Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Vick, Dangerous Dogs, Dogfighting

It also appears that Vick's other two codefendants have agreed to cop a plea. What are the odds vick tries to stand it alone? Will he plea out or will he stick to his guns and fight it?

No need to speculate. Wait about 1 - 15 days and you will find out.

The AJC is somewhat noncommittal:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...ge_tab_newstab

Today's story on the matter says that "Vick...plans to keep fighting the charges," but also that his defense team was "very surprised" (a quote from a defense team spokesman) about the new plea deals. Lots of the AJC story is rehash/fluff, and it's essentially an overelaborate way of saying, "We have no effin' clue what's going on with this stuff, but it don't look good for MV7."

ESPN.com, on the other hand, is reporting that Vick's lawyers met with the feds and then with Vick himself yesterday and that he is "considering...whether to accept a plea agreement."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2972161

Guess I had better get on the Joey Harrington train for at least a couple of seasons. The funny thing is, I don't really think the Birds will be that much worse without Vick than they would have been with him. They're pretty much an eminently mediocre franchise, and I frequently find myself wondering why I root for them.

The Upside (or downside) of America

What will be interesting in the long term is seeing how this whole thing plays out for Vick. Cliche' but true: America loves a comeback story.

If he has the will and heart to truly change/turn things around, his future could be brighter than ever - not in football but in other senses of the word.

A movie, a book deal, highly visible spokesperson for change, etc. He has the brand and the capacity to be a huge influencer for positive change. I'm not advocating that movies, book deals, etc. is what he should strive for. Quite the opposite at this point. But in a Forrest Gump sort of way, if his remorse and motivation for change is real, true, then good things can certainly and will most likely come his way.

This is the "rock bottom" part of the Michael Vick Story. It's up to him to turn the rest of the story into an inspirational one. Will see what happens.

-EarlJam

For the alternative to the inspirational ending see: Chris Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    It also appears that Vick's other two codefendants have agreed to cop a plea. What are the odds vick tries to stand it alone? Will he plea out or will he stick to his guns and fight it?
    Or will the US Attorneys make a deal? i can't help but wonder how much of this is due to the fact that 8 US Attorneys were fired for not being aggressive enough?

6. Today's AJC seems more committal:

Michael Vick's attorneys are engaged in plea negotiations with federal prosecutors and the Falcons quarterback could reach an agreement before new federal dogfighting charges are handed down next week, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.

The negotiations follow news that two more of Vick's three co-defendants are scheduled to enter guilty pleas later this week as part of a deal with prosecutors.

Salary cap?

I've never been clear on the impact that this case will have on the Falcons' salary cap. Does anyone know what it will be? If Vick pleads guilty or is found guilty, and is booted out of the league, do the Falcons still take a hit of any size under the salary cap?
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    I've never been clear on the impact that this case will have on the Falcons' salary cap. Does anyone know what it will be? If Vick pleads guilty or is found guilty, and is booted out of the league, do the Falcons still take a hit of any size under the salary cap?
    They will definitely take a hit, specifically towards signing bonuses and any guaranteed $ he has been (or will be) paid. It will be interesting if he is sentenced to roughly a year or so whether they would cut him.
    "There can BE only one."

getting more and more ridiculous

South Carolina Inmate Hits Michael Vick With '$63,000,000,000 Billion (sic) Dollar' Lawsuit Alleging Al Qaeda Ties

The complaint goes on to allege that Vick sold the dogs on eBay and “used the proceeds to purchase missiles from the Iran government.”

The complaint also alleges that Vick would need those missiles because he pledged allegiance to Al Qaeda in February of this year.

Riches wants $63 billion dollars “backed by gold and silver “ delivered to the front gates to the Williamsburg Federal Correctional facility in South Carolina. Riches is an inmate at the facility serving out a wire fraud conviction.
    Great... I gave away the best part of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I think my favorite part was the line where the plaintiff says, "Michael Vick has to stop physically hurting my feelings and dashing my hopes." If hurt feelings and dashed hopes are legitimate grounds for a claim, this lawsuit could be brought as a class action on behalf of Falcons fans everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    I think my favorite part was the line where the plaintiff says, "Michael Vick has to stop physically hurting my feelings and dashing my hopes." If hurt feelings and dashed hopes are legitimate grounds for a claim, this lawsuit could be brought as a class action on behalf of Falcons fans everywhere.
    Beautiful, and agreed. What's this guy in jail for? It's amazing how easy it is to get your 15 minutes of fame these days. How much longer before he's being interviewed by Larry King?

-EJam

Vick sued for $63B

This is hilarious - you can't make this stuff up!
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293268,00.html

$63b

Sorry, didn't see this topic already covered in this thread. How do you think he came up with the amount, $63B? Why not $50B or $100B?

I didn't realize that Vick had pledged to support Al Qaeda.

Question was he going to throw them at Ft. Sumpter?

I'm not sure I would have been too worried, Vick with missiles. He didn't have that great a record of successful launches in the NFL.

There's a report that his possible plea deal includes prison. The Feds have a ton of leverage on him -- the pending superseding indictments include RICO charges.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I'm not sure I would have been too worried, Vick with missiles. He didn't have that great a record of successful launches in the NFL.
    Are you kidding? Vick launching missiles would be terrifying...there's no telling where they'd end up.

On the other hand, if recent history is any indication, whoever ended up on the receiving end of his missiles would just drop them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Are you kidding? Vick launching missiles would be terrifying...there's no telling where they'd end up.

On the other hand, if recent history is any indication, whoever ended up on the receiving end of his missiles would just drop them anyway.

My guess would be that:

1. He would be aiming for, and trying to injure, and nearby dogs. It is unlikely he would hit them. Or,

2. The missiles would be unable to successfully penetrate his infamous posse, and would result in an exploding maelstrom of bling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    exploding maelstrom of bling.
    Which would be a great name for a band!

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Which would be a great name for a band!
    You are right!!! Thanks!

How about "P-Shamm and the Exploding Maelstrom of Bling"?

Interesting column by ESPN's Michael Clayton. He says Vick is a huge longshot to ever play in the NFL again but suggests a year or two of rehabing his image in the Arena Football League.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=2977162

I must admit, I tend to think that if the NFL suspends Vick for a season or two, once the suspension is over some team (almost certainly not the Falcons) will sign MV and give him another chance. It may not be as a starting QB but he could be an interesting 3rd down QB for some teams or even as a reciever/pass-catching running back. The guy has skilz and if you can get those skilz for cheap...

-Jason "I bet the Cowboys take a flier on him... he and TO would be great friends " Evans