Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I vote '95 Capel 3 vs UNC to force 2OT

As a Crazie from '93-'01 who attended basically all home games not over winter break, I can definitively say the loudest I ever experienced Cameron had to be after the 1995 Capel 3-pointer to go into double OT against Carolina. I was initially sitting on the non-TV side corner near the band, and in the ensuing ruckus reminiscent of a mosh pit on bleachers, I landed near mid-court right in front. That was the loudest "burst of noise" moment during my tenure, and nothing else really even comes close. Total Mayhem for several MINUTES. I think it was the duration of pure pandemonium that sets that moment apart from many cherished others.

We probably need to divide this into two categories.

Duke v. Carolina.

Duke v, rest-of-the-known-universe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    We probably need to divide this into two categories.

Duke v. Carolina.

Duke v, rest-of-the-known-universe.
    In my 3 and a half years the Carolina category definitely goes to Kelly's 3 in 2011 to take the lead. Never been anywhere that loud in my life.

As for non-UNC, its close between OSU this year and the comeback against State last year, but probably have to go with state being louder.

But OSU probably comes in number 3, behind those 2, for the best games that I have been to as an undergrad (all home games in the last 3+ years). I wish that it could be like that all of the time, or even more of the time. There's a good group of us that work hard to make it as loud as we can at every game, but its tough to get the students to come out like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    The loudest moment for me was the 2011 UNC game when Kelly hit the 3 to take the lead. I literally almost passed out. I was screaming but it was so loud I could not hear my own scream. I got very light headed and almost went down for the count. From that moment on I could not holler or attempt to. Each time I tried the light headed-ness started right back, so I just raised my arms with every bucket by Nolan and Seth who just combined to torch the heels. Best game ever for me personally.

I was sick and missed the OSU game last week so not sure how it compares to the 2011 UNC game. Sounded very loud on TV though.
    Couple people I know who were at both say UNC was louder. I was only at the UNC game but wish so much i could have been there last wednesday
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Darden was never the star. He and Russell were classmates. Bill Buntin was one year ahead of them. Russell and Darden were juniors that year, Buntin a senior.

The game was played December 5, 1964. Russell led Michigan with 21 points. Buntin and Darden had 17 points, Buntin 14 rebounds.

Steve Vacendak led Duke with 23 points.

As I mentioned earlier, this team advanced to the 1965 NCAA title game, where they lost to UCLA.

Russell was a consensus first-team All-America that year and one of the best players of the decade. Not easy to forget.
    Never doubt Jim Sumner. I was even off on the UCLA games, as we beat them by 16 and 19---------and, that was the next year. Sheesh! I am just sooooooooooooooo old.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    Exactly, if anything in the recent years crazies have pulled the special element OUT of that cheer, once used in the most intense, closely fought situations, and turned it into their own version of 'drive home safely!' Something that has disappointed me a bit.
    If only you were a current student your disappointment might resonate. Times change, cheers change, no use crying into your beer.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHLM'13 View Post
    In my 3 and a half years the Carolina category definitely goes to Kelly's 3 in 2011 to take the lead. Never been anywhere that loud in my life.
    I was at that game and I thought Nolan's 3-point play was louder (but Kelly's 3 was obviously very loud too) -- Nolan expressed the same sentiment in a dukeblueplanet video (play #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiE7RW_hyeU). That was the first and only time in my life I thought I could actually see sound.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    I was at that game and I thought Nolan's 3-point play was louder (but Kelly's 3 was obviously very loud too) -- Nolan expressed the same sentiment in a dukeblueplanet video (play #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiE7RW_hyeU). That was the first and only time in my life I thought I could actually see sound.
    Ditto, the play I remember from that game was Nolan's breakaway, mainly because I totally lost my mind after he slammed it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Ditto, the play I remember from that game was Nolan's breakaway, mainly because I totally lost my mind after he slammed it home.
    And Josh Hairston's reaction...timeless. My friends and I still recreate that moment when we watch exciting plays during Duke Basketball games.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    In the non-UNC category I have to put in my vote for the NC-State comeback. I was actually covering that game for the Chronicle, so I was sitting center court on press row (ie, about as close to being on the court as you possibly could be). At one point I turned to my colleague next to me to make a comment and found that I couldn't hear the words coming out of my mouth, let alone communicate with a person who was sitting 6 inches away from me. So I'm fairly certain that NC State may have been having communication problems as well

Another game to consider: Maryland in 2009, when we were at one point up 40. It was like the Harlem Globetrotters out there, and the Crazies certainly enjoyed it.

