Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Men's 2007-08 Schedule

updating what's on the front page, here are the games listed in the ticket order, which arrived Saturday. Most dates have not been firmed up, only the ones listed are "confirmed"

10/27 Blue-White
    11/1 Shaw (exh.)
    11/3 Barton (exh.)
    NC Central
    New MExico State

Maui (3 games, Nov 19-21)

Eastern Kentucky
    Wisconsin (Big 11/10)
    12/1 at Davidson Bobcats Arena (tickets available through Duke)
    Michigan
    12/17 Albany
    12/20 Pitt at MSG (tickets available through Duke)

1/6 Cornell
    1/9 vs Temple in Wachovia Center (tickets available through Duke)
    Virginia
    at FSU
    Clemson
    at VPISU
    at Maryland
    NC State
    Miami
    at Evil Empire
    Boston College
    Maryland
    at Wake
    at Miami
    St Johns
    Georgia Tech
    at NC State
    at Virginia
    Evil Empire

ACC Tournament

Long break between the game in the Garden and the first game after Christmas.

Duke vs Wisconsin

Could someone fill me in on where Duke vs. Wisconsin will be held?

Thanks

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Anything that doesn't say "at" or "vs" is in Cameron. Including Wisconsin. (Other than Maui, of course!)

Cis

Cameron on Nov 27

Order of ACC games

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    updating what's on the front page, here are the games listed in the ticket order, which arrived Saturday. Most dates have not been firmed up, only the ones listed are "confirmed"

Virginia
    at FSU
    Clemson
    at VPISU
    at Maryland
    NC State
    Miami
    at Evil Empire
    Boston College
    Maryland
    at Wake
    at Miami
    St Johns
    Georgia Tech
    at NC State
    at Virginia
    Evil Empire

ACC Tournament

Long break between the game in the Garden and the first game after Christmas.
    Duke could have done a lot worse than starting with UVA who is not a good road team, then @ FSU who is young, home with Clemson, then @ VAT who lost three seniors.

Might have preferred to get GA Tech before they can groom a PG but other than that, Duke should get off to a good ACC start before the going gets tougher @ MD and hosting NC St.

As usual schedule is back end loaded with

Georgia Tech
    at NC State
    at Virginia
    Evil Empire

Blue-White game is a the mercy of the football home schedule but again last weekd in Oct whereas UNC's Late Night with Roy is Oct 12. So behind in the hype it up game.

Prior two yeears B-W game was prior weekend around Oct 22-23
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 08-13-2007 at 08:02 PM.

New Iron Duke

So, I am a new Iron Duke, and don't really quallify for season tickets ($500 contribution). But, will I get any type of mailing - maybe to buy tickets for the game in New York? or anything else?

Just not sure how it works completely?

Thanks,
    -Terri

You can always apply for tickets, but please don't hold your breath. You should receive a mailing soon offering non-season tickets for several games at home (NCCU, Albany, Cornell; $50 each); 2 preseason games (B-W, Shaw; $TBD); @Davidson ($25); @Temple (TBD); v. Pitt ($65).

I like that NCSU and Wake are tentatively weekend away games. At least Wake should have tickets available to the public at some time before 2008.

You sure will. Welcome to the Iron Dukes mailing list. They aim to please.

Let's make this one the official schedule thread.

-jk

Unhappy is DBR excited about this schedule?

ACCBallFan posted on the "old" schedule thread that we play games against 16 of the top 50 teams.

Obviously, 11 of those games have not been "scheduled" by Duke but are league commitments, leaving 5 games scheduled against top 50 competition. How does the rest of the board feel about this schedule - excited? disappointed? non-plussed?

Count me in the disappointed column, unfortunately.

(credit to ACCBallFan for pulling that - not sure what pre-season poll it's from)
    North Carolina 2
    Marquette 1 3
    Georgia Tech 1 4
    No Carol St 2 6
    Pittsburgh 1 7
    Wisconsin 1 8
    Virginia 2 10
    Clemson 1 11
    Davidson 1 12
    Illinois 1 13
    Maryland 2 15
    Boston College 1 16

s.i.

Seattle - that was just a compilation I did from a bunch of pre-season prediction links.

Not sure what difference it makes whether Athletic Director/ Coach K used selectivity or inherited a league or ACC/Big10 match-up.

At end of the day, RPI is driven by who they play, regardless of how much choice they had in the matter.

UNC for example has 19 but with some higher ranked ones, and also some more questionable mid majors more typical of a Duke schedule past few years

Duke UNC

UNC 2 0
    Louisville 1-1
    Duke 2-3
    Marquette 1
    Ohio State 1-4
    Georgia Tech 1 1-5
    No Carol St 2 2-7
    Pittsburgh 1
    Kentucky 1-8
    Wisconsin 1
    Virginia 2 1-9
    Clemson 1 2-11
    Davidson 1 1-12
    Illinois 1
    Maryland 2 1-13
    Boston College 1 2-15
    Nevada 1-16
    Kent State 1-17
    UC Santa Barbara 1-18
    Pennsylvania 1-19

Common opponents are GA T (1), NC St (2), Davidson, with differences in how many times they play some ACC top 50 teams

UVA and MD each play Duke 2 and UNC 1;

Clemson and BC each plays Duke 1 and UNC 2.

but as you say, neither had an discretion in the matter, for what that is worth.

with the relative strengths of MD-UVA and Clemson-BC almost a wash anyway.

The strength at the top also alternates:

UNC plays Louisv, Duke plays Marquette,

UNC plays Ohio St, Duke plays Pitt,

UNC plays UK, Duke plays Wisc,

Both play Davidson,

Duke plays Illini, and UNC plays Nevada-Kent St-UCSB and Penn, kinds of teams UNC fans have minimized when Duke was playing them last few years.

