Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    AXS TV, nee HDNET, has the legacy of being one of the first quality HD channels available to cable/satellite. They always specialized in doing reference quality HD/sound in whatever they produced and broadcast. Though the content has gone craptastic since the name change (and preceding investment by that idiot from American Idol), they likely retained the great quality of framing their sports in true 16x9 rather than the 4x3-safe crud everyone else does. I didn't get a chance to see the game, unfortunately, but I've watched sports on HDNET before and I longed for that sort of editorial decision to frame the shot around the actual action on the screen rather than leave all that empty space in the left/right sides. Oddly, even though networks like ESPN have even transitioned their SD broadcasts to a 16x9 letterbox, they still seem to frame their sports in 4x3-safe mode which zooms out far too wide when viewed in HD.

</soapbox>

-c
    Great info. I was watching the game with my Dad today, also a big Duke fan, and he made mention of exactly what you are referencing, commenting on how much he liked that the camera was zoned in on the action happening on the floor, rather than panning a shot of the whole side of the court the ball was on.

As I said previously, there are other venues across the country -- Syracuse, Indiana and Gonzaga off the top of my head -- that have or used to in the past feature camera angles that offer up-close vantage points. While that might not be possible in Cameron Indoor due to lack of space near the court for a low-angle sideline camera, as another poster mentioned, there is nothing stopping ESPN from zooming its cameras in a bit when broadcasting Duke games there. ESPN's camera perspective in Cameron has gotten noticeably further from the action in recent years, or at least has been inconsistent and different during certain games. Or maybe I am just imagining things. But I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    Yeah, We owe VCU one

Ditto!!

I still remember the taunting I took a few years ago from VCU alums in my office when they beat us in the NCAAT (March 15, 2007 in the first round in Buffalo I think), 79-77, at the last second - the Eric Maynor game. That team lost its final 4 games, first to the Terps at home, then to NC@ch in the Hansblah "nose job" game, then (a depleted team) lost to NCSU in the ACCT in Tampa, before losing in Buffalo to VCU.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&ATCLID=827703

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&ATCLID=827714
    Last edited by -bdbd; 11-22-2012 at 10:59 PM.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    As other have indicated, it's only because of how the court was set up...you can't get a high angle shot...contrast this to most arenas (cameron included) where there is just no space for a low angle sideline camera...unless you want to clear out the people who sit behind the scorers table

This had more to do with the arena than the broadcaster.
    Agree. It is a 4K seat arena with a very low ceiling above the court, and even lower over the stands. I would love to hear from the players on what it is like to play in that arena. It is like a modern version of the Maui gym. As for Axs tv, I do feel bad for the folks that don't get the channel, but for me, it was better than having the game on ESPNU. I have Dish Network, who inexplicably still does not offer ESPNU in HD which is annoying as hell. The picture quality today was awesome.

I was nervous heading into the game today, due to all the hype around Minnesota, and the line being so low, but our guys answered the call in a big way. The starting five is starting to gel. Quinn has gotten out of his early season funk and is starting to make plays in addition to running the offense well and defending well. Mason and Seth are playing like All Americans, and Rasheed is playing like a seasoned veteran. I mentioned this in the MOTM match, but I agree with Seth Davis in that Ryan Kelly needs to realize how good he can be. He and Mason can be one of the top front-lines in the country. I do think we need Marshall to help us stay big at the 5 when Mason needs a break or has to sit with foul trouble. Ryan is adequate at the 5, but we seem really small when Mason is not out there. Hopefully MP3 is ready to go soon and is able to contribute.

There were times in the 2nd half where it seemed like we could not get a stop, but I am not sure if that was poor defense by Duke, or just solid offense by Minny. The guys still look good defending the perimeter, especially compared to last year. Mason defended well on the interior, and I really wish Kelly would look to block shots more when it is a guard driving on him. I don't like him trying to take charges on the smaller guys. Like the play just before the half. Watching the replay, Ryan could have easily blocked that shot without fouling. Instead he flops and the guy gets the ol fashion 3 point play.

Seth was just awesome. Unreal. On a bum leg and still looking better than last year. I hate for him that he has this injury that apparently will linger all year. As good as he is playing right now, imagine if he were 100% healthy, able to work out and stay in tip top shape, and scrimmage with his teammates in practice? I am amazed at the chemistry the guys have given Seth only participates in walk throughs. They basically get no full speed reps with him in practice. You would never know it watching them play.

They may have to go without him tomorrow, but hopefully he can go on Saturday. (He is not ruled out tomorrow, they just said they won't know until tomorrow comes how the leg responds to today's game. So far he has been unable to practice at all on days following a game. He also wears a protective boot off the court.)

Speaking of boots, did anyone get a look at MP3's foot today to see if he was in the boot or sneakers?