As far as the UNC category, I think people are forgetting the 2010 blowout. Miles' alley-oop in garbage time, despite us already being up 30, felt like an explosion going off.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

"Cameron was louder when my era's teams played Carolina than ever before or after."

Sincerely,
    Everyone

PS - GT 2002 -- K gets live

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHLM'13 View Post
    After you guys talked about Ryan's 3 in 2011 against unc, I had to go back and re-watch the game (on theacc.com). I ended up watching the entire game. Amazing stuff... Thank you Duke, and, GO DUKE!!!

Just got my Dec 10th copy of Sports Illustrated, with King James on the cover, in the mail today. About ten pages in is a full 2-page photo of OSU Forward Sam Thompson bringing the ball in along the "student" sideline. As usual, the whole Duke student section is reaching out and taunting him. Great photo! (And great job Crazies!!!)

P.S. Those of you who get SI, take a look at page 89 as well. A nice, 1-page article on another well-known Duke personality and his charitable work with nutrition for kids, especially in US inner-city "food deserts." Probably my all-time favorite Dukie, Grant Hill.

Historical observation

At the risk of sounding argumentative (which I'm not), or old (which I am)....

While I understand most of the comments made here, it is somewhat unfair to compare the most recent seasons (let's say perhaps since Coach K's first NCAA title?) to what came before.

Most people would say certain players within the Krzyzewski stable were the absolute best...but never saw Verga or Gminski or Mullins or Spanarkel or Banks or Heyman or Ferry or even Laettner and G Hill play. Yes, the game has changed (from freshmen could not play to the arrival of the "Smith Memorial" shot clock). David Thompson was not allowed to dunk the basketball, and Bob Verga would likely have broken all kinds of scoring records if he had the luxury of a 3-point shot.

Cameron still has its moments, and the ones cited here are valid. But there were some equally noteworthy moments in years gone by. I still stand by the Fred Lind game as the most awesome. When I WAS on the bleachers I remember at times when you could actually FEEL the sound waves. And for the really old crusties, look up at the ceiling. During the Bubas years they had suspended sound insulation panels hanging down over the arena. (I think those went to a nearby college??)

The observations on the noise levels are not unlike the comments in an off-topic thread regarding classic movie lines. Many of the "originals" have never been heard by anyone under the age of thirty, and conversely many of those now garnering votes are totally known to those oft-mentioned "crusties."

OK, I've said my peace and hopefully offended no one. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective here. Others who attended basketball games in CIS "before it became Cameron" are welcome to chime in.

k

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    At the risk of sounding argumentative (which I'm not), or old (which I am)....

While I understand most of the comments made here, it is somewhat unfair to compare the most recent seasons (let's say perhaps since Coach K's first NCAA title?) to what came before.

Most people would say certain players within the Krzyzewski stable were the absolute best...but never saw Verga or Gminski or Mullins or Spanarkel or Banks or Heyman or Ferry or even Laettner and G Hill play. Yes, the game has changed (from freshmen could not play to the arrival of the "Smith Memorial" shot clock). David Thompson was not allowed to dunk the basketball, and Bob Verga would likely have broken all kinds of scoring records if he had the luxury of a 3-point shot.

Cameron still has its moments, and the ones cited here are valid. But there were some equally noteworthy moments in years gone by. I still stand by the Fred Lind game as the most awesome. When I WAS on the bleachers I remember at times when you could actually FEEL the sound waves. And for the really old crusties, look up at the ceiling. During the Bubas years they had suspended sound insulation panels hanging down over the arena. (I think those went to a nearby college??)

The observations on the noise levels are not unlike the comments in an off-topic thread regarding classic movie lines. Many of the "originals" have never been heard by anyone under the age of thirty, and conversely many of those now garnering votes are totally known to those oft-mentioned "crusties."

