Thread: 23 Enigma

23 Enigma

Has anyone thought about the Number 23 Enigma? it is the thought that incidents and events are connectedin some way to the number 23.

Ian Daffern wrote:

I woke up today at 10:13. Ten plus 13 is 23. This article is being published on Feb. 3 -- the second month and third day of the year, or 2/3. Forty-eight years ago on this day, a plane crash killed three legends of rock and roll: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper. Other culture heroes like William Shakespeare, Johnny Carson and River Phoenix each had their birth and death on the 23rd day of a month. Kurt Cobain died in the year 1994 (1 + 9 + 9 +4 = 23!).

interesting story:

The author William Burroughs is living in Tangiers, Morocco - he knows a Captain Clark who runs a ferry from Tangiers to Spain. Clark proudly tells Burroughs that he's been running the ferry for 23 years without an accident only to have the ferry sink on him that same day, killing everyone on board. In the evening, Burroughs switches on the radio and hears a news report about the crash of a passenger plane on a flight between New York and Miami, USA. The pilot was another Captain Clark and the flight was listed as Flight 23.
    is all this coincidence, reality or hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Has anyone thought about the Number 23 Enigma? it is the thought that incidents and events are connectedin some way to the number 23.

Ian Daffern wrote:

interesting story:

is all this coincidence, reality or hype?
    I was just telling someone the other night how the number 32 keeps coming up in my life. There is, of course, Laettner then other things like my first apt. # in Atlanta (3232) and the street address of my next residence: 3201 Spalding Forest Ct.

They then replied, "And you know I turn 32 in two weeks."

And of course, 32 is the reverse of.......23.

So to me, seriously, it freaks me out a little. Interesting

-EarlJam

The Number 23

It was also a movie, http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

it was released on 2/23, and seen by a total of 23 people.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    It was also a movie, http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0481369/

it was released on 2/23, and seen by a total of 23 people.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
    that movie look absolutely ridiculous, i remember laughing my [bottom] off in the theater watching the preview.

seriously thought, this 23 business is crap - if you look hard enought and if you really want to (consciously or not) you can find any kind of pattern like this.
    Last edited by NovaScotian; 08-15-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sorry

I'm with wikipedia

The 23 enigma can be viewed as an example of apophenia, selection bias, and confirmation bias.
    I'm with Wikipedia, this is just silly. The human brain is great at pattern matching, and that leads us to find meaning in random sequences, giving birth to numerology and other pseudo-scientific nonsense.