Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    www.firstrowsports.eu typically has stuff.

Tomorrow's DBR Thread Headlines

Murphy Plays 3 Minutes

Duke Beats Ohio State

I thought VCU brought some good pressure, but Mason and our bigs helped out a lot with the press. I believe Cook will be ok with the ball, but I do expect to see some hard ball screens, pick and rolls, etc...

Nice, RoyWhite..how about

DBR Board Headline:
    "Murphy DNP - Coaches Decision - Seen Having Uncomfortably Long Conversation with Ohio State Assistant Greg Paulus"

Subhead:
    "Murphy Seen Carrying Bag of Clothing from Apartment - Just Laundry or Suitcase?"

Post Script:
    Duke Extends Non Conference Win Streak to 97

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    For a fairly extensive preview of tonight's game, see this piece, on Watzone's site, written by, well . . . me! Hope you enjoy it and find it informative.
    Thank you this was a nice write up analyzes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    Thanks for the preview; nice work. The similarities to last year are indeed pretty uncanny. I will say, though, that most people seem to think of the OSU game last year as the first indication of a flawed team that couldn't hang with the big boys. That may be somewhat true, but what is often overlooked is that OSU also played what I assume was one of their best games of the season. They absolutely could not miss in that game. Obviously we weren't winning that game either way, but I think we might not have gotten so defeated and kept it more competitive if the Buckeyes had missed a few shots.

Anyway, the big difference from last year's team is the presence of Cook, which will hopefully allow us to deal with OSU's pressure a bit better, the improvement of Plumlee as a go-to scorer, and what initially appears to be an improved team defense, which hopefully will be enough to avoid a repeat from last year.

My prediction is that we'll be feeling a bit less rosy about our offense tomorrow after facing a tough OSU defensive team. However, it does sound like they have some talented pieces, just not enough cohesiveness and experience to really put it all together on the offensive end. At the end of the day, Jared Sullinger ain't coming through that door, and I don't get the sense they have the horses on offense to score with us. We shall see.

I know OSU usually has stellar defensive teams, and Craft is an awesome defender, but l'm not sold on this year's team being great on that end. Just from looking at their games so far, they gave up about a point per possession to Rhode Island (KenPom#236) and over a point per possession to Washington (#83). Their good defensive rating (#13) might be partially due to preseason rank and their rout of lowly UMKC (#313), which they held to 45 points. So far this year, the defense has just been ok efficiency wise. I know efficiency stats mean little at this time of year, but this is evidence they might not be locking teams up quite as well as last year, for ex.

I'm confident Duke will be able to score, but am anxious to see if the defense can hold up against a good offensive team. It looked good in the Bahamas, so I'm optimistic. I'm trying not to be too confident, but if Cook can hold his own against Craft and Mason stay out of foul trouble, I see Duke winning, perhaps comfortably.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    The key to this game will be fatigue. I covered last year's game for The Chronicle, and it was the only time I ever heard K make an actual excuse—he couldn't stop emphasizing how exhausted the team was following Maui. I would think that not having to deal with jet-lag this year, as well as being energized by the Crazies, would help there.

Other than that, if we can hold Thomas to around 20 points as opposed to letting him go off for 25-30, that would be a big boost.
    A very good point. I remember that well from last year. Two teams from Maui got creamed in road games in the Big 10/ACC Challenge last year (Duke at OSU/Mich at UVA). Same thing with UNC at IU last night. Coincidence? or Pattern?

This year with Duke is different for two reasons. 1. The B4A tourney was in the Eastern Time Zone, 2. Duke is at home. Fatigue could still be a factor, especially for Seth due to his leg injury, and Mason, who played 35+ mpg in 3 consecutive days. So, something to watch.

Like Gumbomoop, I am a huge fan of Craft and was so looking forward to seeing him play in person, but a nasty stomach flu decided to hit my family this week and I am still on the couch. Which sucks.

The Craft/Cook match up will go a long way in deciding this game. We need Quinn to have a big game tonight and turn the table so to speak, around on Craft keeping constant pressure on him. We also need to punish OSU inside with Mason in the post, and Ryan with the midrange shots, combined with drives to the basket.

Defensively, pressure the ball and wings hard, making it difficult for OSU to get into their sets. I suspect we will rotate bodies on Thomas with Rasheed, Tyler, and a little bit of Amile. It will be interesting to see what defensive strategy K employs. Letting Thomas get his and shut everyone else down, or trying to shut Thomas down with the belief the others can't beat you.

Going to be a big time game! Let's hope our guys are ready to rock.

Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Ohio State here, starters are posted for both teams

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=14467

The Crazies must be extra loud tonight... we don't want old Brent to fall asleep.

Musberger and Bilas may be the best announcing duo ESPN has ever put together.

happily muting jay bilas and co...

go duke!!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Obviously 2 match ups to watch will be who covers Thomas and are they able to slow him down. And how will Cook handle Craft. Craft is good on offense but usually it is his defense that takes the other PG out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    happily muting jay bilas and co...

go duke!!!
    I'd be muting dick v, but I can stomach these two.

Brent with a gangnam style reference... maybe he's not as old and senile as I originally thought

Karl Hess. Is it worth watching anymore?

Loving the early help D!

Solid start so far. Shouldn't have given up that original basket. Sheed has to learn to box out. Luckily, Mason didn't pick up his first but Mason has been as good as advertised and Ryan getting involved.

Also loving the turnaround bank shot by Mason!

tighten up d

Watching tonight on ESPN looks so different after watching the weird camera placement/angles during the B4A games