Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Didnt he play on Happy Days?
    I believe that was Donny Most.

VCU-Mizzou

about 1:10 to go, Mizzou gets the ball back on a charge by VCU. Marshall calls it good defense because the Mizzou player stopped and drew the charge on a drive for a layup.

So that's not a flop, but good defense. Even though the guy taking the charge was bigger and taller.

Ok. Just checking.

wanker.

UConn Floppy

Quote Originally Posted by chaosmage View Post
    about 1:10 to go, Mizzou gets the ball back on a charge by VCU. Marshall calls it good defense because the Mizzou player stopped and drew the charge on a drive for a layup.

So that's not a flop, but good defense. Even though the guy taking the charge was bigger and taller.

Ok. Just checking.

wanker.
    thats awesome
    an entire thread devoted to UConn Donny!!
    Lenny Elmore territory, man

Quote Originally Posted by fh84 View Post
    I was so angry after watching the game last night. I wrote two emails to NBC and NBCsports. I was embarrassing for a "sports network" trying to rival ESPN...
    Though to be fair, ESPN STILL puts up with Vitale's and Berman's schtick, after all these years-- both of those guys are so far past their sell-by dates, they should be labeled "dangerous for consumption"... but in a nod toward your take on NBCSports channel, at least the guys at ESPN know that they work in Bristol, not "Brisnol"-- the anchor at NBCSports (Ian McHugh?) told us several times last night that the weather in the Bahamas was better than it was at the NBCSports studios in "Stanford, CT"... this NBCSports anchor clown also assumed that Coach K walked off the court at speed because he was unhappy with Duke's performance-- instead of recognizing that K has a very tight schedule for talking to his team after these 3 games in 3 days tourneys, and has to get a lot of coaching and logistics planning done in a short time, before hurrying back out to the court to scout his next opponent in the immediately upcoming game.

I won't even bother to spend much time on DonnyFlops-- other than to note that he certainly had no problem with the incredible touch fouls called on both Plumlee (rebound) and Kelly (block) in this game, or the shot to the jaw on Thornton, but he was sure that Duke was flopping anytime they drew an offensive foul on VCU... he even wanted a travel on Kelly or Curry on a floor scramble when they didn't even have possession of the ball yet... boy, it sure is good that Duke has figured out how to play at other than Princeton's slow-down speed, and take care of the ball against a suffocating, pressure defense-- because Duke surely never runs or presses in its practices.

Louisville sure "sells a lot of calls"

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Louisville sure "sells a lot of calls"
    I caught that too. Unbelievable.

This may have been said already, and I was catching up on DVR, but I didn't hear them call out the number of fouls any player on any team had until R Kelly fouled out. It wasn't flashed on the screen either. Shouldn't that be a given? How the hell else is one to acquire this information?

Overall I thought Donny Marshall did fine tonight. He must have been issued a warning/critique by the suits at NBC Sports after last night's debacle.

In any case, I for one was happy not to hear the usual ESPN comments along the lines of 'Duke gets all the calls', 'Duke makes more free throws than their opponents attempt', etc. It made for a fun game to watch/listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Overall I thought Donny Marshall did fine tonight. He must have been issued a warning/critique by the suits at NBC Sports after last night's debacle.
    I thought the same thing (on both points).

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    This may have been said already, and I was catching up on DVR, but I didn't hear them call out the number of fouls any player on any team had until R Kelly fouled out. It wasn't flashed on the screen either. Shouldn't that be a given? How the hell else is one to acquire this information?
    I hinted towards this in my earlier post when I said I just mute the TV because, you are not going to gain any useful information about the game from MOST announcers. I may get the computer out and go to a "gamecast" site to get the stats, but I really enjoy watching the games without the yak from the talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Didnt he play on Happy Days?
    Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    I believe that was Donny Most.
    He's the son of Donny Most and Happy Days actress Penny Marshall (sister of creator Garry Marshall)

It seemed strange that Donny was fine with the calls against Duke in crunch time when Duke guards would extend their arms and Louisville players would flop backwards. At least he did opine that the last two calls against Ryan were wrong.

this is my 3rd season of muting the TV and listening to the radio broadcast....it's generally about 5 seconds AHEAD of the TV so i already know what's going to happen on the next play. The great thing about this, (even tho it takes a bit of getting used to) is that you get to watch the play set up. When you know how it's going to be a plumdunk for example, you get to watch him getting into position and watch the assist as well... you also get to listen to bob harris....

I love it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I think you are being very charitable to say that Donny was less obnoxious last night.

The obvious bias in describing the foul disparities and the nature of said fouls was bad enough (admittedly we were dealing with some Bahaman middle school's refs in this tourney - they were truly awful), but the most annoying and petty part to me was him re-emphasing down the last minute of the game, how Louisville was a different team without its starting center. While the Dukies on the court were making great basketball plays...he couldn't help himself to try to diminish their win. That was very immature and less than professional.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-25-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    I think you are being very charitable to say that Donny was less obnoxious last night.

