Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Four Best So Far: Duke, Indiana, Michigan, and ???

Now that we are 6 weeks or so into the season, I see four teams establishing themselves as "the best."

Obviously, we know all about Duke and how good they have played so far. I am really enjoying this season and look forward to seeing how good they become.

Indiana was thought of as the best team heading into the season and they haven't looked much different than one of or perhaps the best team. They have size with Zeller and Watford, athleticism with Oladipo and Sheahy, good point guard play, and depth. Due to the stupidity of the NCAA, they haven't even been playing with two of their reserve big men yet this season. The victory against UNC in Bloomington doesn't stack up against Duke's victories over Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, or VCU, but they did look darn good in destroying the Tar Heels in the second half.

I'm watching the Michigan game right now and they look darn good, too. They have very talented players on the wings with Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, Jr., and Nick Stauskas; size with Jordan Morgan and the improving Mitch McGary (Let's not get into that situation. I've seen a few games now, and while they don't run anything for him, he is providing size and rebounding for them.); and great floor spacing. We should expect floor spacing to be excellent given their coach. Glenn Robinson III looks like a really good freshman, too. He can play inside and out and is very athletic. I am really looking forward to seeing an Indiana-Michigan and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup. Even the Indiana-Ohio State matchups should be fun to watch.

These three teams seem to be the best to me, but Florida has looked legit, too. I've heard Syracuse is playing great as well. I haven't seen Florida or Syracuse right now. Are there four teams that have separated themselves from everyone else at this point? Is there a case that five teams are head and shoulders ahead? What say all of you?

Florida for sure.

I'd keep Louisville close to the top. We beat them, but they weren't at full strength. KenPom still has them ranked highly. Their talent and experience at backcourt and their defensive strength remind me of...well, a good Duke team!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'd keep Louisville close to the top. We beat them, but they weren't at full strength. KenPom still has them ranked highly. Their talent and experience at backcourt and their defensive strength remind me of...well, a good Duke team!
    absolutely UL. We beat them in a tight game when they were at less than full strength...other than that they trashed missouri the day before they played us.

they have memphis in a couple weeks and UK a few after that...they'll be very telling.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    These three teams seem to be the best to me, but Florida has looked legit, too. I've heard Syracuse is playing great as well. I haven't seen Florida or Syracuse right now. Are there four teams that have separated themselves from everyone else at this point? Is there a case that five teams are head and shoulders ahead? What say all of you?
    I've heard a lot about Syracuse looking impressive. But then again, UNC would look impressive with their schedule. Their most impressive win would be Duke's 4th most impressive win.

I also wouldn't say these 4/5/6 are head and shoulders above anyone else. I would be hard pressed to say they are heads above anyone. These top teams have been impressive in that they don't beat themselves but they haven't exactly been picking people apart. I was impressed with Indiana's dismantling of UNC but UNC isn't that impressive and IU struggled with a Georgetown team that just beat Towson 46-40.

I think this is a case of a lot of parity at the top and while people will try to distinguish who is best, it is a process in futility. Could see a 2/3 seed winning this year and not be surprised. Duke has the 2 most impressive victories with wins over top 10 teams but they didn't dismantle those teams. Duke found a way to win which is what good teams do but OSU looked like they were going to run away at CIS, if they were in Columbus, it might have been a different story.

Florida is really good... Their defense can be crippling. I would rank them ahead of Michigan.

Don't forget about Gonzaga! I think they'll show how good they are against Illinois tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Don't forget about Gonzaga! I think they'll show how good they are against Illinois tonight.
    The Zags are favored by 11.5 points... I will be very impressed if they cover.
    Last edited by subzero02; 12-08-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Florida

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Now that we are 6 weeks or so into the season, I see four teams establishing themselves as "the best."

Obviously, we know all about Duke and how good they have played so far. I am really enjoying this season and look forward to seeing how good they become.

Indiana was thought of as the best team heading into the season and they haven't looked much different than one of or perhaps the best team. They have size with Zeller and Watford, athleticism with Oladipo and Sheahy, good point guard play, and depth. Due to the stupidity of the NCAA, they haven't even been playing with two of their reserve big men yet this season. The victory against UNC in Bloomington doesn't stack up against Duke's victories over Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Minnesota, or VCU, but they did look darn good in destroying the Tar Heels in the second half.

I'm watching the Michigan game right now and they look darn good, too. They have very talented players on the wings with Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, Jr., and Nick Stauskas; size with Jordan Morgan and the improving Mitch McGary (Let's not get into that situation. I've seen a few games now, and while they don't run anything for him, he is providing size and rebounding for them.); and great floor spacing. We should expect floor spacing to be excellent given their coach. Glenn Robinson III looks like a really good freshman, too. He can play inside and out and is very athletic. I am really looking forward to seeing an Indiana-Michigan and a Michigan-Ohio State matchup. Even the Indiana-Ohio State matchups should be fun to watch.

I would think Florida is that 4th team right now.

I'm not sold on Michigan. Maybe it's because (except for the Amaker years) I can't stand them, but I think Hardaway creates chemistry issues. Each time I see them play, he does something childish and in the long run it will end them when they play a real "team". Another reason why I love this year's Duke team, they play as a unit as well as any I can remember, including 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    The Zags are favored by 11.5 points... I will be very impressed if they cover.
    Wow was I way off. Illinois gets an 11 point win at Gonzaga in the Kennel. Brandon Paul does it again. Much respect to Illinois.

Illinois shot very well tonight... This win will be a nice resume bullet point come selection time.

Florida. It's not even close. I think the top 3 are Duke, Indiana, and Florida, and then you can argue about Michigan / Louisville / Syracuse / Ohio State for #4.

Mitch McGary sure is setting a lot of screens tonight. Indiana is pushing the pace. Good game so far.

I finished second for a job there in 2006 and have never been to the basketball arena, but Assembly hall looks really excellent.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Indiana and Michigan put on a good game tonight. Indiana looked better, more balanced. But, of course, the game was at Indiana. Both teams are very, very good.

One thing about Michigan, John Beilien is a great basketball coach. I love the fact that he has coached, successfully, at every level - high school, small college, mid-major, big college, bigger college. The man has a system, but he also knows how to get the most out of his talent.

There's a small part of me that's scared Florida is just going to rip through everyone for the rest of the season, including March.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    There's a small part of me that's scared Florida is just going to rip through everyone for the rest of the season, including March.
    I can live with that if it means they'll struggle in April.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

I don't agree with the OP that we have established ourselves as one of the four best teams.
    Florida, Indiana, Michigan are definitely top three. Order doesn't matter. Florida is crushing teams with it's stingy defense and I fully believe that they will make the final four if they keep that type of defense.
    Indiana and Michigan have good offenses, although Indiana is still prone to inconsistencies every now and then.
    Beyond these three, there is no sure shot 4th best team. It is anybody's slot as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    I don't agree with the OP that we have established ourselves as one of the four best teams.
    Florida, Indiana, Michigan are definitely top three. Order doesn't matter. Florida is crushing teams with it's stingy defense and I fully believe that they will make the final four if they keep that type of defense.
    Indiana and Michigan have good offenses, although Indiana is still prone to inconsistencies every now and then.
    Beyond these three, there is no sure shot 4th best team. It is anybody's slot as of right now.
    This was done in the beginning of December. At that time, Duke was the best team in the country. Certainly Florida has put itself squarely in the discussion and even KU should be acknowledged. Personally, I think it is those 5 and then a drop off. Now Duke gets put in there mainly for what they did in November and December with a healthy Kelly so they are sort of the unknown but I think this will help with the selection committee at least.