Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Darkness warshed over the Dude - darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

My personal favorite famous line would have to be from Dirty Harry.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

Along with "Go ahead make my day." from Sudden Impact.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I always thought it was "What we have here is failure to communicate".
    I went and listened to it and it is actually, "What we've got here is failure to communicate." So you're right - the "a" is not there, also it's got, not have.

"You can't handle the truth!"

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Caddyshack and Airplane are gold mines.

I'll go with "it's in the hole!", and "Surely you can't be serious" respectively.

Famous? Well, not like "Franklly my dear, I don't give a Damn", but a lot more fun.

This Oz's favorite movie line is one that was totally glossed over in the movie, but was prominent in the book. I have used it here in posts many times.

What could have been, was.
    From the book, and movie Semi-Tough. It eliminates all the coulda's and shoulda's.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

"I'll be back."

"The name is Bond, James Bond."

Nominees for most famous:

"Shaken...not stirred."

"We'll always have Paris."

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

"All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain. Time to die."

Nominees for most fun:

"This...is my BOOMSTICK!"

"Game over man...GAME OVER!"

"Sally...this is my weak arm."

Nominees for worst ever:

"What does God need with a starship?"

"KHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!"

Ok...worst ever starts and ends with Shatner.

Someone mentioned the ad-libbed "you're gonna need a bigger boat" line. Some of the best lines and movie scenes end up being ad-libbed. That's almost another thread entirely, but my favorite ad-libbed scene was the one in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the swordsman is getting ready to fight Indy and Indy, looking too tired to deal with it, pulls out his gun and shoots him. Evidently, it was scripted for Indy to have a big mano-a-mano with the swordsman, and after struggling through a couple of takes, Harrison Ford pretended to pull out his gun and shoot the swordsman. Spielberg liked it so much, they reshot the scene that way.

Edit: weezie beat me to both Bond and Ahnuld...thank goodness we came up with different lines!

I wanted to respond to this without looking at any of the other responses to make sure I gave unbiased answers.

The first three that come to mind, for me, are:

1. Say hello to my little friend

2. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

3. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I always thought it was "What we have here is failure to communicate".
    Actually, if we're picking nits, it's "What we got here is....failure to communcate" (and yes, I left out the "i" in communicate)

My dad came up with:

1. Win one for the Gipper.
    2. Now there's another fine mess you've gotten me into.
    3. I'm getting too old for this s...
    4. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
    5. Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.
    6. Come up and see me sometime.
    7. Hi Ho Silver, away!
    Last edited by bjornolf; 11-21-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Bond. James Bond.

Play it [again] Sam.

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

I see dead people.

There's no crying in baseball!

About that failure

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    You talkin' to me?
    You talkin' to me?...

and

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
    DEFINITELY in the running!!

Failure

k

And, in summary

This is a nice but brief collection of many memorable quotes:

Quotes

Whereas this is similar, and gives you more of the scene from each movie:

Scenes

Yes, it is longer (>10 minutes) but well worth the time! (The time frame for the included movies is also broad enough to include some of the classics.)

k

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    "You can't handle the truth!"
    Can't believe it took to page 2 to get to this.

I know people have some of the Bond usuals but my favorite would be

"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die"

Also a fan of "Show me the money" over "You had me at hello"

Is it also sad that almost all quotes are pre-2000, leading me to believe the movies of the last 12 years haven't been remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post

Is it also sad that almost all quotes are pre-2000, leading me to believe the movies of the last 12 years haven't been remarkable.
    The three that popped into my head right away (mine are kind of all over the place):

"Have you had enough, or are you thirsty for more?" I think ranks right up there at Christmas time.

"If you miss this shot, you're not just letting me down, you're letting your whole team down to."

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

I would say its more likely that they just arn't classics yet. Or the people who watched em are younger and will grow up saying them and that will make them popular.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I would say its more likely that they just arn't classics yet. Or the people who watched em are younger and will grow up saying them and that will make them popular.
    I'm sure this is part of it but I do think it speaks to our society a bit. IMDB released a list of their highest rated quotes from 2000-2009 here: http://www.imdb.com/list/aS4ZSMt5jtk/

I know it is IMDB and not AFI but I often find my tastes closer to IMDB's top movies than AFI's so I think it is a quality source.

That said, there are a few good quotes from the decade with ones such as "Are you not entertained" and many from the Batman series like "Why so serious", "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "So we hunt him because he can take it..." are all great quotes but Gladiator and Batman account for many of the actual serious ones.

But you look at the list and while I enjoyed movies like Old School and Anchorman and am part of the younger generation, I'm not sure I'm willing to put "We're going streaking" or "I love lamp" in the same ballpark as "The truth, you can't handle the truth."

I'm sure this is part of it but I do think it speaks to our society a bit. IMDB released a list of their highest rated quotes from 2000-2009 here: http://www.imdb.com/list/aS4ZSMt5jtk/

I know it is IMDB and not AFI but I often find my tastes closer to IMDB's top movies than AFI's so I think it is a quality source.

That said, there are a few good quotes from the decade with ones such as "Are you not entertained" and many from the Batman series like "Why so serious", "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." "So we hunt him because he can take it..." are all great quotes but Gladiator and Batman account for many of the actual serious ones.

But you look at the list and while I enjoyed movies like Old School and Anchorman and am part of the younger generation, I'm not sure I'm willing to put "We're going streaking" or "I love lamp" in the same ballpark as "The truth, you can't handle the truth."
    300 has some famous ones and of course Cast Away has "Wilsssoonn".

Yes, but "I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch" is right up there.