Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page. Hey, you da man, and it's fun to a point. But maybe we could just have an Earljam thread or something instead?

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    That sounds scary as hell - but I, EarlJam, will do it.

Hey Colchar, where in Canada do you live? Near Toronto? Can you make that game?

Anyone in Canada? I've never met a real Canadian before.

-EarlJam
    Yeah I am near Toronto. I grew up 15 minutes outside the city and my parents still live in the same house. I currently live about an hour away but it would be easy for me to jump on the highway and make my way there.

I'm not sure what my scedule is like that weekend in terms of preparing for classes I have to teach, etc. but let me look into it (I will know for certain around 5 September). Even if I can't make the game, I could most likely make it for a drink or twelve.

That's the cheapest airfare I can currently find (Atlanta to Toronto).

$520.00

EarlJam wishes not to pay that amount. Seems a bit steep.

Anyone got any suggestions or inside connections?

-EarlJam
    Air Canada can get you here and back (depending on which flights and days you choose) for $501. There have to be cheaper flights out there somewhere. I am sure there are plenty of discount carriers in the US that can get you here for significantly less than that. Heck, for that $500 I can (and have) fly to Britain.

Thanks Jim3K. Only thing is, I've moved a few times since it expired and I'm not exactly sure I can find it. It takes 2 weeks just to get a letter confirming that I've applied? Geesh.

Would it just be easier to fly into some place near the border and cab it across?

Earl "in a" Jam
    Cab it from the US border to Toronto? Yeah right. The flight will cost you less than the cab fare.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    For the benefit of those of you in the south east this week, I am in the Toronto area right now having flown up from RDU yesterday. Last night we sat outside for dinner and appreciated the cool Canadian breezes. Our host & business partner says tonight we may not be able to sit outside since it seems "kind of humid today". Those of us from the Triangle disagree with this characterization - too us it seems like fantastic weather.
    Wish I had known you were in town.

And my roommate and I were remarking earlier today that we have had a mild summer compared to last year.

Where in the Toronto "area" are you exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page. Hey, you da man, and it's fun to a point. But maybe we could just have an Earljam thread or something instead?
    Holy sh&t. Have I offended? I hope I haven't. Don't mean too. Just addicted. It's kind of a compliment, ya know?

-EarlJam

EarlJam averages roughly 2 new threads per day, but had one day where he came up with 4 or 5. On that day, EarlJam apologized, as he was having difficulty figuring out how to put it into a poll (the three lyric-based threads). He also submitted one that he meant to submit in another. I imagine that activity on the off-topic board will change once basketball season returns.

Due to both low activity on other topics AND due to how long EJ's topics seem to stick (e.g., the JOKES thread, dude jumping into a Saskatchewan wheat field, etc...), we are in a phase in which 9 or so EJ threads are on the first off-topic page. All it takes is a few new posts on some older threads (e.g., reality-show threads, book reviews, kite-flying, travel) and a couple new threads (e.g., movie reviews) to address the issue.

I'm wondering if some sort of folder function exists, as the offtopic board is expanding quickly. The popular "if you were stranded"/soundtrack music list threads recently appeared, but are very similar. Travel threads seem to emerge the same way. Perhaps it's just the nature of the off-topic board. Many topics DO emerge.

I do like the emergence of the "all things related to one topic" type threads, such as the one for cycling. Even if it's bumped to page two, I know it's there, and I know where to post.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

That's the cheapest airfare I can currently find (Atlanta to Toronto).

$520.00

EarlJam wishes not to pay that amount. Seems a bit steep.

Anyone got any suggestions or inside connections?

-EarlJam
    I found the following flights for $393 on Orbitz. The times are not ideal in my book, but this isn't about me.

Leave

Fri, Sep 14

US Airways 2640
    operated by MESA DBA AMERICA WEST EXPRESS
    US Airways

Depart:
    5:30am
    Arrive:
    6:47am

Atlanta, GA (ATL)
    Charlotte, NC (CLT)
    1 stop

* Economy
    * 1hr 17min
    * Canadair 900
    * View seats

Change planes. Time between flights: 2hr 43min

US Airways 3468
    operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-REPUBLIC AIRLINES
    US Airways

Depart:
    9:30am
    Arrive:
    11:26am

Charlotte, NC (CLT)
    Toronto, Canada (YYZ)

* Economy
    * 1hr 56min
    * Embraer 170
    * View seats

Total duration: 5hr 56min

Choose this return

Return

Sun, Sep 16

US Airways 1818
    US Airways

Depart:
    6:30am
    Arrive:
    8:39am

Toronto, Canada (YYZ)
    Charlotte, NC (CLT)
    1 stop

* Economy
    * 2hr 9min
    * Boeing 737
    * View seats

Change planes. Time between flights: 3hr 6min

US Airways 1400
    US Airways

Depart:
    11:45am
    Arrive:
    1:09pm

Charlotte, NC (CLT)
    Atlanta, GA (ATL)

* Economy
    * 1hr 24min
    * Boeing 737
    * View seats

Total duration: 6hr 39min

P.S. After looking at the page I pulled up a little more closely (should have done that before posting the above) I found more reasonable flight times, later in the morning both days.
    Last edited by TillyGalore; 08-16-2007 at 09:51 AM.

FWIW, I have just noticed that EarlJam has started 9 of the 20 threads on the front page.
    So? What does it matter?

Now that I think about it, I can't believe you actually conducted a thread count on this. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    So? What does it matter?
    Agreed. I love youz guyz. And while there have been plenty of silly, "fun to a point" posts, I've actually learned a lot here and you all are an incredible resource for information.

Sure, it may be a bit over the top at times, but daymn. Agreed. What does it matter?

-EarlJam

EarlJam, no oiffense meant on the thread count. Just barroom banter, ya know? A little bit of a poke but far from a big one! I figured you could take it.

EarlJam, no oiffense meant on the thread count. Just barroom banter, ya know? A little bit of a poke but far from a big one! I figured you could take it.
    I took it. It was good. Beyond good. Seriously, it's cool. Mapei is on my "Cool Mutha F^ka list."

-EarlJam

BTW, my misspelling of "oiffense" wasn't intentional, but I think it fits so I'm keeping it.

I took it. It was good. Beyond good. Seriously, it's cool. Mapei is on my "Cool Mutha F^ka list."

-EarlJam
    Hey Earl, I enjoy humor, I enjoy sarcasm, I enjoy "cute" but I don't enjoy the dirty language. Please tone it down, just for me. Thanks.

BTW, my misspelling of "oiffense" wasn't intentional, but I think it fits so I'm keeping it.
    I noticed that and liked it as well. Pronounced, "Oy Fence?" Dig it.

-Earljam