Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Interview With Johnny Dawkins

by Richard Kent, [BlackAthlete Sports Network,LLC]
    POSTED: Jan 14, 2007

I think that is pretty clear and speaks for itself.
    Read the first chapter of "Beyond Basketball." I'll paraphrase it here. Coach K talks about the fact that JD believed in Coach before anyone else did. He came to a program that was average at best, and enabled K to sell Duke to others. He also was instrumental in building Duke into a national powerhouse and K into a household name. JD went on to have a successful NBA career, and returned to Duke where he has continued to help build the program.

K goes on to say something to the effect of "there is no better steward of Duke basketball than JD, and who better to carry on the program than someone who was instrumental in building it." I interpreted that to mean JD was in line for the job once K leaves.
    "There can BE only one."

Who takes over after Coach K?

I know Coach K is 61 and still has about 7-9 more years left to catch Bob Knight but who takes over after him?

Is it a line of succession where Dawkins will take over as HC,there are reports hes going to be sought out hardly by South Carolina at the end of the season.

Could someone fill me in.

Reports?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    I know Coach K is 61 and still has about 7-9 more years left to catch Bob Knight but who takes over after him?

Is it a line of succession where Dawkins will take over as HC,there are reports hes going to be sought out hardly by South Carolina at the end of the season.

Could someone fill me in.
    Could you please identify these reports? What reports?

Dawkins isn't going anywhere, IMO.

And Coach K's successor will probably be Jason Evans. I hear Coach K loves his taste in movies.
    Last edited by Mike Corey; 02-01-2008 at 11:36 AM.

I wouldn't be shocked in Dawkins left at some point (though I would be surprised because it seems like he'd have a lot of support to succeed K), but I would be shocked if he left for South Carolina. He could get a MUCH better job than that.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Could you please identify these reports? What reports?
    No official reports just some rumbling amongst their fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Dawkins

But from the fans I know and trust they have said that South Carolina will probably look into Dawkins or Collins at the end of the season.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 02-01-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: The italics are annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked in Dawkins left at some point (though I would be surprised because it seems like he'd have a lot of support to succeed K), but I would be shocked if he left for South Carolina. He could get a MUCH better job than that.
    Didnt he get considered for the Rutgers job a few years back and turned it down.

South Carolina is a decent job they have some solid talent,and all he has to do is keep the players in state from going to Clemson,which is good for us.

Dawkins would be building on a program thats NIT Level so its not like its a complete rebuilding project,and with his Duke pedigree it would be considered a HUGE hiring down there.

Cockytalk?

Cockytalk?

Thats just wrong.

Hey, where'd it go?
    Last edited by dw0827; 02-01-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Hey? where'd it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    No official reports just some rumbling amongst their fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Dawkins

But from the fans I know and trust they have said that South Carolina will probably look into Dawkins or Collins at the end of the season.
    Yes, since an anonymous contributor from South Carolina decided to edit Dawkins' wikipedia entry, clearly that means that it is true. Right...</sarcasm> The unsourced speculation has now been removed.

It is awfully hard to speculate because I believe Coach K will be on our bench for at least another 7 or 8 years, but if I had to put my money down on anyone, it would be Wojo.

But who knows, Jeff Capel could have a couple of Final Fours or a NC under his belt by then and be a leading candidate. Wojo could be offered a can't turn down job next year. So many things could change.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Cockytalk?

Thats just wrong.

Hey, where'd it go?
    here it is.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=58225

Apparently some fans want one of our assistants,and others think all of our assistants/former players are failures as coaches.

Which is absolutely false.

Speculation premature

The future is a long time. Things change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes, since an anonymous contributor from South Carolina decided to edit Dawkins' wikipedia entry, clearly that means that it is true. Right...</sarcasm> The unsourced speculation has now been removed.
    You removed it?

Even if it were false,it sounds like an ideal situation for Dawkins because I just cant see him staying on the bench as an assistant for much longer unless his patience is zen like.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The future is a long time. Things change.
    True.

Rumblings that I've heard from better connected fans than me (usually people I meet through my dad, who somehow seems to know everybody) is that the departure might be sooner than we think/hope. This was before the season though, it may be that coach K is enjoying this season quite a bit (it seems like he is) and might stay longer. It could also be that the people I heard are just plain wrong.

Regardless, I think Dawkins is a strong candidate for replacing K. That's another reason it seems like K might leave sooner rather than later. Especially considering his own health plus his interests in things outside basketball, plus if Dawkins really is the plan, how long are they going to hold on to him (he's not old, but he's not all that young either)?

Whether he stays 3 years or 15, I think Duke will continue it's basketball excellence well into the future, so while I'll certainly be sad to see him leave, I won't be concerned.

Talking about this for the umpteenth time, in the middle of the season, sure is timely.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

for the record (and umpteenth time) JD is Associate Head Coach, not an Assistant. He is K's right hand. And from conversations with him (in '04) he is (was, admittedly) content with where he is and what he is doing. Everything I have heard since reinforced that idea, I would be shocked if he went elsewhere. Shocked.

As for ascending to the throne, JD has always demured - with the exception of that 2007 interview posted earlier. I have been in the camp of "JD retires with K", and promoted that idea on the boards. This interview changes that a little, and I would be glad to have JD if K retired, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was transitional.

I don't buy Wojo or Collins as head coaches without external experience. My dark horse candidate? Coach Duhon. 10 years down the line, he could be a great coach. I'd put money that he is coaching at some level by then, and could pull a JD - bring the NBA money to a nice gated community in the triangle and work at the Alma Mater.

Exiled

I'm hope that the heir is Coach Dawkins; but talk about well thought out schemes!? When the time comes for that (I'm going on a three week vacation and I will begin taking anti-depressant medication), Duke will do probably the best job most of us have seen at getting the right guy in the seat.

And those shoes are way too big for anyone to fill; K is SUPERMAN.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ^^I think I've mainly just heard it floating around on Duke message boards, to be honest. I was almost positive that a rather respected poster awhile back on Devil's Den, posted a quote or something from Johnny saying that he wouldn't be interested.

I'm not trying to spread any rumors here, because I honestly do not know. These certainly aren't hard facts. I was just wondering if anyone else here had ever heard anything similiar regarding Dawkins??
    A 2007 Interview With Johnny Dawkins

BA-You must have had numerous opportunities to be a head coach.

JD-I have had opportunities but I am very happy at Duke.The opportunity to work with Coach K. is great.He is a true leader.And he has taught me a lot.

BA-Would you consider a head coaching job?

JD-Sure that is my goal.

BA-Would that be at Duke after Coach K, retires?

JD-Let's not talk about him retiring.And coaching Duke is everyone's ideal.

Dawkins if he wants it, otherwise Jeff Capel, Jeff Capel, a thousand times Jeff Capel.

Duke has been and continues to be great for a number of reasons, but the most important, at least in my opinion, is the consistency of effort our teams show. Very rarely do you see anyone taking a possession off, much less a game. Scrapping for loose balls, tenacity on defense, and so on, those are Duke hallmarks, and are an attitude thing as much as anything else.

Attitude extends from the coach downward. From what I've seen of Capel's OU teams so far, there is no shortage of effort. Those guys are playing hard, getting every last inch out of their admittedly limited talent. They play like Duke. That's not an accident.

Remember, also, that the VCU team which took us out last year was, essentially, a Jeff Capel team, just a year removed from his stint there as HC.