The Golden Globes

Love the show last night. Truly. I though the two hostesses were fantastic (please keep SNL alums doing this, and the Oscars, for a long, long time).

A few things:

1) The awards for Argo just go to show what a slight it was that Affleck did not get an Oscar nomination for Best Director. He did a sensational job with that movie. Period.

2) You would think that Argo and Les Mis are now the favorites for Best Picture at the Oscars....though Lincoln could certainly come through with the older voters.

3) I might be in the minority here, but I thought Jodie Foster's speech was just plain wierd (though not nearly as wierd as the nomination speech given by Downey Jr - what in the hell was that?). She didn't really say anything, and seemed to be pretty full of herself, at least to me. I will admit, part of my dislike for her is that she's been so publicaly loyal to Mel Gibson, who is a bigoted, abusive alcoholic. I mean I understand standing by your friends...but you should also push them to change. I think Downey calling her an incredible director was a stretch, to say the least.

4) Was it just me, or was Quentin completely hammered during his acceptance speech?

5) Liked seeing Girls win. Dunham acted like I probably would if it were me giving a speech - just awe struck.

6) Anne Hathaway looks dangerously thin. I know she lost a lot of weight for her Les Mis role, but she looks past borderline anorexic. Hopefully that changes. I thought her shout out to Sally Fields as a person who showed how an actor can develop over their career was one of the most powerful moments of the night.

7) Guess I gotta watch Homeland now.

Agreed on the Foster bit... strange intro, even stranger speech, although the end was touching. I WAS a bit shocked that it seemed she was about to come out at the Golden Globes, but I guess that was what she wanted.

Thought the best lines of the night were Jen L. thanking Harvey for whoever he had to kill (a bit too close to the truth!) and Cohen's line about four months of voice lessons for Russell Crowe being "money well spent." Good stuff.

And was it me, or were Tina and Amy underused? Oh, and has Amy been a bit more... well, liberal with the cleavage since her divorce?

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    7) Guess I gotta watch Homeland now.
    Watch Season 1. Season 2 wasn't nearly as good, IMHO. Season 1 was exciting, entertaining, plausible, and like nothing else on TV. I won't ruin it for you, but I think the show jumped the shark in Season 2. My guess is that it will be off the air by season 5.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Agreed on Argo and Homeland. I loved Argo, and need to get Homeland on Blu Ray. I guess along with 0 Dark Thirty, 2012 was the year of the CIA in Hollywood...