike Brey Notre Dame 0.848
    24 Mark Gottfried NC State 0.844
    25 Ben Howland UCLA 0.84
    26 Jay Wright Villanova 0.835
    27 John Beilein Michigan 0.834
    28 Frank Haith Missouri 0.832
    29 Tony Bennett Virginia 0.827
    30 Steve Alford New Mexico 0.826
    31 Sean Miller Arizona 0.809
    32 Matt Painter Purdue 0.797
    33 Mike Montgomery California 0.793
    34 Kevin Stallings Vanderbilt 0.793
    35 Dave Rose BYU 0.771
    36 Scott Drew Baylor 0.751
    37 Buzz Williams Marquette 0.735
    38 John Thompson III Georgetown 0.725
    39 Mick Cronin Cincinnati 0.639

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This is an interesting thought. It seemed to me in years past that Coach K cared a lot less about any individual game than maybe he does now. It almost seemed like sometimes he left the players on their own to lose the game in order to make an important teaching point that would help them later on (although it's not at all clear that he actually did that; this is only an impression I got watching some games in the past). That used to bug me a lot, because I kind of thought "you play to win the game." But now maybe I can see that there may be times when it is wiser to look at the long goals rather than the short ones.
    I tend to agree. I remember Coach K would occasionally sub out the entire starting lineup for a few minutes to make a point. I know, in last night's game he subbed 3 at once, but still not the same. Here's another example somewhat on point - When Billy King played in the '80's, he was a defenisve stalwart, but a lousy free throw shooter. Nevertheless, Coach K left him in in close end-game situations under the premise "I'm going with the guys that got me here." He purposefully did not do the offense/defense substitutions we often see because he didn't want King to feel like he was going to get pulled from the game. Granted, Coach K didn't necessarily run a play to get the ball in King's hands either, but he didn't pull him from the game. At least last year with Plumlee, we would see Coach K make the substitution so that Plumlee wouldn't end up on the line. It's a different way to manage a game and players and I think Coach K's philosophy has changed somewhat in this regard.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Thank god for Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Thomas, and Zoubek. Can you imagine what the perception of us would be without 2010?
    Truthfully - I think this is a huge point. Since 2001, and other than 2004 and 2010, Duke has been abysmal in the NCAA tournament. Before anyone says anything - yes 99% of the programs would kill to have our abysmal record. But we're talking about Duke and its performance relative to its seeding. Obviously this is separate and apart from incredible success in the ACC tournament, which makes the following all the more perplexing.

In 2002, as defending national champions, with four NBA starters on the roster, we lost to #5 seeded Indiana in a Sweet Sixteen game we were favored to win by 13 points.

In 2003, as a #3 seed, we lost to #2 seeded Kansas in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 3.5 point underdog.

In 2004, as a #1 seed, we lost to #2 seeded UCONN in a Final Four game in which we were a 2.0 point underdog. **I still think the referees cost us this game and we outplayed them.

In 2005, as a #1 seed, we lost (by 10) to #5 seeded Michigan State in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 4.5 point favorite.

In 2006, as a #1 seed, we lost (by 8) to #4 seeded LSU in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 6.0 point favorite.

AT THIS POINT, WE HAD LOST FOUR OUT OF FIVE YEARS IN THE SWEET SIXTEEN, THREE OF WHICH WE WERE THE #1 SEED AND AN AVERAGE 8.0 POINT FAVORITE

In 2007, as a #8 seed, we lost to #9 seeded VCU in a first round game in which we were a 6.5 point favorite. (BY THE WAY, WE LOST 8 OF OUR LAST 12 GAMES THAT YEAR)

In 2008, as a #2 seed, we lost to # 7 seeded West Virginia in a second round game in which we were a 4.0 point favorite.

(**Also worth noting we beat #15 seeded Belmont by 1 in a first round game in which we were a 20.0 point favorite.)

In 2009, as a #2 seed, we lost to #3 seeded Villanova (by 23 points) in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 2.0 favorite

AT THIS POINT WE HAD LOST 5 STRAIGHT TOURNAMENT GAMES IN WHICH WE WERE A FAVORITE

2010 - ONE SHINING MOMENT

2011 - as a #1 seed, we lost to #5 seeded Arizona (by 16 points) in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were an 8.5 point favorite.

