Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Personally I didn't mind 'Our House' being chanted early. I think it is a good cheer that the team feeds off of. I think it can help keep the players intensity level up when we need a strong finish to close out a game. I liked it both times it was chanted.
    I think, however, vaguely remembering that chant at a former ACC member's venue when they had a seemingly insurmountable 10 point lead with just under a minute to play. Hmmmmmmmm......

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by tjf513 View Post
    I really dislike this one and also feel it is being used way too much.
    Count me in on this one too. Once a game is enough. And it should be used (as I actually think it was at one point last night), where a player commits a turnover or foul and gets sent to the bench as a result. I think that happened to Aaron Craft once last night, but the Crazies didn't pick up on it until after the ball was back in play, and our guys had the ball. That's not the right time for the chant. When our guys have the ball, we need to be cheering for our guys.

But, I don't want to that to take away from what a great job the fans did in the second half of last night. I even saw some shots of the upper deck out of their seats and being loud. The Crazies sure are important, but Cameron goes to the next level with the upper deck REALLY gets into it. Nice job, guys.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I think, however, vaguely remembering that chant at a former ACC member's venue when they had a seemingly insurmountable 10 point lead with just under a minute to play. Hmmmmmmmm......

ricks
    I thought that was "overrated."

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    I agree. The "Our House" chant did not start out as an end-of-game-get-out-of-here-we-dominated-you-now-you-go-home chant. It started in the middle of a game against Ga Tech (iirc). We were getting totally hosed by the refs in our own gym, and the whole stadium started chanting, "Our House!! Our House!!" We were even screaming upstairs. It was almost as loud as a unc game. The players responded and definitely fed off of it. I wish we would use the "Our House!!" cheer when the team needs a lift in the middle of the game. Nowadays it's just used for self-amusement, when the game is already decided.
    May not be where it started (Georgia Tech, 2002), but it was definitely where it took off as a pick-me-up chant, not a "thanks for coming to get ran" chant.

ricks
    Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    They did scream "overrated."
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Honestly, though, what I think we did a great job of last night was simple, ear-splitting noise. Focusing less on the chants and more on pure volume helps, IMO. It was one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of in Cameron, and I've been going to home games for twenty years.

Question: for those of you who were there, how did the singing of the national anthem sound? I've always thought it'd be neat for the Crazies to sing (respectfully, of course) the national anthem in Cameron. Thoughts?
    I thought the singing of the anthem was really great. Unique, too. The fact that it happened just speaks to the level of energy that was in that building last night.

For those who say it wasn't loud in the first half, after the first few buckets ('til about the 17:00 mark) it was as loud as I've ever heard it. After that we started to get out rebounded, Kelly picked up his second foul and we had a few deflating turnovers. Just like when you're playing, it's hard to stay amped up when those things are happening. There was definitely a surge in noise at the end of the half, and in the second half everybody went NUTS.

The "together" thing is tough. I, for one, thought it was only for that night at Countdown to Craziness. Either way, it's hard because the band plays right up to the very last second and we're usually doing the fight song or 'everytime we touch' right up to the horn.

Our House

December 4, 1999:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/bank-it

"Chants of "Our House" rained down from the rafters as the lead changed hands seven times in the last 12 minutes."

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncb/2000/9...ap/daldau.html

"The Cameron Crazies might have willed Duke's young team to victory. Behind the chants of "Our House!" Duke took its first lead at 61-60 on James' free throw with 6:58 left."

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Columnists...1204DePaul.htm

"Cameron Craziness: The crowd was as loud today at times as I've ever heard them. And I'm talking everyone: students and season ticket holders, who were standing for the end of the game and much of OT. Not much in the way of cheers other than old standards like "Nate's a badass", "Who's your daddy? Battier!", "Nice pass", etc. But there was one significant addition as Duke was rallying in the second half: "Our house!" It was both a bold assertion towards DePaul and an exhortation to the Duke players."

I think the cheer, "you let the whooooooole team down," is a cheap shot. It's so Terrapin like, not worthy of Cameron. How about we make it, "Have a seat, and think about it," or something like that? That's assuming the cheer is directed at the visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    May not be where it started (Georgia Tech, 2002), but it was definitely where it took off as a pick-me-up chant, not a "thanks for coming to get ran" chant.
    Pretty sure "Our House" originated against DePaul in Dec 99. The game where a late, fortuitous banked-in-three from Nick Horvath helped us to victory. Throaty has a long history with this chant and this particular game (and with summer pickup legend Nick Horvath for that matter). I am sure he can add more detail when he gets a chance.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 11-29-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: BlueDevil2K provided plenty of detail above
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Pretty sure "Our House" originated against DePaul in Dec 99. The game where a late, fortuitous banked-in-three from Nick Horvath helped us to victory. Throaty has a long history with this chant and this particular game (and with summer pickup legend Nick Horvath for that matter). I am sure he can add more detail when he gets a chance.
    I was referencing an earlier poster who mentioned the Georgia Tech game of 2002. I wasn't saying that's where it started, but I mentioned that's when it really joined the set of cheers we pulled out in pick-me-up situations on a regular basis.

