Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Georgia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Mods...feel free to change the title to an MBB Pre-game thread if you like

Does Josh start?
    I'll say yes

Does Sheed start?
    I'll say maybe

Can't rule out a lineup change for one game or more when Sheed goes 0-10 with 0 rebounds and 0 assists and Coach K says
    “Really since coming back from Christmas, he really hasn’t played that well in all aspects of the game. He’s been OK, but he hasn’t come close to playing the way he was, and sometimes, especially a younger player, if the ball is not going in, it can have an adverse effect on other aspects of your game, and that might be what’s happening with him."
    Thinking back, Coach K benched Austin for one game, right around this time of year. He had 4 points vs Clemson, and didn't start 1/19 vs Wake; he responded well and came off the bench to score 20 points; he started the following game vs Florida State and continued good play with 19 points.

In support of no lineup change involving Sheed:
    The lineup is unsettled as it is with the loss of Ryan
    The alternatives (start Tyler? Murphy?) aren't necessarily compelling

In support of a lineup change involving Sheed:
    Coach K wants to send a message to the player and team
    There's a decent interval from the last game and then some time off after that; enough for the staff to hash over changes and then re-evaluate.

Thoughts?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke vs. Georgia Tech (Jan 17, 2013) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I would expect a shakeup of sorts in the starting line up for this game actually. I think Rasheed sits for the same reason Austin sat last year after the Clemson game. Given the slump, coming off the bench for a game or two may do Rasheed well. One mistake Rasheed has been making lately, and was mentioned by others, is his approach when driving. He is making the fatal mistake of avoiding a blocked shot at all costs. That is a big no no. You have to seek the contact, and go right into the chest of the defender with a mindset of drawing the foul first, and if the shot goes in, view it as a bonus. Go to the line and see the ball go through the hoop. I think Rasheed will snap out of the funk. Just a matter of when.

I would expect the starting line up of Quinn, Seth, Tyler, Josh, Mason. With Rasheed and Amile being first off the bench. Alex will get some burn depending on how Rasheed and Tyler are playing, and how effective Seth is given the injury. If Mason comes out for a breather, Marshall will sub in for him.

Tech seems to be improved. The big kid Miller is playing well, and the team is better defensively. Mfon Udofia is back for his 9th year to provide leadership from the guard spot.

K will probably make some tweaks to the offense to offset the loss of having a shooter at the 4 Spot. I am interested to see what he does there. If we can get strong scoring from Mason, Seth, and Quinn we should be ok offensively. Defensively, Josh and Amile need to defend well w/o fouling.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 01-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I would expect the starting line up of Quinn, Seth, Tyler, Josh, Mason. With Rasheed and Amile being first off the bench. Alex will get some burn depending on how Rasheed and Tyler are playing, and how effective Seth is given the injury. If Mason comes out for a breather, Marshall will sub in for him.

Tech seems to be improved. The big kid Miller is playing well, and the team is better defensively. Mfon Udofia is back for this 9th year to provide leadership from the guard spot.

K will probably make some tweaks to the offense to offset the loss of having a shooter at the 4 Spot. I am interested to see what he does there. If we can get strong scoring from Mason, Seth, and Quinn we should be ok offensively. Defensively, Josh and Amile need to defend well w/o fouling.
    I'll be very surprised if Tyler, Seth, and Quinn start together. Makes us very small and not particularly athletic on the perimeter, which was a big part of our problem on defense last year. We'd also be offensively challenged at two positions, making it easier for GT to focus on stopping Mason and Seth.

I'm going to bet that we don't see a change to the starting lineup. Rasheed is obviously the guy over the longer term, and Coach K is big on developing units - we have a new starting five for the foreseeable future, and they need game time to develop together.

That being said, if there was ever a game to experiment, this is it. I think we could beat GT with me starting.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    I'll be very surprised if Tyler, Seth, and Quinn start together. Makes us very small and not particularly athletic on the perimeter, which was a big part of our problem on defense last year. We'd also be offensively challenged at two positions, making it easier for GT to focus on stopping Mason and Seth.

I'm going to bet that we don't see a change to the starting lineup. But if there was ever a game to experiment, this is it.
    I won't. Tyler has been the main backup for all 3 of the perimeter players, and K has used every possible combination with those 4 players in every game. So it won't be the first game where Tyler, Seth, and Quinn are on the floor at the same time. It will just be the first time they started together. If you are going to remove Rasheed from the starting line up for a game or two, it is the only option, based on how K has played it this year. He won't start Amile at the 3 as we need him to back up Josh, and he won't start Alex because Alex is currently not in the regular rotation. So it is either start Rasheed like normal, or start Tyler for Rasheed.

He may start Rasheed, but I will be surprised at that based on K's comments about Rasheed in this weeks Daily DBR clips.

