Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fleetwod Mac

Fleetwod Mac

Fleetwood Mac is full of sh-t.

They sing, "Thunder only happens when it's raining."

That's just not true.

-EarlJam

I have a theory: I bet I could drive from Miami to Seattle, armed with only standard radio, and by flipping stations the whole way, listen to only Fleetwood Mac (what's worse, the playlist would consist of maybe five songs). I think it's a secret federal statute that at all times in all radio markets, Fleetwood Mac must be playing on at least one station.

I HATE Fleetwood Muck.

and one other thing...

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Fleetwood Mac is full of sh-t.

-EarlJam
    That John Denver's full of sh-t too, man.

Did you know that Mick Fleetwood was married to the sister of Pattie Boyd, George Harrison's (and later Eric Clapton's) wife, and the subject of the song Layla?

Quote Originally Posted by g_olaf View Post
    Did you know that Mick Fleetwood was married to the sister of Pattie Boyd, George Harrison's (and later Eric Clapton's) wife, and the subject of the song Layla?
    Believe it or not, I did know that. That lovely song, however, does nothing to change the fact that Fleetwood Muck sucks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Believe it or not, I did know that. That lovely song, however, does nothing to change the fact that Fleetwood Muck sucks.
    This would make for a good signature line.

I have a theory: I bet I could drive from Miami to Seattle, armed with only standard radio, and by flipping stations the whole way, listen to only Fleetwood Mac (what's worse, the playlist would consist of maybe five songs). I think it's a secret federal statute that at all times in all radio markets, Fleetwood Mac must be playing on at least one station.

I HATE Fleetwood Muck.
    AGREED!

Also, one to ponder:

In a song by Rod Stewart, he sings, "IF you want my body, AND you think I'm sexy, come on baby let me know."

This sets up a classic IF/THEN equation. Let's break it down.

Here, Rod Stewart poses two specific "conditions" that he is presenting to a girl (assuming a girl), with both conditions preceded by the word, "IF."

1. Do you want my body?
    2. Do you think I'm sexy?

Simple enough. And one can generally conclude that Mr. Stewart desires positive responses from the girl for each proposed questions. So what is the, "THEN?"

Stewart is asking these questions as a pre-requisite to determine whether or not he wishes to be informed of her intent and opinions regarding his physical prowess and aphrodisiatic qualities. He makes it quite clear that if she is not desirous of him, then he would rather just not know at all.

The key lyric and the catalyst for controversy/discussion here is the word "AND."

Taken literally, it appears to me, EarlJam, that Mr. Stewart is communicating that BOTH conditions (1. Want of Body & 2. Sex Appeal) must be met in the positive for Rodney to want her thoughts/desires to be made known to him.

It seems to me, however, that if the girl in question is in "want" of Stewart's body then that would render the latter half of the equation, "sex appeal" somewhat moot. No?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I believe the lyrics, as good as they are, would have been more "true" or accurate had Stewart penned:

"If you want my body OR you think I'm sexy."

It just bothers me when songwriters are so careless with their lyrics. There's a ton of examples out there. This one is in kind of a grey area though, hence is better for discussion. Some, like the Fleetwood Mac lyrics posted above are just blatantly wrong.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    This would make for a good signature line.
    Done. And now, my response has more than 10 characters.

Talking

You're welcome.

It seems to me, however, that if the girl in question is in "want" of Stewart's body then that would render the latter half of the equation, "sex appeal" somewhat moot. No?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I believe the lyrics, as good as they are, would have been more "true" or accurate had Stewart penned:

"If you want my body OR you think I'm sexy."

-EarlJam
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. As for me, if you want my body, I don't care whether or not you think I'm sexy. A "yes" answer to question A, regardless of the answer to question B, will elicit a response from me somewhere along the lines of, "OK then, right this way..."

This is, of course, provided that I in turn want her body, which (as I suspect is the case with most people) is indeed contingent upon my answer to question B. That is to say, if I want your body, then it probably means I think you're sexy. Similarly, If I think you're sexy, then I probably want your body. Thus, the two questions (for me at least) are largely redundant and repetitive.

This is, of course, provided that I in turn want her body, which (as I suspect is the case with most people) is indeed contingent upon my answer to question B.
    Wilson,

You bring up an excellent point and provide an angle, or a twist, if you will to a popular assumption regarding this song. Most of those in the baby boomer generation (but not limiting it to that) were/are of the mindset that Mr. Rodney Stewart was desirous of the girl in question. Perhaps he was not. Perhaps he was not at all.

The argument could be made (and this is only one of multiple hypotheticals) that Stewart was faithfully married and was about to embark upon a business trip with said girl accompanying him as an assistant. Perhaps he was concerned that, if tested, he may not be strong enough to resist, thus would engage in certain relations that he knew would be detrimental to both his marriage as well as his conscience.

Armed with this insight and knowledge, he very well could have been asking the girl about her thoughts and intentions regarding him as purely a preventative measure to avoid a multitude of troubles in the near future.