2012 - as a #2 seed, we lost to #15 seeded Lehigh (by 5 points) in a first round game in which we were a 12.0 point favorite.

Thus, without 2010:

Duke has been eliminated in the NCAA tournament seven straight times as a favorite.

Duke has not made the elite 8 or Final Four in seven straight years despite being a #1 or #2 seed in six out of seven of those years

Duke has underperformed, relative to the spread, by an average of 16 points in its elimination games during the past seven years.

Duke has not exceeded expectations in the NCAA tournament, relative to seeding, once since 1991 and the UNLV game.

Objectively, Duke has been terrible in the NCAA tournament since 2001 - abysmal since 2004, and 2010 saved us from that narrative being discussed more often.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

In 2002, as defending national champions, with four NBA starters on the roster, we lost to #5 seeded Indiana in a Sweet Sixteen game we were favored to win by 13 points.

In 2003, as a #3 seed, we lost to #2 seeded Kansas in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 3.5 point underdog.

In 2004, as a #1 seed, we lost to #2 seeded UCONN in a Final Four game in which we were a 2.0 point underdog. **I still think the referees cost us this game and we outplayed them.

In 2005, as a #1 seed, we lost (by 10) to #5 seeded Michigan State in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 4.5 point favorite.

In 2006, as a #1 seed, we lost (by 8) to #4 seeded LSU in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 6.0 point favorite.

AT THIS POINT, WE HAD LOST FOUR OUT OF FIVE YEARS IN THE SWEET SIXTEEN, THREE OF WHICH WE WERE THE #1 SEED AND AN AVERAGE 8.0 POINT FAVORITE

In 2007, as a #8 seed, we lost to #9 seeded VCU in a first round game in which we were a 6.5 point favorite. (BY THE WAY, WE LOST 8 OF OUR LAST 12 GAMES THAT YEAR)

In 2008, as a #2 seed, we lost to # 7 seeded West Virginia in a second round game in which we were a 4.0 point favorite.

(**Also worth noting we beat #15 seeded Belmont by 1 in a first round game in which we were a 20.0 point favorite.)

In 2009, as a #2 seed, we lost to #3 seeded Villanova (by 23 points) in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were a 2.0 favorite

AT THIS POINT WE HAD LOST 5 STRAIGHT TOURNAMENT GAMES IN WHICH WE WERE A FAVORITE

2010 - ONE SHINING MOMENT

2011 - as a #1 seed, we lost to #5 seeded Arizona (by 16 points) in a Sweet Sixteen game in which we were an 8.5 point favorite.

2012 - as a #2 seed, we lost to #15 seeded Lehigh (by 5 points) in a first round game in which we were a 12.0 point favorite.
    You have a point here, and some of these were clearly real disappointments (2002, 2006, arguably 2011 and 2012 although injuries sort of cloud the issue in those years). But other years, I really don't think a reasonable fan base should think of as disappointing. Take 2005--this is a team whose second leading forward by minutes played was Lee Melchionni. This is a team that started Reggie Love at power forward for four games--a walk-on wide receiver from the football team! We shouldn't be upset they lost in the sweet sixteen--we should be on our hands and knees in gratitude for a massively overachieving performance leading to the one-seed. Part of the "problem" in other words is that teams which simply do not have any business talent-wise being thought of as elite wind up being well-coached and get good seeds, but then eventually run out of steam. That's a relatively good problem to have in the grand scheme of being a fan.