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    I'm glad we got VCU, we still owe them one from the 2007 NCAA tournament.
    Why do we "owe them one"? Do we "owe" any team that beats us the next time we play them, even 6 years later? I don't remember anything about that game that we should begrudge, we just got beat fair and square. I don't see any reason for that to play a factor this time.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Why do we "owe them one"? Do we "owe" any team that beats us the next time we play them, even 6 years later? I don't remember anything about that game that we should begrudge, we just got beat fair and square. I don't see any reason for that to play a factor this time.
    I think the "we" is more in reference to the fans perspective than the players or staff. The thing about that game was that it was embarassing (again, mostly for us fans) and the winning shot became a signature clip for that tournament. There aren't many programs that have "the last laugh" against Duke. I want a piece of the Rams.

I think what he is saying is that the Duke fan base would like a little retribution for that loss at the expense of the VCU fan base. Their beat ours, now ours has to beat theirs to restore order.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Speaking of boots, did anyone get a look at MP3's foot today to see if he was in the boot or sneakers?
    He was in a boot.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I think the "we" is more in reference to the fans perspective than the players or staff. The thing about that game was that it was embarassing (again, mostly for us fans) and the winning shot became a signature clip for that tournament. There aren't many programs that have "the last laugh" against Duke. I want a piece of the Rams.
    That was also the game where all the Carolina homers, uh, I mean sports journalist from various Triangle media outlets, openly cheered an applauded in the media room at the Regional NCAA games going on in Winston Salem. It was said that the out of state reporters in the room were taken aback at that outburst by their "colleagues". They were all watching the coverage and the outburst came when the Duke upset was announced. One of the more non-professional acts by so called professionals I ever recall hearing about.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 11-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.

You're joking right? Of course we owe them one. I remember the end of that game very well and am still bitter over it. The go ahead jumper over Scheyer still haunts me. Scheyer's grudge over that game likely helped propel us to the title in 2010.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-04/sports/sc-spt-0405-ncaa-bits--20100404_1_coach-collins-duke-jon-scheyer

" Jon Scheyer keeps a photograph of himself in a special folder that shows him exhausted, bleeding from under the eye and appearing to be on the verge of tears.

The picture of Scheyer as a Duke freshman after losing to Virginia Commonwealth in the NCAA tournament was a gift from assistant coach Chris Collins, who knows how to motivate Scheyer."

I puked in a trash barrel on the curb outside of a Chili's after that game. We owe it to them.

And that's after having to sit through the entire second half in that Chili's in the presence of an insane lunatic who apparently had a big Duke chip on his shoulder and way too many beers, resulting in him staring me down and clapping his hands together with the same vigor as the Energizer Bunny each and every time VCU scored. In any other context I would have have been utterly petrified that a stranger was acknowledging me in this manner and fearful that I was about to die, but I was dressed like a Duke Christmas tree and figured that was probably the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    He was in a boot.
    Thanks Native. Appreciate it. Great job thus far by you and the Crazies at home games. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I puked in a trash barrel on the curb outside of a Chili's after that game. We owe it to them.

And that's after having to sit through the entire second half in that Chili's in the presence of an insane lunatic who apparently had a big Duke chip on his shoulder and way too many beers, resulting in him staring me down and clapping his hands together with the same vigor as the Energizer Bunny each and every time VCU scored. In any other context I would have have been utterly petrified that a stranger was acknowledging me in this manner and fearful that I was about to die, but I was dressed like a Duke Christmas tree and figured that was probably the reason why.
    Cameron, man, what a missed opportunity! You should have hurled on the insane lunatic!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Thanks Native. Appreciate it. Great job thus far by you and the Crazies at home games. Keep it up!

Cameron, man, what a missed opportunity! You should have hurled on the insane lunatic!
    He was like 6-7 or I might have, haha. I think it might have been John Pelphrey

We looked really good. again.

If anyone thinks we aren't one of the best teams in the country and have a really good shot at #5 in april, I think they're nuts.

Yeah, we can point out small things here and there, but on the large, this team is really really good. We have what is looking to be one of the best centers in the country who after 3 years is playing with the confidence to match his ability, opposite him is one of the biggest matchup problems in the country....

a shooting guard who is killing it on one leg right now, a PG who is coming into his own, and a stud freshman on the wing

we play smart defense, we score the ball in a variety of ways, we rebound, we have loads of experience....maybe we're a little thin on the bench, but that may improve with marshall coming back...

We've seen UK isn't the juggernaut of last year and is seemingly mediocre (morehead state and MD each took them to the wall)...so what team is out there that we can't beat?

crickets

Indiana and louisville seem pretty good, but are they better than we are? I don't think so.

I'll say it. I think we are the best team in the country. #1.

We have a tough stretch coming up, and we may lose one of those games. It happens. no one goes undefeated, but I don't think that will change my opinion. This team is special and I hope they realize it and the seniors are looking to go out the way they came in...by hanging a banner in the north end of cameron.
    April 1

If anyone thinks we aren't one of the best teams in the country and have a really good shot at #5 in april, I think they're nuts.