To immediately assume that Rod was simply lusting for the girl is actually quite sexist, and insulting. Not saying that he wasn't, mind you, but it is possible - and you brought that angle to light. It merits further discussion. Thanks.

-EarlJam

Wilson,

You bring up an excellent point and provide an angle, or a twist, if you will to a popular assumption regarding this song. Most of those in the baby boomer generation (but not limiting it to that) were/are of the mindset that Mr. Rodney Stewart was desirous of the girl in question. Perhaps he was not. Perhaps he was not at all.

The argument could be made (and this is only one of multiple hypotheticals) that Stewart was faithfully married and was about to embark upon a business trip with said girl accompanying him as an assistant. Perhaps he was concerned that, if tested, he may not be strong enough to resist, thus would engage in certain relations that he knew would be detrimental to both his marriage as well as his conscience.

Armed with this insight and knowledge, he very well could have been asking the girl about her thoughts and intentions regarding him as purely a preventative measure to avoid a multitude of troubles in the near future.

To immediately assume that Rod was simply lusting for the girl is actually quite sexist, and insulting. Not saying that he wasn't, mind you, but it is possible - and you brought that angle to light. It merits further discussion. Thanks.

-EarlJam
    Quick note: While the above is true, it still doesn't change the fact that a more accurate choice of lyrics would include the conjunction, "OR" instead of "AND." (my opinion, of course)

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As for me, if you want my body, I don't care whether or not you think I'm sexy. A "yes" answer to question A, regardless of the answer to question B, will elicit a response from me somewhere along the lines of, "OK then, right this way..."
    I disagree... for example, what if you wanted my body for medical research? For example, to isolate the tiny gut elves that make you puke.

Anyway, Fleetwood Mac rocks.

That is to say, if I want your body, then it probably means I think you're sexy. Similarly, If I think you're sexy, then I probably want your body. Thus, the two questions (for me at least) are largely redundant and repetitive.
    There are women that I think are sexy...but do not want their bodies in a sexual sense (not that there is anything wrong with that ) in this case the questions are not redundant...there are some women who I do not really think of as sexy but I want their bodies in the 'gee I wish I looked like that' sense. Again, not redundant.

I can think of several men who are definitely sexy...but I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...and in Rod Stewarts case I do not think he is sexy and I do NOT want his body...nor do I ever care to hear him sing anything ever again!

Mr Speaker...

Would my honorable friends agree with me that "Disco" Rod sucks equally as much as Fleetwood Mac?

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by g_olaf View Post

Anyway, Fleetwood Mac rocks.
    I'm with you on that one.

Don't explain the 70's

EarlJam,
    Mid-late 70's pop music lyrics made no sense. Don't seek logic when explaining:
    Fleetwood Mac, Wild Cherry, KC & the Sunshine Band, Orleans, Rod Stewart, Gary Wright, and all those other folks who appear with Barry Williams on the greatest hits of the 70's album from Time/Life (NOTE: they may now be appearing on PBS fundraisers).

If you have a beef with 70's rock lyrics, start with YES, especially their SIBERIAN KHATRU. WHAT'S A KHATRU?!?!?!?!?!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    There are women that I think are sexy...but do not want their bodies in a sexual sense (not that there is anything wrong with that ) in this case the questions are not redundant...there are some women who I do not really think of as sexy but I want their bodies in the 'gee I wish I looked like that' sense. Again, not redundant.

I can think of several men who are definitely sexy...but I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...and in Rod Stewarts case I do not think he is sexy and I do NOT want his body...nor do I ever care to hear him sing anything ever again!
    Yeah, perhaps I'll be more capable of nuanced thinking with added age. For now, however, my previously stated (and admittedly chauvinistic/shortsighted/whatever) reasoning remains. On the other hand, I do know a few women whom I find sexy, but who are also bonkers. Those bodies, I do not want.

i dont know what you guys are talkingn about, fleetwood mac totally owns.
    you just need to stop thinking about the as a rock band and more of a pop band. rumours sucks as a rock album, clearly, but its really really quite good.

also i think the logic flaw highlighted above is irrelevant; stewart doesnt care if you want his body without thinking hes sexy as well - that implies that you just want any body. similarly if you found him sexy without wanting his body (in the way a woman might find a 1970's woody allen sexy) stewart would also be uninterested.

nevertheless, we've all put much more thought into this song that stewart ever did, one of the reasons why thats also an awesome song.

Yeah, perhaps I'll be more capable of nuanced thinking with added age. For now, however, my previously stated (and admittedly chauvinistic/shortsighted/whatever) reasoning remains. On the other hand, I do know a few women whom I find sexy, but who are also bonkers. Those bodies, I do not want.
    We've kicked and stirred around enough hypothetical situations to show that one of the scenarios is possible without the other. I no longer think that is debatable. The question is not what you or I want, rather, what did ROD want? Do you think he misspoke or do you think he was pondering it to the level that we are here today? I think the dude just misspoke.

-EarlJam