Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ya'll know that AFI did this in 2005, right?

While it is not my personal favorite, their choice for the #1 line of all time is hard to argue with: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

The rest of the top ten:

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
    2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
    3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
    4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
    5. "Here's looking at you, kid."
    6. "Go ahead, make my day."
    7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
    8. "May the Force be with you."
    9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    10. "You talkin' to me?"

I probably would have put "Here's looking at you, kid" in the #2 spot. "May the Force be with you" belongs in the top 5, for sure.

Also worth noting, if we are talking about famous lines is this one: "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" which is probably the most mis-quoted line of all time as everyone seems to think it is "Play it again, Sam."

-Jason "fun discussions -- but colored so much by our own personal taste" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

While it is not my personal favorite, their choice for the #1 line of all time is hard to argue with: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

The rest of the top ten:

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."
    10. "You talkin' to me?"

I probably would have put "Here's looking at you, kid" in the #2 spot. "May the Force be with you" belongs in the top 5, for sure.

Also worth noting, if we are talking about famous lines is this one: "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" which is probably the most mis-quoted line of all time as everyone seems to think it is "Play it again, Sam."

I still don't see how "there's no place like home" isn't number one. Just for pure famous recognition. People use it in every day speech. People have used it IN speeches. It's been quoted in TV shows, ads (tv, radio, and print) and songs. I know more than one soldier, dating back to WWII, has used it as a mantra to get through the tough times overseas. I've seen it on bumper stickers, mugs, t-shirts, posters, embroidered on throw pillows and blankets... It has so entered our lexicon and culture... Maybe it's SO used that people don't even associate it with Wizard of Oz anymore, sort of like it's too famous and has thus lost its association (like coke for all soda, kleenex, xerox, etc...)?

The rest of the top ten:

10. "You talkin' to me?"

And that quote/sequence/exchange from Casablanca actually starts with "Play it once, Sam." (If my hearing is correct from the first scene of a montage that Kimist linked earlier in the thread.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Is it also sad that almost all quotes are pre-2000, leading me to believe the movies of the last 12 years haven't been remarkable.
    Perhaps this is because much of the recent lexicon is dominated by LOL, IDK, JK, ROFL, etc. ?

Not as famous, but I use them a lot...

The one I use a lot at work, "Plan? Even Custer had a plan..." Stripes. And another,
    "This was not in the brochure" City Slickers. Not famous lines, but ones I use a lot a work...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Perhaps this is because much of the recent lexicon is dominated by LOL, IDK, JK, ROFL, etc. ?
    SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    How about "May the Force be with you"?
    And, of course, "May the Schwartz be with you"

I hear "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" and the diner scene from When Harry Met Sally a lot ("I'll have what she's having") referenced quite often.

Why do you always have to ruin our fun with your facts, Jason?

Most quoted movies at the office:

Animal House
    Unforgiven
    Caddyshack
    Stripes
    Talladega Nights

And something about bringing a knife to a gun fight . . . .

Followed closely by "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

How about these?

From Dr. Strangelove, as Major "King" Kong prepares to ride a nuclear weapon out of the bomb bay of the B-52: "Stay on the bomb run, boys! I'm gonna get them doors open if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek."

And from Blazing Saddles, in honor of the late Alex Karras: "Mongo only pawn... in game of life." This is just before knocking a horse out cold.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Most quoted movies at the office:

Animal House
    Unforgiven
    Caddyshack
    Stripes
    Talladega Nights

And something about bringing a knife to a gun fight . . . .
    That's a great quote from Sean Connery in Untouchables, "Only a [derogatory term for Italian] would bring a knife to a gunfight!" Aerosmith quoted it in a song too "You brought a knife right to a gunfight and you're shouting that I'm dead, my old friends Smith and Wesson think you're in over your head."

Maybe not often quoted, but a couple of my favorites:

I'd like to make her look a little more attractive, how far can you pull back?
    How do you feel about Cleveland?

Jim: I'd better sit up.
    Bart: Need any help?
    Jim: Oh... all I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Jim: I'd better sit up.
    Bart: Need any help?
    Jim: Oh... all I can get.
    "Then we're awake . . . But we're very confused."

We also have a fair amount of "give the Governor a harrumph" utterances as well. Mel Brooks gives good quote.

As long as we're on a Blazing Saddles run:

"Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there."

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Caddyshack and Airplane are gold mines.

I'll go with "it's in the hole!", and "Surely you can't be serious" respectively.

Famous? Well, not like "Franklly my dear, I don't give a Damn", but a lot more fun.
    "and don't call me Shirley."

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Followed closely by "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty!" and "We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
    Is it really a misquote though if the movie is the source of the misquote? "We don't need no stinkin badges" is probably more popular from Blazing Saddles so perhaps this is their own interpretation of it, but I like their version better anyways.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Btw, anyone know how to highlight to reveal white words on an ipad? Doesn't seem to work for me.
    If you reply, the excerpt will be readable in the text box. You also might be able to hold down where the text is and use the "select all" option to highlight it. (It might take a couple of attempts to happen on the correct location of the hidden text.)

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    As long as we're on a Blazing Saddles run:

"Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there."
    A subtle one (by today's standards):

(as the Gov has trouble returning the pen to its holder) "Think of your secretary" (followed by immediate and vigorous success).

For some reason this reminds me of Andre Braugher's final words in Duets: 'And they say our society has lost it's finesse'