I'm with the camp that thinks there will not be a change in the starting lineup from the State game. And I am sure that Amile will get some good minutes in this game.

I WOULD be interested to see a bit more of the Mason and Marshall lineup that appeared briefly in the State game. I think that has the potential to present some real problems for our opponents if Marshall can play within the proper role for him.

Well... as unconventional as it may have seemed at the time in 2001... Coach K made Chris Dohon start, Nate come off the bench, and had Shane jump to the top of the key against the unc PG. Very unconventional, but well planned. Maybe Coach K and staff will again come up with another unconvetional plan... with Marshall at "C", and Mason roaming the "4" spot.

Or, as one team I heard did... have Mason positioned at the top of the key when the opposing PG comes down the court. Seeing Mason as his first "obstacle" may just frazzle him. At least for a few times...

GO DUKE!!!!

Seth

I gather from the homepage article that K has said something like, "We expect Seth will be ready to play Thurs night."

This is definitely good news in the obvious sense that Seth's ankle sprain from NCSt game was minor. But as I posted on the Seth injury thread, I was/am hoping Seth is held out of the GaTech game, as a super-precaution against further injury, and just to let Seth get more rest in this 10 day period with only 1 game.

I do realize that his ankle might be totally healed from the minor sprain, and that a few extra days of rest might not have any healing effect whatsoever on his longer-term shin splints [or whatever he has]. Nevertheless, it's plausible that the rest would help a little; and I'd be for that, even at the risk of playing GaTech with 2 senior starters missing.

Maybe I'm overthinking and overworrying about Seth's injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I gather from the homepage article that K has said something like, "We expect Seth will be ready to play Thurs night."

This is definitely good news in the obvious sense that Seth's ankle sprain from NCSt game was minor. But as I posted on the Seth injury thread, I was/am hoping Seth is held out of the GaTech game, as a super-precaution against further injury, and just to let Seth get more rest in this 10 day period with only 1 game.

I do realize that his ankle might be totally healed from the minor sprain, and that a few extra days of rest might not have any healing effect whatsoever on his longer-term shin splints [or whatever he has]. Nevertheless, it's plausible that the rest would help a little; and I'd be for that, even at the risk of playing GaTech with 2 senior starters missing.

Maybe I'm overthinking and overworrying about Seth's injuries.
    A game off might not be a bad idea, but Seth is going to play. It's his last year of college basketball. He's not going to sit out. I wouldn't either, if I were him.

I believe Sulaimon's tough perimeter defense might be enough to keep him in the starting line-up. He remains a difference maker on defense even though he is struggling scoring the ball. I'd like to see Coach K allow him to play through his slump.

Tech's Jason Morris is out 2-3 weeks with an injured foot:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/colle...3-weeks/nTxJh/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe Sulaimon's tough perimeter defense might be enough to keep him in the starting line-up. He remains a difference maker on defense even though he is struggling scoring the ball. I'd like to see Coach K allow him to play through his slump.

Tech's Jason Morris is out 2-3 weeks with an injured foot:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/colle...3-weeks/nTxJh/
    Morris being out certainly hurts their depth at SF. He was the primary backup to Georges-Hunt. The downside is that means more minutes for their leading scorer (Georges-Hunt). They'll also fill in with Bolden and Reed, a pair of 6'3" guards.

Still, this is a Ga Tech team that REALLY struggles to score. They're 234th in the country offensively per Pomeroy. Nobody on the team averages 11ppg, and only 3 guys reach 10 ppg. They don't shoot the 3 well (Morris was their best 3pt shooter; Udofia is the only other good 3pt shooter they have), and they aren't that efficient inside the 3pt line either (only Holsey shoots over 50% from the field).

They are good defensively (19th in Pomeroy), and they are athletic. Miller is a good defensive C, and his size could give Mason some challenges. But I think their inability to score will keep them from threatening us in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I won't. Tyler has been the main backup for all 3 of the perimeter players, and K has used every possible combination with those 4 players in every game. So it won't be the first game where Tyler, Seth, and Quinn are on the floor at the same time. It will just be the first time they started together. If you are going to remove Rasheed from the starting line up for a game or two, it is the only option, based on how K has played it this year. He won't start Amile at the 3 as we need him to back up Josh, and he won't start Alex because Alex is currently not in the regular rotation. So it is either start Rasheed like normal, or start Tyler for Rasheed.

He may start Rasheed, but I will be surprised at that based on K's comments about Rasheed in this weeks Daily DBR clips.
    While I am beginning to resign to the likelihood that Alex won't see meaningful minutes this year, I do wonder why. All normal retorts aside, to my eye his time on the court has seemed to be a cut above the freshmen standard. He seems engaged, has made some level-headed plays, and spreads the floor very well (really gets to the deep corner of the court - where he has made a couple threes).

Amile, to my eye and by contrast, seems to have more pros but also more cons - a level of variance that seems more standard for freshmen.