Yeah, we can point out small things here and there, but on the large, this team is really really good. We have what is looking to be one of the best centers in the country who after 3 years is playing with the confidence to match his ability, opposite him is one of the biggest matchup problems in the country....

a shooting guard who is killing it on one leg right now, a PG who is coming into his own, and a stud freshman on the wing

we play smart defense, we score the ball in a variety of ways, we rebound, we have loads of experience....maybe we're a little thin on the bench, but that may improve with marshall coming back...

We've seen UK isn't the juggernaut of last year and is seemingly mediocre (morehead state and MD each took them to the wall)...so what team is out there that we can't beat?

crickets

Indiana and louisville seem pretty good, but are they better than we are? I don't think so.

We have a tough stretch coming up, and we may lose one of those games. It happens. no one goes undefeated, but I don't think that will change my opinion. This team is special and I hope they realize it and the seniors are looking to go out the way they came in...by hanging a banner in the north end of cameron.
    Gotta agree with most of your observations about this team...I guess I haven't quite reached your conclusions.

If we can continue this level of play through this tournament and then tOSU and Temple, I'll be convinced. Of course, even being the best team in the country doesn't guarantee a championship, but it's a good place to start.

This team is MUCH improved on defense over last year, and is remarkably cohesive for being early in the season.

crickets

As much as the superstitious baseball player in me wants to keep this quiet, I have to agree with you. We look great at this point in the season.

We were never really in danger at any point in the game against the would-be #26 team in the nation. We consistently maintained/stretched our lead, never looked nervous, and played balanced, intelligent basketball.

And I don't know about the team, but that arena (ballroom) is such a weird-looking place to play basketball. The ceiling is low, and the crowd is in the dark. I wonder if that plays in at all.

- Chillin

Top 5 plays from Duke Blue Planet

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    Good response to what I thought was a physical team.
    I thought the same. Minny played us tough, overplaying at times and seeking contact a lot. That is Big 10 ball for you. Duke responded well. I thought Mason and Rasheed crashed the boards without fear. We need Ryan to do that more. He has 3, 3, 9, and 6 boards in our four games. He needs to turn all those threes into sixes, or we need to play Amile and Alex more for stretches. We ccan get out-rebounded by Minny and win, but cannot against State, OSU or Carolina. Time to address this now...

Tyler Thornton

22 minutes. 0-0 from field. 0-0 for the line. 0 boards. 1 assist. 3 steals. 3 TOs. 4 fouls.

I'd be interested in seeing his +/- for the game. Not sure that one game matters in that regard, but it feels like we're playing stagnant offense when he is in. His three TOs indicate that. His four fouls show that he is often aggressive in the wrong situations. If he continues to play 22 minutes a game (currently averaging 24.0) our ceiling as a team will be much lower than it will be with Murphy or Jefferson playing some of those minutes.

Coach K said last year that Thornton settled the team down, was like a coach on the floor. This team does not need to be settled this year. Seth is the crafty veteran and Quinn is stepping up as our leader, with Mason potentially reaching an elite level. It's time to let the rest of the roster grow.

Super "Counterarguments?" Dave

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    22 minutes. 0-0 from field. 0-0 for the line. 0 boards. 1 assist. 3 steals. 3 TOs. 4 fouls.

Coach K said last year that Thornton settled the team down, was like a coach on the floor. This team does not need to be settled this year. Seth is the crafty veteran and Quinn is stepping up as our leader, with Mason potentially reaching an elite level. It's time to let the rest of the roster grow.
    I completely agree with this Dave. He doesn't have near the same vision that either Quinn, Seth or Rasheed bring to the floor as an assist man, and he certainly isn't the offensive threat that any of them are. He is a good defensive player, and there are situations in which I think he is important to the team, but in most games those situations aren't going to last for 20+ minutes.

I would really like to see Amile or Murphy start to get some of those minutes. When one, or both, of them start to see more significant playing time I feel like we will become a much more versatile team, and able to match up with almost anyone.

But, all that being said, I feel inclined to trust Coach K to know what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

I'd be interested in seeing his +/- for the game. Not sure that one game matters in that regard, but it feels like we're playing stagnant offense when he is in. His three TOs indicate that. His four fouls show that he is often aggressive in the wrong situations. If he continues to play 22 minutes a game (currently averaging 24.0) our ceiling as a team will be much lower than it will be with Murphy or Jefferson playing some of those minutes.

Super "Counterarguments?" Dave
    I'm sorry but you really can't base anything on that game in regards to fouls.
    The officiating was horrendous to say it mildly.
    And I'm still 100% behind TT and we will need him to go deep.
    Not to mention that everyone is allowed to have a not so stellar game once in awhile and TT should not be the exception to this rule.

Trust me on this there is a reason why Coach K plays him as much as he does and it has very little to do of how much or little he likes him.