Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Interesting, no flop talk in the Louisville-Missouri game

I'll air out my grievances and then let it go; but it sure is interesting that all the "flop" talk ended with the Duke game and no mention of flops taken in the Louisville-Missouri game when there were some clear calls that could've been called "flops" by both teams (if you go by the kinds of plays Duke made tath Marshall called flops). Yet, noting has been said by either announcer. I even heard Donny call a play that was ruled a blocking call against Louisville as a "that's a tough play for officials to call [in regards to if it was a charge or blocking foul]". Yet, the actually play was no different than waht a Duke plaer did. Hmmmmm...Very interesting....

Marshall may have been lectured to between games about his biased announcing.

The Duke-VCU game is the first time I have ever heard any announcer use the word flop. Other announcers may disagree with calls but they usually blame the officials not one of the teams that is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I never thought I would miss ESPN coverage this much.
    He didn't merely make me appreciate espn. He made me appreciate Len Elmore.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    He didn't merely make me appreciate espn. He made me appreciate Len Elmore.
    Agreed...by the way, the thread title should be "Donny Marshall"...Donyell Marshall is a different player.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    I read all of your posts in my head with Don Imus's voice. fyi.
    Lol. Now that's a funny thought. I guess it's a good thing my avatar isn't this guy or that could get pretty confusing.
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Angry Donny "Flops" Marshall

I don't think I've ever been angrier at an announcer than I was with Donny "Flops" Marshall tonight. Was watching the game with my sister and her husband, BC and MD grads respectively, and who love to root for DUKE opponents just to goad me, but even they were laughing loudly at this guy's blatant rooting against Duke. Really pathetic. How does someone with that much bias ever get into a broadcast booth in the first place???!

I guess you could say he really flopped in his performance tonight!

I hopes K points this out to the guys before the game so they will want to win even more.

Webster's has just revised the definition of flop to include any foul called against a Duke opponent.

Simply Put

Surely there will be questional charges and/or blocks, but if a team is unable to play defense then BB would not exist.

Make no mistake, Cal got the ball rolling on this one... This guy just picked up the ball and went with it.

What really got me fired up with Donny's biased commentary is when he called the screen by Reddic at the top of the key on Sulaimon a flop. Even after a couple of replays in which you could tell that Reddic had his leg sticking out much further than his shoulders. There was no doubt that he tripped Sulaimon but Donny kept calling it a flop!

What an insult

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    He certainly is no Tommy Heinsohn.

What a rank amateur.
    Yes, Donny is worse than the guy who never figured out that Kareem's last name is Abdul-Jabbar and not Jabbar.

And who said, IIRC, "That was a great pass he made to James Worthy Magic Johnson."

Try diagramming that. I bet you didn't know that English sentences could have a noun and a pronoun as redundant subjects.

And Marshall, in his post game analysis, stated: ". . . you'll talk to Shaka Smart and he'll tell you we just didn't make shots. It was much deeper than that. Duke really handled the pressure like you said. But not only that, they stayed aggressive, they didn't get sped up, they played their game and, I know people don't like to hear it--all the Duke haters--they played Duke basketball."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Make no mistake, Cal got the ball rolling on this one... This guy just picked up the ball and went with it.
    Bingo. Cal knew what he was doing with that comment.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Bingo. Cal knew what he was doing with that comment.
    Fortunately, we no longer have Billy Packer around.

He would be all over this "flopping" theme.

I was so angry after watching the game last night. I wrote two emails to NBC and NBCsports. I was embarrassing for a "sports network" trying to rival ESPN...

By trying to point out Duke's defense and how it is "seemingly" unfair aren't folks like Calipari and Marshall just making excuses for teams to lose?
    Isn't this also getting into the heads of the opposing players that we really can't win against Duke because of their defense?
    If so go ahead and keep talking about it. I like that Duke gets a mental edge in every game. I have yet to see how the many years of Maryland complaining about Duke ever got them an edge on the court.

Didnt he play on Happy Days?

I think he had been told to cut it out and get his (edited noun) together before the post-game comments, which were all complimentary of Duke. It was such a flip-flop (heh) from the way he called the game that someone must have intervened.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Marshall gave the low score before going to commercial once. As in "VCU 32, Duke 35."

Beyond brutal.

My son, who turns 14 next month, could do better. Seriously.