Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nantz on Dean - 1991 Duke/UNLV

I'm watching a tape of the Duke-UNLV game, and Nantz is discussing the upcoming halftime report on Smith's ejection from the earlier game. He says:

"I really feel bad for Dean Smith. I thought he was shown up at the end of that game. Although the replays gonna show he was out of the coaches box. Too ticky tack technicals on the legend and he was thrown out at the end of that game"

Does anyone else remember this? Did the media drool over Smith that openly? I was 11 when Dean retired so my memories on him are thankfully very small.

I'll be watching that one again soon. The issue was touched upon briefly in the Final against Kansas. I think they showed an extra long piece of bright tape applied to the floor (near each bench) so the coaches knew where they could not cross.

Over the years, there seems to be no consistency at all with respect to staying on the sideline in the coach's "box". Sometimes, esp. during a regular season game, a coach is a step or two on the floor itself, when action is at the other end. Far and away more than going a step too far toward the centerline. Nothing is usually called.

My SWAG is that Smith had probably ridden the refs throughout and, given his stature in the history of the game, they felt they needed something undeniable to point to, to justify tossing him with a second T.

I think Lute Olson would get the same fawning media treatment. K would probably too, if he would allow for some grey hair so that his appearance would be more consistent with that of a long-time legendary, distinguished, older coach.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I'll be watching that one again soon. The issue was touched upon briefly in the Final against Kansas. I think they showed an extra long piece of bright tape applied to the floor (near each bench) so the coaches knew where they could not cross.

Over the years, there seems to be no consistency at all with respect to staying on the sideline in the coach's "box". Sometimes, esp. during a regular season game, a coach is a step or two on the floor itself, when action is at the other end. Far and away more than going a step too far toward the centerline. Nothing is usually called.

My SWAG is that Smith had probably ridden the refs throughout and, given his stature in the history of the game, they felt they needed something undeniable to point to, to justify tossing him with a second T.

I think Lute Olson would get the same fawning media treatment. K would probably too, if he would allow for some grey hair so that his appearance would be more consistent with that of a long-time legendary, distinguished, older coach.
    "Allow for?" What might you be suggesting?

Yeah I remeber that. But what was that about some of the unc players going after the officials in the tunnel/locker room and the police going after the players??????? Funny you never hear about that. UNC=Thuggish program!!!!!

I'm so glad we upset UNLV and then beat Kansas.

Guthridge dressed down the officials in the tunnel after the game. Also, after Dean got tossed, he spent a good 5-10 slowly walking down the Kansas bench and congratulating each player and shaking their hands. Prima Donna.

"Hey Pete, how much time do I have? Hey Pete, how much time do I have?"

That's what i remember. Smith asking that question to ref Pete Pavia in a very sarcastic tone, after one of the Tar Heels had fouled out. Must have repeated it 5 or 6 times, as i recall.

what really happened to dean

as luck would have it, I was the lone media member present in the room after the tunnel when the carolina team left the floor after the loss to kansas. bill guthridge completely lost his cool and shouted at pete pavia, who had called the second T on dean. guthridge doesn't swear and I can't recall if he did then, but he was screaming about how pavia had treated the greatest coach in the country. dean knew what he was doing. he obviously knew he had one technical. I'd bet he never thought a second T for being out of the box would be called that late in the game, with the outcome decided. I've been told by two people seated behind the unc bench that dean was baiting pavia throughout, and especially after the first technical, which I'm not sure who called. I can't vouch for that authenticity. sadly, pavia died from cancer quite a few years ago.

coincidence?

I guess this is just what we do in the off-season. I've been re-exploring the '86 season lately. I just finished the tournament title game. What a war!
    Was that the only time Smith was ejected? Anyway, the holes should hang a banner.

I seem to recall . . .

My recollection is that the coach's box was either a recent invention at that time, or that it was a point of emphasis. I remember being both surprised and very satisfied that El-Deano got caught and the refs didn't let him get away with it - he was clearly baiting Pavia when he got called. The greatest thing about that night is that I was in a room full of Tar Heel fans watching Duke win in a huge upset and Carolina lose.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Best part about being there was saying "Ahhhh, See Ya!" to St. Dean.

