Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Justin TV Link

For those of you without access to NBC Sports, here is the link from Justin TV.
    http://www.justin.tv/l1c4cbb
    passcode: l1c4

Minnesota vs Memphis is live right now!!

OK, Minnesota beat Memphis. That makes me a little more confidant about the game tonight, since this means that Memphis was not as good as many expected. Thus, VCU did not have to be great to beat them, so I feel better about our chances against VCU. Lets see now, can I make that any more twisted? Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeblue91 View Post
    I don't know for sure and I'm just speculating but watching Seth play I think the reason of no practice is just to be on the save side by the staff. He has looked fine when playing, even when hitting the floor going for loose balls.
    If he was that hurt he would not do those kind of plays and I would also have to believe that Coach K would not let him either.
    I disagree. Whether Seth has severe shin splints or a stress reaction, the pain comes from running and jumping. Diving to the floor or getting bumped going after a loose ball don't hurt any more than they normally would. If you treat it properly pre-game, once the adrenalin starts the pain is tolerable during activity, but after the activity you feel a great deal of pain and once you cool down from playing you're not in a hurry to start up again. I assume that's why he generally skips activity on consecutive days. And the only way to fix it is to rest -- I strongly doubt he's avoiding practice just to be "on the save side."

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    For those of you without access to NBC Sports, here is the link from Justin TV.
    http://www.justin.tv/l1c4cbb
    passcode: l1c4

Minnesota vs Memphis is live right now!!
    --------------------------------

For those with Directv, it looks like channel 220 is nbcsports. How have I never noticed that channel before?

Quote Originally Posted by hood7 View Post
    --------------------------------

For those with Directv, it looks like channel 220 is nbcsports. How have I never noticed that channel before?
    It used to be channel 605.

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    He was walking around the resort this morning in a boot. Not confidential because it's a pretty small place and all sorts of fans/coaches/opponents are also walking around. That doesn't need to mean he won't play, just an observation.
    Thanks for the report, Billy. Hopefully that last sentence proves true.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    OK, Minnesota beat Memphis. That makes me a little more confidant about the game tonight, since this means that Memphis was not as good as many expected. Thus, VCU did not have to be great to beat them, so I feel better about our chances against VCU. Lets see now, can I make that any more twisted? Go Duke!
    Taking into account the transitive property of basketball...
    We beat Minnesota by 18.
    Minnesota beat Memphis by 9.
    Thus, we would have beaten Memphis by 27.
    VCU only beat Memphis by 13.
    Therefore... we will beat VCU by 14.
    And so the game does not need to be played.

ut oh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Taking into account the transitive property of basketball...
    We beat Minnesota by 18.
    Minnesota beat Memphis by 9.
    Thus, we would have beaten Memphis by 27.
    VCU only beat Memphis by 13.
    Therefore... we will beat VCU by 14.
    And so the game does not need to be played.
    Now I'm worried...
    VCU beat FGSU by 23
    Duke beat FGSU by 21...
    VCU beats Duke by 2

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Now I'm worried...
    VCU beat FGSU by 23
    Duke beat FGSU by 21...
    VCU beats Duke by 2
    well, doesn't that mean duke will beat itself by 16 points?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well, doesn't that mean duke will beat itself by 16 points?
    Foul! Circular reference!

Bench minutes & point production

I've seen it mentioned on ESPN and in the Chronicle that Duke's lack of bench minutes and point production may be a concern during this three-games-in-three-days tournament. I looked back at last year's box scores from Maui and found the following:

Game 1 vs. Tennessee
    Total bench minutes: 41 (Miles 17, Tyler 14, Quinn 8, Josh 2)
    Total bench points: 7 (out of 77 total)

Game 2 vs. Michigan (started 25.5 hours after Game 1 tip)
    Total bench minutes: 30 (Miles 13, Tyler 12, Quinn 4, Josh 1)
    Total bench points: 8 (out of 82 total)

Game 3 vs. Kansas (started 27 hours after Game 2 tip)
    Total bench minutes: 30 (Tyler 21, Miles 8, Quinn 1)
    Total bench points: 9 (out of 68 total)

Last night's game vs. Minnesota
    Total bench minutes: 44 (Tyler 22, Josh 12, Amile 9, Alex 1)
    Total bench points: 2 (out of 89 total)

So the bench minutes figure in last night's game was higher than it was in any of last year's Maui games, but the point production was lower -- though it's not like the bench was putting up much scoring in last year's games either. Also, the bench minutes dropped last year from 41 in the first game to 30 in the next two. I think it's likely that we'll see a similar kind of drop this year, considering how much K wants to win these regular season tournaments and that Ryan only played 28 minutes yesterday.

Seth's injury makes this year and last year not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but assuming he can suit up tonight at least for 20-25 minutes (I have no idea how safe it is to make that assumption after his 33 minutes last night) and the bulk of the difference goes to Tyler, who has proved capable of playing big minutes, I'm guessing Josh's and Amile's minutes will decrease slightly and that Alex won't be playing much either, if at all.