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that one out. One of the finest Duke memories of all time, during a season full of unbelievable memories.

ricks

I was referencing an earlier poster who mentioned the Georgia Tech game of 2002. I wasn't saying that's where it started, but I mentioned that's when it really joined the set of cheers we pulled out in pick-me-up situations on a regular basis.
    I realize that. Never said that you thought it started against GT in 2002. Just provided info stating where I thought it began.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I'm surprised at all of the disdain towards "You let the whole team down". It's one of my favorites... it's just such a matter-of-fact, "I'm not angry just disappointed in you", cheer... it makes me laugh every time.
    Trinity '09

I will confirm that is when the chant started. It was not used in the 98-99 season. The DePaul game was rocking. I had never heard the chant before that day.

I realize that. Never said that you thought it started against GT in 2002. Just provided info stating where I thought it began.
    Off topic: That game (January 10, 2002) is far and away the loudest I've ever heard Cameron and will forever be my favorite game I see there. I still get chills remembering that game!

2003-2004 HLM

ricks
    IIIRC, it was this sequence:

terp fans: o-ver-ra-ted, o-ver-ra-ted
    Jason Williams: I HATE that chant/cheer

You know the outcome.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Off topic: That game (January 10, 2002) is far and away the loudest I've ever heard Cameron and will forever be my favorite game I see there. I still get chills remembering that game!
    You should have been there for the Freddy Lind game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    I'm surprised at all of the disdain towards "You let the whole team down". It's one of my favorites... it's just such a matter-of-fact, "I'm not angry just disappointed in you", cheer... it makes me laugh every time.
    Just who is the target of your laughable cheer? The visitors, or our guys? If it is our guys then only Coach has the right to tell them that. If it's the visitors, I'm not at all disappointed in their bad play. It's not up to the long established standards of the Crazies.

1. It was loud. I was proud of you guys.
    2. The National Anthem was wonderful. I got chills and it also prevents the idiocy of the "O".
    3. "You let the whole team down" is exactly the clever jibe that we want to see out of the Crazies. Whoever said it sounds like a Maryland cheer is forgetting 2 things... it does not include the F-word, and it is actually funny and not vulgar.
    4. The "together" cheer would be great. And frankly, you've got time to work on it. Just get your group to do it during Delaware. Do it at the start of the game, but then each time the team breaks the huddle. Especially to start the second half when there is no noise. Tell fake Viking what you're doing, and tell the grads on the other end. That's how it starts. People will pick up on it.
    5. I know that this is tough to pick up and start, but the one thing you missed last night was the fist. We needed some stops in the first and second halves coming out of TOs. Everyone, fists up coming out of the TO. No noise at all. And then bust loose once the ball is in-bounded.

All in all a fabulous effort.
    WWJDD?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    1. It was loud. I was proud of you guys.
    2. The National Anthem was wonderful. I got chills and it also prevents the idiocy of the "O".
    3. "You let the whole team down" is exactly the clever jibe that we want to see out of the Crazies. Whoever said it sounds like a Maryland cheer is forgetting 2 things... it does not include the F-word, and it is actually funny and not vulgar.
    4. The "together" cheer would be great. And frankly, you've got time to work on it. Just get your group to do it during Delaware. Do it at the start of the game, but then each time the team breaks the huddle. Especially to start the second half when there is no noise. Tell fake Viking what you're doing, and tell the grads on the other end. That's how it starts. People will pick up on it.
    5. I know that this is tough to pick up and start, but the one thing you missed last night was the fist. We needed some stops in the first and second halves coming out of TOs. Everyone, fists up coming out of the TO. No noise at all. And then bust loose once the ball is in-bounded.

All in all a fabulous effort.
    Native, take this and run with it!

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    If it's the visitors, I'm not at all disappointed in their bad play. It's not up to the long established standards of the Crazies.
    Why not do it? If it's not vulgar, gets under the other team's skin, and is just one of another billion reminders to them that they're in a hostile environment, why not do it? People (myself included) have been clamoring for the Crazies to regain some of their edge for years. Is it the greatest chant ever? No. Is it being over-used right now? Maybe, yeah. Should we let it carry over into our offensive possessions? Never. But that doesn't negate the fact that it's a solid cheer for our arsenal that could use some refinement and attention to timing.

Native, take this and run with it!
    Sure, that's actually a great idea. Since K's request was so specific at Countdown (i.e. the huddle just before tip) I hadn't considered the method of using it after every TO until it catches on. You guys have graduated yet you're still taking me to school. Thanks.