Perhaps it's because a majority of Alex's minutes have come in garbage time. But I would really like to give him a run and see what happens. Seems like this is a game we may be able to afford it.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    A game off might not be a bad idea, but Seth is going to play. It's his last year of college basketball. He's not going to sit out. I wouldn't either, if I were him.
    Agreed. If there's an option to play, I see no way Curry elects to sit out. Especially with a week off afterwards. He has less than 25 games left in his collegiate career, and I'm sure he wants to enjoy every last one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    While I am beginning to resign to the likelihood that Alex won't see meaningful minutes this year, I do wonder why. All normal retorts aside, to my eye his time on the court has seemed to be a cut above the freshmen standard. He seems engaged, has made some level-headed plays, and spreads the floor very well (really gets to the deep corner of the court - where he has made a couple threes).

Amile, to my eye and by contrast, seems to have more pros but also more cons - a level of variance that seems more standard for freshmen.

Perhaps it's because a majority of Alex's minutes have come in garbage time. But I would really like to give him a run and see what happens. Seems like this is a game we may be able to afford it.

- Chillin
    I don't know. It's just my subjective observation, but to me it looks like the game is a little fast for Alex. He seems a bit frenetic when he's out there. Sort of like Marty Pocius and Olek Czyz looked in their time, although I think Alex is a lot better than either of those guys. Things will slow down for Alex in time and he'll be really good, but I'm not sure it's going to happen this season. Amile is energetic and his defensive positioning needs a lot of work, but the game seems to come to him more slowly. I think he's closer to being ready.

Well then I guess I am the only one who thinks if their is a lineup change it would be with Alex starting but Rasheed getting most the minutes.

Cook
    Seth
    Alex
    Josh
    Mason

Sheed
    Tyler
    Amile

1st break in the action I would expect Sheed and Tyler come in for Alex and Seth.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. If there's an option to play, I see no way Curry elects to sit out. Especially with a week off afterwards. He has less than 25 games left in his collegiate career, and I'm sure he wants to enjoy every last one of them.
    It's a good point that you and licc85 make. I'm hoping Duke plays exactly 1 fewer than 25 games the remainder of the season, and that Seth will play in and enjoy all of them - including the very last one - except GaTech.

I've no doubt that there is an option for Seth to play. I hope that option is viable because his ankle is 100% healthy, not 80%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't know. It's just my subjective observation, but to me it looks like the game is a little fast for Alex. He seems a bit frenetic when he's out there. Sort of like Marty Pocius and Olek Czyz looked in their time, although I think Alex is a lot better than either of those guys. Things will slow down for Alex in time and he'll be really good, but I'm not sure it's going to happen this season. Amile is energetic and his defensive positioning needs a lot of work, but the game seems to come to him more slowly. I think he's closer to being ready.
    I agree that Amile may be closer to ready but perhaps with more variance. But who's to say since it's my subjective observation as well.

I guess my desire to see Alex out there stems more from the fact that with Rasheed struggling, our arguably best 3pt shooter out, a decrease in floor spacing (at least against NC St), and a lack of perimeter height in a lineup featuring Seth-Quinn-Tyler, Alex seems a logical plug in these areas. Not to mention we have Josh who overlaps with Amile in many ways.

I realize that has no bearing on his readiness, though. Perhaps wishful thinking.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Well then I guess I am the only one who thinks if their is a lineup change it would be with Alex starting but Rasheed getting most the minutes.

Cook
    Seth
    Alex
    Josh
    Mason

Sheed
    Tyler
    Amile

1st break in the action I would expect Sheed and Tyler come in for Alex and Seth.
    One of the reasons that you may be the only person to think that is that, in all but 2 games (Delaware and Wake), Alex has gotten the fewest minutes of all the players listed above. In terms of minutes (which usually, but does not always, equate to K's confidence in the player), Alex is very clearly 8th on the list. I'm not saying you're wrong, because I obviously have no idea what's in K's head about the starting lineup for tomorrow, but I will say that I think Alex is the least likely choice to start.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, because I obviously have no idea what's in K's head about the starting lineup for tomorrow, but I will say that I think Alex is the least likely choice to start.
    I've already stated I believe Sulaimon will still start, but if Coach K decides to shake up the line-up by sitting the slumping Sulaimon, I am confident either Thornton or Jefferson will be the new starter. I don't see Murphy getting the call; however, what do I know? Not much, I assure you.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I've already stated I believe Sulaimon will still start, but if Coach K decides to shake up the line-up by sitting the slumping Sulaimon, I am confident either Thornton or Jefferson will be the new starter. I don't see Murphy getting the call; however, what do I know? Not much, I assure you.
    Are you implying a Cook-Curry-Jefferson-Hairston-Plumlee lineup?

Seems pretty clogged for Mase.

- Chillin