Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions

So now that Rush, at long last, has finally been elected to the Hall, along with Randy Newman (I know -- is that Rock and Roll?), Heart, Public Enemy (not rock either), Donna Summer, and Albert King, what band or artist is the most glaring omission/who do you guys and gals think most deserves induction? I know it seems like just about everybody of any quality at all has gotten in, so it's not very exclusive, but there are still a number that have enjoyed varying levels of critical and/or commercial success that have not been honored. Among those mentioned in an article I read today are: Deep Purple, Yes, Jethro Tull, REO Speedwagon, the Moody Blues, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Procol Harem, and N.W.A.

I'm an admitted stickler on all Halls of Fame -- I like to keep them more exclusive than do many. And like I said above, so many acts have already gotten into this Hall. But still, to the group mentioned, I'd vote like this:

Deep Purple: no
    Yes: yes
    Jethro Tull: yes
    REO Speedwagon: no
    Moody Blues: no
    Joan Jett: no
    Procol Harem: no
    N.W.A. - I'd say no, but if Public Enemy is in, then NWA has to be in too.

What do y'all think of these bands' worthiness, and who else do you think would merit induction, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So now that Rush, at long last, has finally been elected to the Hall, along with Randy Newman (I know -- is that Rock and Roll?), Heart, Public Enemy (not rock either), Donna Summer, and Albert King, what band or artist is the most glaring omission/who do you guys and gals think most deserves induction? I know it seems like just about everybody of any quality at all has gotten in, so it's not very exclusive, but there are still a number that have enjoyed varying levels of critical and/or commercial success that have not been honored. Among those mentioned in an article I read today are: Deep Purple, Yes, Jethro Tull, REO Speedwagon, the Moody Blues, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, Procol Harem, and N.W.A.

I'm an admitted stickler on all Halls of Fame -- I like to keep them more exclusive than do many. And like I said above, so many acts have already gotten into this Hall. But still, to the group mentioned, I'd vote like this:

Deep Purple: no
    Yes: yes
    Jethro Tull: yes
    REO Speedwagon: no
    Moody Blues: no
    Joan Jett: no
    Procol Harem: no
    N.W.A. - I'd say no, but if Public Enemy is in, then NWA has to be in too.

What do y'all think of these bands' worthiness, and who else do you think would merit induction, and why?
    I am a big Rush fan, and their induction is about a decade too late IMHO, but I recognize that Rush isn't for everybody. At any rate, I'm having a hard time transferring my annual frustration to any of the bands above. I don't understand putting rap acts into a rock hall, but whatever. NWA is as deserving as Public Enemy. The rest of the bands I don't have a whole lot of real estate invested in.

Here is a good list of eligible acts:http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

KISS is typically mentioned at the top of the list of "snubs." Their musical abilities are nothing spectacular, but they certainly put on a event of a show and helped commercialize rock, and you can't argue that they weren't a commercial success. I think they eventually get in. Chicago is also on that list. I don't know as they make it, but then I'm not a fan. As crazy as it sounds, I think "Weird Al" has a good case. Who else has been able to stay relevant for ~30 years and essentially make the music parody an art form? He's unique.

Not necessarily snubs, but every year brings new acts into the eligible list. I believe Nirvana, Phish, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Rage against the Machine, and Nine Inch Nails are all bands coming into consideration in the next 4 years or so. You could make a decent case for most all of them.
    "There can BE only one."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has always been the Hall of Fame for Pop Music That Isn't Country. It's been that way since the first class in 1986 - that's just how it is.

Electric Light Orchestra-Innovative, rock and roll roots and performances, some (a lot of?) pop in their later years and Jeff Lynne has written/produced/performed on bunches of stuff since the group disbanded in the early to mid 80s.

Yes-Don't think there should be much doubt with this one either.

Donna Sumner-really?

Public Enemy-really?

With the last two, we get into the discussion of where to draw the line between R&B/soul/funk and rock and roll and I'd agree if NWA is in, then you vote for Public Enemy, too.

We visited over Memorial Day this year and spent almost 5 hours there and could have easily spent several more watching concerts and reading about all the artists. Great way to spend 1/2 a day or more for about $20. Touring the Great Lakes Brewing Company a couple miles away for samples and dinner also made the trip to Cleveland an even more enjoyable one.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    ...what band or artist is the most glaring omission/who do you guys and gals think most deserves induction? I know it seems like just about everybody of any quality at all has gotten in... Who else do you think would merit induction, and why?
    I can't agree that "just about everybody of any quality at all has gotten in." Here are some who merit consideration, if not inclusion years ago.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
    Warren Zevon
    Joe Cocker
    Pat Benatar
    Dick Dale
    Los Lobos
    Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I can't agree that "just about everybody of any quality at all has gotten in." Here are some who merit consideration, if not inclusion years ago.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
    Warren Zevon
    Joe Cocker
    Pat Benatar
    Dick Dale
    Los Lobos
    Jimmy Buffett
    Warren Zevon, Warren Zevon, Warren Zevon.

Make it happen.