You have a point here, and some of these were clearly real disappointments (2002, 2006, arguably 2011 and 2012 although injuries sort of cloud the issue in those years). But other years, I really don't think a reasonable fan base should think of as disappointing. Take 2005--this is a team whose second leading forward by minutes played was Lee Melchionni. This is a team that started Reggie Love at power forward for four games--a walk-on wide receiver from the football team! We shouldn't be upset they lost in the sweet sixteen--we should be on our hands and knees in gratitude for a massively overachieving performance leading to the one-seed. Part of the "problem" in other words is that teams which simply do not have any business talent-wise being thought of as elite wind up being well-coached and get good seeds, but then eventually run out of steam. That's a relatively good problem to have in the grand scheme of being a fan.
    I agree. A lot of this talk is really about our expectations as fans. Personally, I always hope we'll do well in the tournament, but rationally I don't always expect it. I never expect a national championship, for example. Although some years I expect a Final Four. Specifically, this century, I expected to make the Final Four in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, and 2011 (although by the time the tournament came around in 2011, the Kyrie situation tempered my expectations). So, to me, the team underperformed in 2002, 2006, and (sort of) 2011. While I'm always disappointed after a Duke loss, I didn't expect anything past the Sweet 16 in 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, or 2012, so the only times I felt the team underperformed were the two first round losses. Thus, speaking only of my own personal viewpoint, the team underperformed 5 out of 13 years this century. Is that a lot? No idea. My guess is it's no worse than anybody else.

Again in my personal view, if you expect a national championship every year, you're just asking to be disappointed. Nevertheless, it feels like that's the expectation of a lot of folks around here. If people didn't feel that way, perhaps they wouldn't complain about our tournament underperformance so much and instead (as suggested by Vick) might revel in our regular season overperformance leading to a high seed.

FWIW, before Ryan's injury I expected to make the Final Four this year. Depending on when Ryan gets back and how quickly we readjust to his presence, this season feels a little like 2011 to me right now. Hopefully we'll re-integrate Ryan better than we re-integrated Kyrie, and we'll have a happier ending.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Thanks for compiling this. It does appear, from this small sample of elite teams, that we are outperforming our Jan-March numbers in Nov/Dec moreso than other really good teams by virtue of playing that much better than the others in Nov/Dec.
    From the numbers bedeviled posted, it appears that we're also usually better in Jan/Feb. I'm guessing that if devil84 had separated out Mar/Apr for Jan/Feb in his analysis, it would have shown a more significant late-season drop.

Starters

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    From the numbers bedeviled posted, it appears that we're also usually better in Jan/Feb. I'm guessing that if devil84 had separated out Mar/Apr for Jan/Feb in his analysis, it would have shown a more significant late-season drop.
    The reason for this is the starters play too many minutes and are tired at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1029 View Post
    The reason for this is the starters play too many minutes and are tired at this point.
    I never laugh at these jokes, but this one got me with it's straightforward "honesty"!

I would like to point out that some coaches <cough, Roy> got boosts in their Mar/Apr win% from participating in the NIT instead of the winners' bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I've got them broken out. They are in order by tournament percentage. Note that this includes a year in the NIT for Carolina, Kentucky, and Connecticut; Butler has 2 years in the NCAA, one in the CIB, and one with no post season tourney. Again, all conference tournament games are in the March column (I had no way of separating them out).

Blue numbers represent the best percentage, red the worst.

Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Tourney
    Carolina 78.1% 84.8% 68.6% 71.0% 68.8% 84.2%
    Kentucky 83.9% 83.9% 78.4% 69.0% 78.9% 83.3%
    Duke 97.1% 92.3% 75.6% 85.3% 72.2% 76.9%
    Butler 69.0%
    75.0% 78.0% 82.4% 77.8% 75.0%
    Connecticut 90.0% 83.3% 60.5% 54.5% 50.0% 73.3%
    Michigan State 80.0% 80.6% 78.9% 62.1% 70.6% 73.3%
    Kansas 86.2% 90.6% 90.2% 87.1% 78.6% 60.0%

It's interesting that Kansas has some gaudy numbers in January and leads impressively in February, yet comes in last tournament winning percentage. Note that their championship came in 2008, which the year prior to the window for these stats.

Duke comes in 1st in November by a large margin, 1st in December, 4th in January, 2nd in February, 4th in March, and 3rd in tournaments.

Carolina comes in 5th, 3rd, 5th, 4th, and 5th -- pretty mediocre by these standards. Yet they are first in tournament winnings (aided by a deep run in the NIT the year after winning the NCAA Championship).

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Duke comes in 1st in November by a large margin, 1st in December, 4th in January, 2nd in February, 4th in March, and 3rd in tournaments.
    Thanks for the effort! Small correction: Duke is 5th in January. <shakes fist at January!!>
    Last edited by bedeviled; 01-24-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added emoticon for dramatic effect