Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Mitch McGary does appear to enjoy setting screens. Too bad, if he did, he might get some more open touches.

Wow, the Zeller parents really were pointing and laughing in that romp tonight. Not that I minded, of course. Quite a halftime locker room speech Roy must have given his scholar-athletes. Evidently the 20-some point Butler deficit wasn't deep enough. Went for 30 this time. Well done.

Poor Wake, the only "upset" in the first round. Sounds like they truly are still terrible.

Tomorrow could get ugly for the ACC

- Virginia and Georgia Tech looking at much more talented teams, and on the road
    - Miami getting Michigan St and home. Somehow favored. I don't understand that.
    - BC lost to Bryant. Bryant.
    - Duke faces the team that stomped them last year. More optimistic this year, but it will be a very tough game.
    - Who knows if Clemson can handle Purdue. They should.

Va Tech and MD looked like sure fire winners going into today. The ACC doesn't have a comfortable matchup in any game tomorrow.

Unhappy

Not looking too good for the ACC. 2-4 for the first day, and some tough match-ups set for tomorrow. Might be tough to even things up. Odd that this year the Big10 is better in BB and the ACC, for the latter half of the FB season, had the clear upper hand in top-25 FB rankings (OSU doesn't count b/c of ineligibility). At one point a few weeks ago the Big10 had ZERO FB teams ranked in top-25. Really.

This was certainly a year I'd love to see the ACC win this thing though.

Even though I could've been happy to see Indiana go down, and clear a path for Duke at #1 - that alone is I'm sure why some on IC are claiming "we meant to lose..." - I must confess to more than just a little pleasure in watching the heels get so thoroughly spanked on national TV!

Have to say, IU was impressive. Great team basketball. 21 Assists on 33 FGs vs. Carowina's 8 assists on 26 FGs.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    BC lost to Bryant. Bryant.
    You mean Kobe played them one-on-five and still won? Wow! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    You mean Kobe played them one-on-five and still won? Wow! 8-)
    Honestly, that could be a good matchup with BC this year. Kobe could defend the lane and focus on preventing close shots and getting boards. On offense, I'm not sure BC could contain him.

I switched back and forth among several games last night. Some observations:

•Michigan and Indiana stood out among the teams. I really like Michigan. They have some very good talent, including four talented freshmen, are well rounded, share the ball, and they are well coached. By the end of the year, they may be better than Indiana.
    •NC State has talent but is their coach capable of pulling it together as a cohesive team?
    •UNC looked terrible. I've only seen them play twice but they seem overrated. It won't matter during ACC play because the league is not strong this year.
    •Sheehy looked to be a better player than uncle Tom who was mainstay for Virginia several years ago.
    •Maryland defended well and destroyed NW on the boards. By my count, they only made seven jump shots but it didn't matter. They will be a very competitive team during ACC play regardless of what Pomeroy thinks.
    •Based on the four games I watched, the B1G is the superior league. I'd like to see the ACC do better tonight but I will be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I switched back and forth among several games last night. Some observations:

•Michigan and Indiana stood out among the teams. I really like Michigan. They have some very good talent, including four talented freshmen, are well rounded, share the ball, and they are well coached. By the end of the year, they may be better than Indiana.
    •NC State has talent but is their coach capable of pulling it together as a cohesive team?
    •UNC looked terrible. I've only seen them play twice but they seem overrated. It won't matter during ACC play because the league is not strong this year.
    •Sheehy looked to be a better player than uncle Tom who was mainstay for Virginia several years ago.
    •Maryland defended well and destroyed NW on the boards. By my count, they only made seven jump shots but it didn't matter. They will be a very competitive team during ACC play regardless of what Pomeroy thinks.
    •Based on the four games I watched, the B1G is the superior league. I'd like to see the ACC do better tonight but I will be surprised if they win more than 5 games.

gw67
    I'll be surprised if we even reach 5 wins. I think we're a coin toss against OSU, I'd take Clemson over Purdue, but that's it. I'd take Wisconson (at home) over UVa, MSU over Miami, Illinois (at home) over GT, and PSU (at home) over BC.

Clemson-Purdue

The ACC's chances of winning the challenge took a hit last night -- not just from the 2-4 record in Tuesday's six games -- but also because of this:

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2...e/?partner=RSS

I definitely thought Clemson had a chance against Purdue, but Milton Jennings -- the team's best player and senior leader -- has been suspended for the Purdue game after being arrested for possession of weed.

The ACC was favored in just two games tonight -- Duke/Ohio State and Clemson/Purdue.

It's going to be awfully hard to get the four more wins we need to break even in tonight's six games. Virginia at Wisconsin (with Evans still limping) is nearly impossible. BC at Penn State is a longshot with Ryan Anderson limping (which is the reason they lost to Bryant Sunday). Georgia Tech at Illinois is not impossible (Illinois barely survived Gardner Webb Sunday), but it's going to be tough on the road. Michigan State at Miami is as close to a toss up as it gets -- neither team has been that impressive this year ... but I suspect that Tom Izzo's kids are a lot more mentally tough than the Miami kids. At least Miami has the talent to play with a team like Michigan State.

I like Duke's chances, but it's hardly a lock.

The ACC wll be lucky to duplicate last night's 2-4 record.

Maybe I am just getting old (well, no maybe about that), but I don't have a conference allegiance any longer. Perhaps it has been the years of ridiculous Duke envy, lies, hate, etc... or the fact that UNC and Duke have carried the conference for years. This, combined with the ever shifting composition of conferences has made me a Duke fan. I used to be a Duke and ACC fan, but now I really don't care about anyone but Duke, and of course whomever is playing UNC at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Maybe I am just getting old (well, no maybe about that), but I don't have a conference allegiance any longer. Perhaps it has been the years of ridiculous Duke envy, lies, hate, etc... or the fact that UNC and Duke have carried the conference for years. This, combined with the ever shifting composition of conferences has made me a Duke fan. I used to be a Duke and ACC fan, but now I really don't care about anyone but Duke, and of course whomever is playing UNC at the time.
    Can't say there is much wrong with how you feel.

Oh, Clemson. SMH. (First time I've ever used the abbreviation.)

Purdue 42, Clemson 22 - Halftime

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post

Yes, but, Virginia 43, Wisconsin 40, 8:00 to play. That's something.

Edit: 46-40, 7:43 to play. Wa-hoo-wa.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I think I just found my new religion - this...just speaks to me

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Yes, but, Virginia 43, Wisconsin 40, 8:00 to play. That's something.

Edit: 46-40, 7:43 to play. Wa-hoo-wa.
    Virginia puts on a great defensive performance to close the game and win by 6. That team could be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Virginia puts on a great defensive performance to close the game and win by 6. That team could be something.
    About time these new ACC coaches start to produce but can't fail to mention how silent the Kohl center sounded tonight as opposed to when Duke is there.

ACC isn't out of it yet and may not be as bad as originally thought. Miami looks pretty good, if they can hold on versus MSU, the ACC might be able to pull out a tie. They'd probably have to win both Duke/OSU and BC/PSU but I figured it might be over by now.

Jimmy Dykes also just said if he was starting a college program, he'd take Zeller over Plumlee. The fact that Plumlee, a senior, is even in the discussion says a lot to me. Don't hear them talking about Nerlens too much.

Miami up by 10 with 3:37 left to play.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post

I don't know if I was using the abbrev., but I was Clemson SMH when they lost to Carolina in 2002.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

So Miami's win rush the court worthy?