The obvious bias in describing the foul disparities and the nature of said fouls was bad enough (admittedly we were dealing with some Bahaman middle school's refs in this tourney - they were truly awful), but the most annoying and petty part to me was him re-emphasing down the last minute of the game, how Louisville was a different team without its starting center. While the Dukies on the court were making great basketball plays...he couldn't help himself to try to diminish their win. That was very immature and less than professional.
    I thought the exact same thing.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-25-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Fortunately, we no longer have Billy Packer around.

He would be all over this "flopping" theme.
    It was Packer that started it, back in 2001...

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post

I thought the same thing. Did he ever mention Marshall not being in the game?

Knowing that MP3 wasn't playing would require doing some homework. Donny never mentioned that Seth was hurt but instead said he was playing poor defense and not moving his feet well. The TV station never made it a point to show Marshall (or others) on the bench. They kept mentioning when Mason got his second foul how Duke isn't deep this year, but never mentioned MP3.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Knowing that MP3 wasn't playing would require doing some homework. Donny never mentioned that Seth was hurt but instead said he was playing poor defense and not moving his feet well. The TV station never made it a point to show Marshall (or others) on the bench. They kept mentioning when Mason got his second foul how Duke isn't deep this year, but never mentioned MP3.
    Knowing that MP3 was hurt required reading the game notes provided by Duke for the Minnesota, VCU, and Louisville games. I realize these are hefty documents at 33, 13, and 13 pages respectively, but each one has a roster buried all the way at the bottom of page 1, which notes MP3 is sidelined with an injury. The Minnesota notes also cover his injury specifically on page 5 and in his bio on page 28. I can see how Donny missed it. (/sarcasm)

To be fair, there is no mention of Curry's leg issues in any of the game notes, so Donny would actually have had to do more homework. I'm not sure it was covered in Calipari's halftime interview. (/more sarcasm)

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Knowing that MP3 was hurt required reading the game notes provided by Duke for the Minnesota, VCU, and Louisville games. I realize these are hefty documents at 33, 13, and 13 pages respectively, but each one has a roster buried all the way at the bottom of page 1, which notes MP3 is sidelined with an injury. The Minnesota notes also cover his injury specifically on page 5 and in his bio on page 28. I can see how Donny missed it. (/sarcasm)

To be fair, there is no mention of Curry's leg issues in any of the game notes, so Donny would actually have had to do more homework. I'm not sure it was covered in Calipari's halftime interview. (/more sarcasm)
    Ok so when my bud D84 is upset with the commentating, then it is darn well a legitimate gripe!

I caught Friday's game at my nieces house during my families Thanksgiving get together. There was a lot of noise in the room with all the people, so those of us watching the game caught little to none of the commentary. Sounds like that was a blessing in disguise, after reading all of the commentary in the threads. I assume it is safe to state that ol Donny said the word "Flop" more than a couple of times during the game? And did the guy really refer to Minnesota as "We"?

At any rate, it has been amazing in recent years at how different the commentary is during Duke games vs games that do not involve Duke. With Vitale being the obvious exception, the commentary is often built around Duke's weaknesses, "Duke getting all the calls", and what the other team needs to do to win the game. Also, if there is a controversial call that goes Duke's way, they will show the replay from every angle imaginable, yet if it goes against Duke, there is often no replay shown at all. That has happened numerous times, which by itself is jut kind of bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Ok so when my bud D84 is upset with the commentating, then it is darn well a legitimate gripe!

I caught Friday's game at my nieces house during my families Thanksgiving get together. There was a lot of noise in the room with all the people, so those of us watching the game caught little to none of the commentary. Sounds like that was a blessing in disguise, after reading all of the commentary in the threads. I assume it is safe to state that ol Donny said the word "Flop" more than a couple of times during the game? And did the guy really refer to Minnesota as "We"?

At any rate, it has been amazing in recent years at how different the commentary is during Duke games vs games that do not involve Duke. With Vitale being the obvious exception, the commentary is often built around Duke's weaknesses, "Duke getting all the calls", and what the other team needs to do to win the game. Also, if there is a controversial call that goes Duke's way, they will show the replay from every angle imaginable, yet if it goes against Duke, there is often no replay shown at all. That has happened numerous times, which by itself is jut kind of bizarre.
    Newton14, believe me if you had heard Marshall you would have turned down the volumee (even if you couldn't listen on the radio). It was worse than Len Elmore on his worst day. I have not heard a more bias commentator since I've been rooting for Duke University. That goes back to the Howard Hurt days. GoDuke!