I also think VCU's press will play an additional factor in forcing Duke to use a three-guard lineup for the entire game. I think Ryan is decent as a press breaking safety valve, but I do remember him turning the ball over in press situations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I disagree. Whether Seth has severe shin splints or a stress reaction, the pain comes from running and jumping. Diving to the floor or getting bumped going after a loose ball don't hurt any more than they normally would. If you treat it properly pre-game, once the adrenalin starts the pain is tolerable during activity, but after the activity you feel a great deal of pain and once you cool down from playing you're not in a hurry to start up again. I assume that's why he generally skips activity on consecutive days. And the only way to fix it is to rest -- I strongly doubt he's avoiding practice just to be "on the save side."
    Can't speak directly to Seth's injury w/o knowing exactly the severity (hard to believe he'd be playing at all w/ a fracture though) but having suffered from shin splints during my time in the military, and having played ball a good portion of my life I can say that..It only hurt while I was active, adrenalin or not it was pretty painful.

After I was done w/ whatever activity it may have been the pain subsided immediately. It was never a situation where I would still be in pain the following morning or throughout the day.

I for one think and HOPE they're just playing things safe and not trying to overdue it by having Seth, a 5th yr senior who's pretty comfortable in the system at this point push it in practice and risk re-injury or worsening the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Can't speak directly to Seth's injury w/o knowing exactly the severity (hard to believe he'd be playing at all w/ a fracture though) but having suffered from shin splints during my time in the military, and having played ball a good portion of my life I can say that..It only hurt while I was active, adrenalin or not it was pretty painful.

After I was done w/ whatever activity it may have been the pain subsided immediately. It was never a situation where I would still be in pain the following morning or throughout the day.

I for one think and HOPE they're just playing things safe and not trying to overdue it by having Seth, a 5th yr senior who's pretty comfortable in the system at this point push it in practice and risk re-injury or worsening the current situation.
    That's interesting. I had shin splints pretty bad while I was at Duke and it was exactly the opposite experience as yours. A pre-med friend of mine showed me how to wrap my foot and ankle and the pain was manageable during basketball or volleyball, but after and the next day I couldn't walk without severe pain.

Like I said I was just speculating and never had a problem like that myself to draw any conclusions.
    If it is as bad as I have read then seth is a real trooper for what he is doing and going through.
    I can only hope for him that it is just about healed or can't see how he is playing at such a level.
    This just raises my respect for him even more then it already was.
    Go Seth we are behind you and wish you well!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post

I hope that you are right for Seth's sake.
    But like I said I just can't see coach K doing something deliberate to hurt one of our guys.
    I don't believe he would let him play if there was any danger, i'd have to assume that he would sit him down for longer just so we had him towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just one comment -- the key to beating any pressure this year is not putting the ball in Quinn's hands and getting out of the way -- it's using Ryan Kelly as a press buster. Not as a dribbler, of course, but as a backcourt passing outlet.

K has used Ryan as his press buster all year -- with very good results.
    These guys know how to handle the press. They did it 10-12 times vs. Minnesota. They play Clemson as well. But this is a great point about Ryan. He's a good ball handler, does not get rushed and will be key. They should also look to go over the top to Mason and Rasheed. Patience is the key to beating the press. Ryan knows that and Quinn will hopefully figure that out quickly.

That's interesting. I had shin splints pretty bad while I was at Duke and it was exactly the opposite experience as yours. A pre-med friend of mine showed me how to wrap my foot and ankle and the pain was manageable during basketball or volleyball, but after and the next day I couldn't walk without severe pain.

Really? I dealt with shin splints pretty much all of my sophomore year of college. I would literally play basketball every day except Sundays including intramurals and it never bothered me outside of the gym. It was one of those things every time i put my bball shoes on and started running, I would start feeling it. When I took them off and was walking, I was fine. I'm sure there are different levels of pain and severity but they were definitely a pain in the butt. Is that what he was diagnosed with? Shin splints?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Really? I dealt with shin splints pretty much all of my sophomore year of college. I would literally play basketball every day except Sundays including intramurals and it never bothered me outside of the gym. It was one of those things every time i put my bball shoes on and started running, I would start feeling it. When I took them off and was walking, I was fine. I'm sure there are different levels of pain and severity but they were definitely a pain in the butt. Is that what he was diagnosed with? Shin splints?
    I guess it must be different for different people. I still get flare ups from time to time, and it rarely bothers me while I'm playing but almost always bothers me the next day.

As far as what Seth has, they haven't told us, but the speculation seems to be either severe shin splints or a stress reaction in the shin(s).

Live tempo-based stats for the Duke/VCU game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=14444

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    To my mind, the most important thing -- by far -- for this game is how much and how well Seth is able to play.

We've been told the leg injury is going to be a nagging injury all season. We've been told that prior to this, he hasn't been able to practice on the day after game -- and has, in fact, been very limited in practice, period. We've been told Duke is trying "to manage" the injury.

Well, seeing Seth in back-to-back (and -back, tomorrow) games ought to provide a clue to his limitations. Weill he wear down over the course of the season? With practice limited, will he be able to maintain his conditioning? Will he be ready to go three straight games in Greensboro in March? Will he be ready to play two games in three days on three straight weekends in the NCAA Tournament?

We don't know any of that. Not saying today will provide answers, but it ought to offer us a clue.

We NEED Seth at close to 100 percent. Through four games, he's been playing first-team All-ACC quality ball. We need that to continue.

I do have faith in the Duke medical staff -- and the coaching staff -- that they'll make the right decisions for Seth and the team. I'm just curious to see how much they use him today in a second game in 27 1/2 hours.
    If the scoreboard is accurate, Seth is starting.