Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Star Trek Trailer

Into Darkness - is Benedict playing Khan? Thoughts?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ne...t-watch-86256/

Quote Originally Posted by chaosmage View Post
    Into Darkness - is Benedict playing Khan? Thoughts?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/ne...t-watch-86256/
    Nope, Gary Mitchell. I would put a large sum of money on it not being Khan and a smaller, but still decent sized sum on it being Gary Mitchell.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I had seen that...

But I didn't know who it was, being that I didn't watch the old ones. Excited either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Nope, Gary Mitchell. I would put a large sum of money on it not being Khan and a smaller, but still decent sized sum on it being Gary Mitchell.

-Jason
    It would also explain the blonde crewman from the trailer. At first I was thinking Nurse Chapel (probably not Yeoman Rand - no "weave" and not the right color uniform). But I think Dr. Elizabeth Dehner would also be a great explanation. She even has the same haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    It would also explain the blonde crewman from the trailer. At first I was thinking Nurse Chapel (probably not Yeoman Rand - no "weave" and not the right color uniform). But I think Dr. Elizabeth Dehner would also be a great explanation. She even has the same haircut.
    Geek alert!!!

So, while all of you were watching the American teaser released yesterday, I was watching the Japanese teaser. Why? Because it has an extra 10 seconds or so of footage. The extra footage comes right at the end, at the 1:00 mark in the video. It contains the voiceover "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" and it shows a man's hand pressed against the glass as smoke descends around him and then another man's hand presses up against the opposite side of the glass. There is no question at all that this is the identical pose that is so famous from Kirk and Spock's farewell at the end of Wrath of Khan.

JJ Abrams is well-known for teasing and playing with his audience, leaving false clues and trying to keep them guessing. The fact that the villain was not named in the teaser released yesterday is a clear signal that JJ is trying to build buzz for whoever it is. It has already been announced that the villain will be someone from the Star Trek canon, not a new character. So, the name/identity is a big deal.

So, knowing all that, do you think there is any way JJ would put that image into the teaser if he was trying to keep the Khan identity a secret? No chance!! That image is there precisely to make us think the villain is Khan. Its presence actually makes it less likely that Khan is the bad guy.

There is also an image from the trailer that appears to be Kirk speaking at a funeral. The very first images in the trailer are a large gathering of people seated in chairs and listening to Kirk speak. There is then a military flyover. Boy, sounds like a funeral to me!

Well, a funeral would play right into the current Gary Mitchell canon story (from the Star Trek comic books) which calls for Mitchell to die in action before getting his telekinetic powers. And think about the title, "Into Darkness." If Mitchell dies and then comes back from the dead with new powers, couldn't it be said that he went into the darkness of death and then returned?

Look, I know you can make just about anything fit a path of logic if you try hard enough. Look for a pattern in numbers and you will find one. Still, the more I see and read, the more I think that Mitchell is the bad guy here.

-Jason "there is also a moment in the trailer, at the :40 mark, where Kirk seems to be hand-to-hand fighting someone... perhaps this is from Kirk's climactic fight with Mitchell after Dr. Dehner is able to temporarily neutralize Mitchell's powers... though I would hate for the movie to follow that closely to the TV show plot" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Also geeky

I thought that the blonde would be Dr. Marcus and "Genesis" would be a project of Starfleet, or some new storyline, but since the character is in Starfleet, I may be wrong.

And yes, Abrams is WELL known for "fessing" with the heads of the audience.. Alias.. Lost.. the list goes on and on and on...

The question is how much is he messing with us? I'd love for it to be Khan, just to keep the "second movie is Khan" tradition, but whichever. Also, was Mitchell ever referenced beside the pilot episode, other than the IDW comics? Thanks!

imdb

The Internet Movie database lists the villain as "Kahn (rumored)"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

However, most of the Trek fan sites I've visited agree with Jason -- the character will be the one Gary Mitchell played in the original first episode Star Trek ... the Starfleet officer who obtains god-like powers.

I also see the suggestion that the teaser with Kirk and Spock matching hands will be a twist -- this time it's Kirk making the sacrifice and Spock on the outside in safety.

Did she have "hot lips?"

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I also see the suggestion that the teaser with Kirk and Spock matching hands will be a twist -- this time it's Kirk making the sacrifice and Spock on the outside in safety.
    I wonder if the hands are Kirk and Mitchell, from the scene early in the movie where Mitchell dies (totally my speculation).

Also, you can do a lot with Star Trek -- you can even kill Spock. But Captain Kirk DOES NOT DIE*!!!

...Unless he has gotten old and fat and really only suited for playing a misogynistic lawyer... and you are ready to pass the whole thing on to Capt. Picard (who, I think, would not even be born yet in the JJ Star Trek universe).

