Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    If Kelly is out Saturday, it'd be very interesting to see how it impacts the bench. Likely Hairston would start, but you would have to imagine increased run for Murphy and Marshall. It really would hurt in this particular game to short-handed up front w/ what NCSU has. At the same time, I rest RK unless he is 100%. This is a game in early January and there is no sense in losing him for an extended period. I hope Ryan has a speedy recovery and returns soon. I would hate to see him miss a long time considering it being his senior season and how well he has played this year.

No news...

So, is no news good news? Or bad news? Or just no news? Anyone care to speculate on what our speculation should be about no news?

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    So, is no news good news? Or bad news? Or just no news? Anyone care to speculate on what our speculation should be about no news?
    Some say the glass is half-empty, some say the glass is half-full.

I say "bartender, keep 'em coming."

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    At this point, Doctors are 90% sure Kelly has 5 metatarsals in his right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Some say the glass is half-empty, some say the glass is half-full.

I say "bartender, keep 'em coming."
    I'm with you. But trying to be serious, I'm guessing no news is no news--either because they are waiting for someone (or someone else) to look at the test results or because they aren't sure yet what the implications of what they have heard are for Kelly's ability to play, or maybe just because they wanna mess with NCState for another day or two Given he just had his exam this morning, it's hard to draw any conclusions from the silence.

His girlfriend just posted on twitter "Everything happens for a reason"

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Where are all the folks who wet themselves because we do not get enough bench time during the season?

Having said this, we already have Seth playing with an injury. Have to assume this is precautionary/workable until confirmed differently.
    Exactly what do you expect anyone would say? That they're happy Ryan is injured. While I don't mind seeing what our other kids can do, I doubt there is anyone on the board who would want a position to come open due to an injury to another player.

Well... I was expecting to hear something by now... Especially considering they announced the time of day he was to have the MRI.

"Ryan Kelly is out indefinitely with a right foot injury."

So says the offiical Duke bball Twitter account.

Ryan Kelly is sidelined indefinitely with right foot injury

From the Duke Men's Basketball twitter feed, "Ryan Kelly is sidelined indefinitely with right foot injury. Avg. 14.4 points and shot 67.7 pct from 3pt range in Duke's previous 9 game"

This is bad news

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    One of the great things about this year's team is that all players seemed to have and know their roles. Ryan was playing what some call the "stretch 4."
    He was tall enough that a short guy could not guard him and a good enough outside shot that the big guy guarding him out to go outside, which opened up the inside. I don't know if we have anyone else who can really play that position.

So its not a simple matter of putting in a replacement. Not sure if we have another "big" who shoots well enough from the outside to require close guarding.

If there is good news in this its that the best coach and the best coaching staff in college basketball had 4 days to figure out what to do.

SoCal

Best wishes to Kelly on a speedy recovery.

bummer...ugh....i feel for these athletes...they give their bodies up...yes, it's part of the game, but man they ALL (injuries) seem so untimely...

dang

"One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

starter saturday?

maybe amile jefferson gets the start so Coach can stick with his bench rotation? will be interesting to see if its Hairston or not.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi90 View Post
    maybe amile jefferson gets the start so Coach can stick with his bench rotation? will be interesting to see if its Hairston or not.
    I would bet it's going to be Hairston although I would personally like to see Amile, especially since he chose us over NC State!

Aaaarrrgggghhh

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post

So says the offiical Duke bball Twitter account.
    What a bummer, and it's way too late to redshirt. Never like for it to happen to any player, but it stings the most when it's a senior captain who is off to a banner season. Hope he has a speedy and complete recovery!

There is a major opportunity for Alex, Amile, and Josh to step up into a completely new role for this team. It's a great thing that we have players with such potential available this year.

Unfortunately, whoever this is, it is going to change the team dynamic, and likely make things a little tougher for Mason. Alex may be the most similar to Ryan, in that he can handle the ball and has some semblance of an outside shot, but he is not going to shoot over 50% from 3 over a span of 9 games anytime this year!

Good luck RK, hope to see you back in form well before the tourney!

Jeff Goodman has been tweeting about the injury:
    More on Ryan Kelly from source: "It's not broken. He just re-aggravated a previous injury. Hoping its just a couple weeks"
    And earlier: "It'll be at least a couple weeks. Minimum."

I guess the good news is that it's not broken. Hopefully, Ryan will be back soon.

"We feel very badly for Ryan," said Krzyzewski. "He is playing the best basketball of his career and this is a tough setback for him. We're hoping for a good recovery and we are optimistic about his return."

Link

Atleast at this point they are optimistic he will be back.

Are we going to see a double Plumlee?

Sucks, but we're built to withstand it at this position. At least one of Jefferson/Murphy will likely turn out to be capable enough to hold down the fort.