So Duke has one more game against power conferences while UNC has 4 more games against better mid-majors. Duke plays one more Big East and UNC plays an SEC with both playing one B10 by necessity.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 08-15-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Are we actually playing Central as a non-exhibition game?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Are we actually playing Central as a non-exhibition game?
    Yes, this has been reported a while back. NC Central made the move to D1 and we decided to make it a non-exhibition game. From the Herald-Sun (sorry, best link I could find on a quick search): "Duke-NCCU matchups set for 2007-08 6.1.2007 : 11:29 pm A cross-town rivalry is born. Duke and N.C. Central have announced they will square off in men's and women's basketball and share a home-and-home baseball series in the 2007-08 season."
    Link

I keep reading over the schedule, hoping that I missed the "Duke at Boise State" game somewhere. But alas... Duke really needs to play somewhere out west more than once every 10 years or so. *sigh*

temple

i will be there lets get together

Reformatted to hopefuly add some clarity and legibility with less head spinning

Schedule will be out this week and most opponents are already known.

Though both rivalries like to belittle the other's OOC, and take about how much discretion is exercised versus mandatory ACC and ACC/B10 match-ups, I find them pretty comparable with slight edge to UNC.

From another board where I posted: that was just a compilation I did from a bunch of pre-season prediction links.

Not sure what difference it makes whether Athletic Director/ Coach K used selectivity or inherited a league or ACC/Big10 match-up.

At end of the day, RPI is driven by who they play, regardless of how much choice they had in the matter.

UNC for example has 19 but with some higher ranked ones, and also some more questionable mid majors more typical of a Duke schedule past few years

Duke UNC Top 50 Opponent [Order below is attempt at ranking the Opponent, not order games are played in]

02-02 00-00 UNC [Duke plays UNC twice and total Top 50 so far =2, UNC of course does not play UNC so total so far is zero]

00-02 01-01 Louisville [Duke does not play Louisv so total remains 2 so far and UNC plays Louisv so total so far is one]

00-02 02-03 Duke [Duke remains at 2 so far and UNC plays Duke twice so total is now 3, etc]

01-03 00-03 Marquette (cumulative equal @ 3)

00-03 01-04 Ohio St
    01-04 01-05 GA Tech
    02-06 02-07 NC St

01-07 00-07 Pitt (cumulative equal @ 7)

00-07 01-08 U K

01-08 00-08 Wisc (cumulative equal @ 8)

02-10 01-09 UVA

01-11 -2-11 Clemson (cumulative equal @ 11)
    01-12 01-12 Davidson (cumulative equal @ 12)

01-13 00-12 Illinois
    02-15 01-13 Maryland
    01-16 02-15 B C

00-16 01-16 Nevada (cumulative equal @ 16)

00-16 01-17 Kent St
    00-16 01-18 UCSB
    00-16 01-19 Penn

Common opponents are GA T (1), NC St (2), Davidson, with differences in how many times they play some ACC top 50 teams

UVA and MD each play Duke 2 and UNC 1;

Clemson and BC each plays Duke 1 and UNC 2.

but neither had any discretion in the matter, for what that is worth.

with the relative strengths of MD-UVA and Clemson-BC almost a wash anyway.

The strength at the top also alternates:

UNC plays Louisville, Duke plays Marquette,

UNC plays Ohio St, Duke plays Pitt,

UNC plays UK, Duke plays Wisc,

Both play Davidson,

Duke plays Illini, and UNC plays Nevada-Kent St-UCSB and Penn, kinds of teams UNC fans have minimized when Duke was playing them last few years.

So Duke has one more game against power conferences while UNC has 4 more games against better mid-majors. Duke plays one more Big East and UNC plays an SEC with both playing one B10 by necessity.

Fortunately UNC has no new guys to bring up to speed this year as first OOC game is a difficult matchup with Davidson and ACC first 4 starts out pretty tough too, though at home with Clemson where streak prevails, NC State, at GA Tech, home vs MD, the four teams besides Duke and UNC expected to finish in top 6.

Good for UNC to get the GA T and NC State teams early before they can determine who their PG is going to be.

UNC-Louisv depends on bracket winners/losers but so does Duke-Marquette and Duke - Illinois which could also be Duke-AZ St.

If Duke were to lose that one and have to play Chaminade, SOS is SOL.

UNC-ODU semi-final before Louisville game is a done deal but ODU is not top 50.
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 08-16-2007 at 07:52 PM.

2007-2008 Basketball schedules for Palm/ Outlook out yet ?

Any Palm schedules out yet ?? or for those still stuck with Outlook, for that program ?

Men's Hoops schedule released

So; how many times do we play each team, and which teams do we expect to be good?

Lets break them into brackets of top tier, middle, and bottom.

Maryland x2 Middle
    Carolina x2 Top
    Virginia X2 Top
    NC State x2 Top
    Miami x2 Bottom
    GTech x1 Middle
    Wake x1 Bottom
    VTech x1 Middle
    BC x1 Middle
    FSU x1 Middle
    Clemson x1 Middle

Does this breakdown of tiers seem appropriate?
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 08-23-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Pretty weak non-conf schedule

Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois/Arizona St. and Pitt and no true road test untill the ACC season starts.

Similar to last year I guess.

Either way we should have a good record and high ranking going into the ACC season.

And for those of you who think Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois/Arizona St. and Pitt are qulaity non-conf teams.....maybe last year but all those teams will likely miss the tourney this year.

I'd prefer at least one true road test...say at Kentucky, Louisville or Texas A&M just to get our young squad ready for the ACC.