Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wallace Wade Stadium

Um...clarification?
    Where did this come from?
    Is this officially planned, or is it just a proposal?
    Will the Central Campus monorail stop there?
    How the hell is Duke winning in that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Dukie View Post

Why is the scoreboard facing away from the playing field? So the students tailgating in the parking lot can see it? And it doesn't look like the new and improved stadium has done much for the crowd size in general, either. I see only 2 fans in the top picture.

Up 2 touchdowns early in the 4th quarter? Too much time left on the clock!
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 08-14-2007 at 08:24 AM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It's an additional scoreboard and will dual for concourse events. The little blue lines you see in the top picture represents people in blueprints.

Among the additions ill be modern bathrooms and concession stands and a remodeled press box.

What you are seeing is the North Entrance, where there ill be a fanzone and ticket pavilion.

There will be club lxury suevel seating and luxury suites. There will also be field level seating on both sides as well as the endzone.

While the drawing doesn't seem to have the track, I am pretty sure it will remain and don't know how this will change proposed seating.

There are already survey teams at work around Wade and the construction will start in 2008 after the Coach K Center for Athletic Excellence is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    It's an additional scoreboard and will dual for concourse events. The little blue lines you see in the top picture represents people in blueprints.

Among the additions ill be modern bathrooms and concession stands and a remodeled press box.

What you are seeing is the North Entrance, where there ill be a fanzone and ticket pavilion.

There will be club lxury suevel seating and luxury suites. There will also be field level seating on both sides as well as the endzone.

While the drawing doesn't seem to have the track, I am pretty sure it will remain and don't know how this will change proposed seating.

There are already survey teams at work around Wade and the construction will start in 2008 after the Coach K Center for Athletic Excellence is finished.
    Sounds like a plan to me. And to think that the Administration came up with this idea without input from the "concerned" members of this board. Or maybe they did have input?

But seriously...is there going to be a Duke monorail stop there?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Only if they can get the train built beyond the RDU Airport.

Thanks watzone for the info. Looks like Wade will look a little like the LA Coliseum, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post

this will look real nice facing Cameron and make for a tremendous athletics courtyard. What changes will be in store for the East gate facing the "blue zone" and the West gate by Finch-Yeager?

Where did the pics come from? Is there a web page discussing this?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It'll be on the North Haverbrook line.

Why are we playing "Guest"? It's a brand new sophistimacated jumbomatron, but all it can display for the opponent is "Guest"? Even the current scoreboard is better than this!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Where did the pics come from? Is there a web page discussing this?
    Yes.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...6693#post36693

Prices

Mark or anyone else in the know,

has there been any discussion as to the prices for the luxury boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Dude, All that link does is get me back to your post about the Duke monorail.

the only info i can find is "Wallace Wade Stadium Renovations Include Track & Field Facility"
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 08-14-2007 at 01:11 PM.

FDA is gonna have a fit. Don't anybody tell him.

Unless that track can levitate, I just don't see the room for it with those new on-field seats. When they changed to 8 lanes years ago, it was a tight fit.

With or without a track, on-field seats will not work, except in the end zones. Sight lines would be impossible, because of all those coaches and players standing along the sidelines. My seats are row EE, and I miss a lot of the action that is close to the sideline. Coach Wade liked to watch the game seated on the bench, so the players all either sat on the bench or watched from behind it.

The back of the football media guide has all the details.

That goduke link about the track is disappointing. Feels nice walking on it, but it belongs elsewhere. It makes about as much sense as inviting prior cheerleaders to "kick" at Homecoming. When was the track added--early 70's?---I understand the author is collectively putting football and track in a historical context, but the track represents very little of that history--and is the butt of endless jokes around the conference. I will say that I love the rendering. It does have a coliseum feel to it, and is reminiscient of Scott Stadium with the colonnades. I think that's a good move.

The site lines could be corrected, if the field was lowered...doesn't appear that will happen, though.
    Last edited by devilirium; 08-15-2007 at 12:52 AM.

Alumni cheer and the track (separate issues)

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    That goduke link about the track is disappointing. Feels nice walking on it, but it belongs elsewhere. It makes about as much sense as inviting prior cheerleaders to "kick" at Homecoming. When was the track added--early 70's?---I understand the author is collectively putting football and track in a historical context, but the track represents very little of that history--and is the butt of endless jokes around the conference. I will say that I love the rendering. It does have a coliseum feel to it, and is reminiscient of Scott Stadium with the colonnades. I think that's a good move.

The site lines could be corrected, if the field was lowered...doesn't appear that will happen, though.
    You don't like the "alumni cheer" at homecoming? I can tell you that most of the alumni in attendance at football games do. I'd still like to watch Vicki Bubas and Liana Silsby cheer.

As to the track, it was there in the 70's when I was an undergrad. And it has hosted at least one major international track and field event "back in the day". I believe even the Olympic trials ~30 years ago. That is when NCCU's Coach Walker was the pre-eminent track coach in the nation.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I was first in Wallace Wade in 66 or 67 (before it was Wallace Wade) and I remember the track being there. However, seeing as I was 7 or 8 at the time my memory may not be all that accurate.

In 1976, I attended a major track and field event at WW. I can't recall the name of the event, but WW was practically empty and Bob Hayes was sitting one row behind me.
    Bob Green