OK, I've said my peace and hopefully offended no one. Just wanted to add a bit of perspective here. Others who attended basketball games in CIS "before it became Cameron" are welcome to chime in.

k
    "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" because some of us old "crusties" who were there at the Freddy Lind game, were also lucky enough to be there for the more recent come-from-behind NC State game and the 2011 UNC game and the 2010 FF (which was, in my opinion, even louder than many of the others-----but that game, obviously, wasn't even in Cameron).

"Here's looking at you, kid(s)" who missed out on so many great moments in the Indoor Stadium because you weren't even on this Earth yet. And, yes, I also believe that Verga would have had all kinds of scoring records with the extra year and the 3-point shot. But then, hasn't it been wonderful to have experienced so many of these magical events? And, aren't we fortunate to have the opportunity to experience even more in the future?

So, here's a salute to all the DBR members, both smoothe and "crustie". May we be able to celebrate many, many more great Duke basketball moments together!

ricks68

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" because some of us old "crusties" who were there at the Freddy Lind game, were also lucky enough to be there for the more recent come-from-behind NC State game and the 2011 UNC game and the 2010 FF (which was, in my opinion, even louder than many of the others-----but that game, obviously, wasn't even in Cameron).

"Here's looking at you, kid(s)" who missed out on so many great moments in the Indoor Stadium because you weren't even on this Earth yet. And, yes, I also believe that Verga would have had all kinds of scoring records with the extra year and the 3-point shot. But then, hasn't it been wonderful to have experienced so many of these magical events? And, aren't we fortunate to have the opportunity to experience even more in the future?

So, here's a salute to all the DBR members, both smoothe and "crustie". May we be able to celebrate many, many more great Duke basketball moments together!

ricks68
    Very well put. Hoping that I can get one or two more really great ones in before I graduate.

old farts

I admit that I fall into the category of old farts.

But I still insist that Cameron used to be louder at its loudest than it is even at its best these days -- and, again, I argue that it's because the great bulk of the seating on the scorer's table side no longer belongs to the undergrads, but is allotted to guests of the school and the program. Now those are usually fans, but they are older and not as loud as the students used to be,

Next big game, take a look at the students behind press row and imagine the same kind of hysteria on the other side. You'll see the difference.

Cameron DID used to be louder and more boisterous.

And while that comes from an old fogey, I don't think it's an old fogeyism.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I admit that I fall into the category of old farts.

But I still insist that Cameron used to be louder at its loudest than it is even at its best these days -- and, again, I argue that it's because the great bulk of the seating on the scorer's table side no longer belongs to the undergrads, but is allotted to guests of the school and the program. Now those are usually fans, but they are older and not as loud as the students used to be,

Next big game, take a look at the students behind press row and imagine the same kind of hysteria on the other side. You'll see the difference.

Cameron DID used to be louder and more boisterous.

And while that comes from an old fogey, I don't think it's an old fogeyism.
    I think you're right, overall.

I do think the crowd - on rare, special occasions - can still crank it up. But in general, it's much harder for Cameron to sustain a full-bore roar.

Alas, we can't seem to get 3,000(?) students to show anymore.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think you're right, overall.

I do think the crowd - on rare, special occasions - can still crank it up. But in general, it's much harder for Cameron to sustain a full-bore roar.

Alas, we can't seem to get 3,000(?) students to show anymore.

-jk
    1600 max.

only having stands on half the court certainly puts current crop of kids at a disadvantage. Given, they haven't filled the stands recently. That will change, I think, with the additions to the ACC...big games week in and week out is something we haven't had for some time, in my opinion. People cite rivalries...but rivalries of years gone by, like with virginia, don't mean much to today's kids...the big 4...games against Wake don't mean much (unless wake is good)

students come for good games...and good games are coming soon for the students!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    1600 max.

only having stands on half the court certainly puts current crop of kids at a disadvantage. Given, they haven't filled the stands recently. That will change, I think, with the additions to the ACC...big games week in and week out is something we haven't had for some time, in my opinion. People cite rivalries...but rivalries of years gone by, like with virginia, don't mean much to today's kids...the big 4...games against Wake don't mean much (unless wake is good)

students come for good games...and good games are coming soon for the students!
    Interesting... this might be the first comment I've read that is actually a positive for basketball with ACC expansion...