-Jason "I hope they don't try to re-create past movies and episodes... there are enough ideas out there to tell new stories -- even if you use familiar characters" Evans

i think chris pine is a genius casting for james kirk....it could be that i just loved the first one so much that i have blinders on...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

-Jason "I hope they don't try to re-create past movies and episodes... there are enough ideas out there to tell new stories -- even if you use familiar characters" Evans
    One of the good ideas of the last movie was to make a scenario where you can take the iconic characters and put them into an alternative universe so that the writers could make entirely new stories. It's all set in the same time and the same basic structure at the same time, but Nero altered the timeline, so that any new Star Trek story going forward can, and should, be entirely new (even if an old villain like Khan appears).

The IMDB write up, however, sure sounds like it's the super-powered Starfleet officer storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    The IMDB write up, however, sure sounds like it's the super-powered Starfleet officer storyline.
    Well, just because he has super-powers from meeting up with the galactic barrier (or whatever), it does not mean the resolution of the rest of his story will play out the same way. Heck, if he is declared dead and they have a funeral for him before realizing he is alive with powers, that would be a radical departure from the previous storyline.

-Jason "I am betting a lot of this will be made clear when the first 9 minutes of the movie are shown before Hobbit" Evans

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmage View Post
    I thought that the blonde would be Dr. Marcus and "Genesis" would be a project of Starfleet, or some new storyline, but since the character is in Starfleet, I may be wrong.

And yes, Abrams is WELL known for "fessing" with the heads of the audience.. Alias.. Lost.. the list goes on and on and on...

The question is how much is he messing with us? I'd love for it to be Khan, just to keep the "second movie is Khan" tradition, but whichever. Also, was Mitchell ever referenced beside the pilot episode, other than the IDW comics? Thanks!
    Benedict looks a lot more like Gary Lockwood than Ricardo Montalban, plus the unbridled destruction in the trailer seems more akin to telekinetic than mechanical power. I think Jason is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Benedict looks a lot more like Gary Lockwood than Ricardo Montalban, plus the unbridled destruction in the trailer seems more akin to telekinetic than mechanical power. I think Jason is correct.
    You're right. I mean we haven't seen one massive pectoral muscle in the trailers, let alone a stellar pair. It can't be Khan!

According to this report at star trek.com the character is John Harrison. That's based on the caption of an image released by Paramount. Truth or deception?

http://www.startrek.com/article/chec...darkness-image

According to this report at star trek.com the character is John Harrison. That's based on the caption of an image released by Paramount. Truth or deception?

http://www.startrek.com/article/chec...darkness-image
    Deception. The folks behind the film say the villain is a character from the Star Trek canon. There is no John Harrison in the canon. This is just a placeholder name that Paramount is putting out there until they reveal the character's real name. It is possible that the character will take an alias name for part of the movie and that alias may be John Harrison. But, in my learned opinion, the odds that the main villain's real name is John Harrison are close to zero.

-Jason "from what I hear, the 9 minute preview playing before Hobbit this weekend will not reveal who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing" Evans

I wonder if the hands are Kirk and Mitchell, from the scene early in the movie where Mitchell dies (totally my speculation).

I'm no expert, but it appears to me that the hand on the other side of the glass is in the Vulcan "live long and prosper" salute position, which would make me think that guy, at least, is Spock. Or at least Vulcan.

In the JJ Abrams universe there are two Spocks. He could kill Nimoy's Spock I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    In the JJ Abrams universe there are two Spocks. He could kill Nimoy's Spock I suppose
    That was not Leonard Nimoy's hand. Not nearly wrinkled enough. Also, I don't think Nimoy is appearing in this movie, though JJ could certainly have snuck him on set if he wanted.

-Jason "I wonder if JJ will try to sneak in a young Jean-Luc Picard or something like that" Evans

Pure speculation, but since there's no rumor-mongering penalties on movie threads...

1) the hands are Kirk's and Spock's (and not old Spock, either)
    2) Kirk is the one in the position to sacrifice himself
    3) Kirk will not die.

My rationale: As long as we've got a potential Khan link in the 2nd film, we might as well have a re-do of the classic Kirk/Spock death scene. The promos do mention Kirk being forced to sacrifice for the "only family he has left" or something to that effect. So that gives me the hint that it's probably Kirk in the life-endangering position. Also, carrying over from the first movie, Spock challenged Kirk during Kirk's trial at Starfleet that the captain must be willing to face death to save his crew, like Kirk's father did. I can see Kirk making that leap in this film, where he is willing to sacrifice his life to save his crew, and actually putting himself in the position to make that sacrifice.

But Kirk's not going to die.

Jason's right...you can't kill Kirk and expect to successfully continue the series. Especially not given how popular Pine is in that role. Furthermore, part of Kirk's character is his ability to see the angles, to escape, to "cheat death". I'm not sure if Kirk will get saved from certain death by his crew, or if he will figure out a way to escape death while still saving his crew, but I'd bet alot that Kirk will live to see the third movie.