He was clearly out of the box. That was a point of emphasis at that time, because of other incidents with coaches in previous seasons. The way it was explained to me by a couple of refs, if you're coaching (giving instructions to your team) the refs would give you some leeway, if you're baiting them, no such luck.

Thought I might bump this thread back to the top, as it must also be the anniversary of this occasion. Since we have the thread on Duke/UNLV, I figured we might reflect on how very close we were to the Apocalyptic Final of All Finals.

And Dean went and blew it. Roy v. Deano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZk25TdOkoc

Funny, in my memory, Dean swung this game with his ejection. Upon watching the replay, the game was pretty well in hand before he was tossed with 36 seconds to go and down 5 with Kansas at the line. Also, I have to admit, Dean took this rather graciously. I can't imagine any coach today getting kicked from the last minute of a Final Four game and shrugging his shoulders and shaking hands with the other coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Upon watching the replay, the game was pretty well in hand before he was tossed with 36 seconds to go and down 5 with Kansas at the line. Also, I have to admit, Dean took this rather graciously. I can't imagine any coach today getting kicked from the last minute of a Final Four game and shrugging his shoulders and shaking hands with the other coach.
    I don't think Dean wanted to be there at the end! Kinda like Roy in Tallahassee - let the "scrubs" do it.

Still looks like a totally ridiculous T at the end. Can't believe they threw him out.

Quote Originally Posted by bill brill View Post
    as luck would have it, I was the lone media member present in the room after the tunnel when the carolina team left the floor after the loss to kansas. bill guthridge completely lost his cool and shouted at pete pavia, who had called the second T on dean. guthridge doesn't swear and I can't recall if he did then, but he was screaming about how pavia had treated the greatest coach in the country. dean knew what he was doing. he obviously knew he had one technical. I'd bet he never thought a second T for being out of the box would be called that late in the game, with the outcome decided. I've been told by two people seated behind the unc bench that dean was baiting pavia throughout, and especially after the first technical, which I'm not sure who called. I can't vouch for that authenticity. sadly, pavia died from cancer quite a few years ago.
    Guthridge was way off base. At the time of that game, Bob Knight was the greatest coach in the country and one year later Mike Krzyzewski would be. Dean never was.

Has Coach K ever been ejected from a game? I can't remember an instance like this. In fact I don't think he has even generated a technical foul this year. For all the yelling and talking to the refs he does, he must be really good at finding where the line is and never crossing it. Of course I guess it helps when you are coaching a fun team and you haven't lost too many games.

Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    "Hey Pete, how much time do I have? Hey Pete, how much time do I have?"

That's what i remember. Smith asking that question to ref Pete Pavia in a very sarcastic tone, after one of the Tar Heels had fouled out. Must have repeated it 5 or 6 times, as i recall.
    Good recollection. While I remember that much of the media reacted with shock and woe at El Deano's ejection, one writer (was he from the NY Post?) wrote a very good article
    about how Dean had been sarcastically going after Pavia unrelentingly...and eventually Pavia had enough. His opinion was that the ejection was richly deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Has Coach K ever been ejected from a game? I can't remember an instance like this. In fact I don't think he has even generated a technical foul this year. For all the yelling and talking to the refs he does, he must be really good at finding where the line is and never crossing it. Of course I guess it helps when you are coaching a fun team and you haven't lost too many games.
    In the early days, K got tossed a fair number of times. Hard to think of one recently though.

I beg to differ

That game was not over. UNC down by 5, with 2 KU free throws coming, and 35 seconds left. That's a tall order, but far from impossible. Think Walter Davis, or Jay Williams vs. Maryland, or Tyus Jones this year against Carolina. The crusher of that T wasn't just the two extra FTs, it was the change of possession.

I bleed Duke Blue, but Dean's treatment in that moment was abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In the early days, K got tossed a fair number of times. Hard to think of one recently though.
    Christian Laettner was once ejected for being outside the coach's box at Kentucky. But at least he cleaned his room before hand.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMl7VFfT8E

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Guthridge was way off base. At the time of that game, Bob Knight was the greatest coach in the country and one year later Mike Krzyzewski would be. Dean never was.
    Bob Knight was NEVER the greatest coach. period.
    ~rthomas