Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

"That'll be the day." The Duke in John Ford's "The Searchers" Buddy Holley took it and ran with it.

And for all you Hobbit fans, my favorite,

"For Frodo..."

A few random thoughts

"There are no 10's"

"Freedom!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
    "Tis but a scratch"

"These go to eleven"

Tombstone has about a hundred

"Say when"

"Ill be your huckleberry"

"I stand corrected, your an oak"

"I got two guns. One for each of ya"

"Whhhyyyy Johnny Tyler! Where ya think your going with that shotgun?"

"So run, you cur, RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's coming. You tell 'em I'M coming. And hell's coming with me, you hear? HELL'S COMING WITH ME!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Tombstone has about a hundred

"Ill be your huckleberry"
    I thought it was "I'm your huckleberry."

Raising Arizona:

"You're young, you've got your health . . . why do you need a job?"

Rocky (can't remember which one):

"Hit the one in the middle"

"You got any balloons with funny shapes?"

"No, not unless you find round funny."

----------

"We released ourselves on our own recognizance. We did not feel that the institution had anything further to offer us."

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    You could have a whole thread on favorite Connery quotes. Heck, you could have a whole thread on favorite Bond Connery quotes, or heck, Highlander Connery quotes.
    Was this one Connery or Moore?
    "I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked!"
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Was this one Connery or Moore?
    "I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked!"
    Live and Let Die... Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I thought it was "I'm your huckleberry."
    It was I just didn't get back in time to edit it.

Not surprising that my first three were mentioned quickly:

Rhett Butler's famous I don't give a damn
    Dorothy's We're not in Kansas and
    Rosebud.

Bond's line wasn't iconic it was his trademark. Nothing really momentous about the line. You know it's coming at some point in the film, along with "Shaken, not stirred" but iconic lines create and define unforgettable film moments.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me...aren't you?

Sophisticated sexuality thy names are Anne Bancroft and Lauren Bacall.

"There was this time at band camp . . . ."

Mrs. Robinson made me think of Stiffler's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

The moment when she told Jim her flute story from band camp honestly made me choke on my soda. Despite being ruined by every American Pie that followed, that was a genuinely funny movie with some laugh out loud moments. The band camp line being the one that caught me most off-guard.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    The moment when she told Jim her flute story from band camp honestly made me choke on my soda. Despite being ruined by every American Pie that followed, that was a genuinely funny movie with some laugh out loud moments. The band camp line being the one that caught me most off-guard.
    While not advocating for the movie, I will note that "MIL*" became part of the lexicon.

Ironic

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

since the iconic scene with her and Finch occurred to that selfsame song. :-)

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
    Dirty Harry (1971).

Page for Dirty Harry Quotes

trivia, and need help with mystery

I refer to a few of my own favorites, though these are reasonably famous to lots of buffs. Numbers 1 and 2 below are more properly labeled dialogue, but number 3 below is definitely about a single line.

1. From To Have and Have Not, 1944, Bogie and Bacall.

As she observes Steve [Bogart] carrying a fainted Dolores Moran into a room, a faux-jealous Slim [Bacall] cracks, “Whaddya doing, trying to guess her weight?” Bogie’s response was pretty good, too: “She’s heftier than she looks.”

More famous from that film is this sizzler from Slim/Bacall: "You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

2. I'll add to the prior refs to Dr. Strangelove.

Pres. Merkin Muffley [Peter Sellers], referring to Gen. Ripper [Sterling Hayden]: "There's nothing to figure out, General Turgidson. This man is obviously a psychotic." To which Gen. Turgidson [George C. Scott] replies: "Well, I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in."

And a bit of trivia re Slim Pickens's famous survival kit rundown. First the quote, the mere words of which, unfortunately, can't do justice to Major Kong's emphasis on each number-word.

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one .45 caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days concentrated emergency raisons; one drug issue containing: antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair a nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

The trivia is that, when viewing the scene, if you look real closely, you'll see that in the punch line Kong/Pickens's lips don't say "Vegas." Rather, he actually said "Dallas" [though a few claim it was "Big D" - looks like "Dallas" to me]. Point is, between the filming and release of Dr. Strangelove, JFK had been assassinated in Dallas. References to a good time in Dallas - no go.

3. Finally, a mystery, to me at least, and one that I'd love to have help solving. The mystery concerns a mystery, or I guess a psychological thriller, The Conversation, 1974, Gene Hackman. [Warning: plot-spoiler ahead, so if you've never seen this film, and might, then stop reading now.] I'm near-obsessed [appropriate, given the film...] with what I think is surely the key line in the film. It's uttered by Mark [Frederic Forrest] to Ann [Cindy Williams], and of course recorded by Harry Caul [Hackman]: "He'd kill us if he got the chance."

Now maybe everyone but me "gets it," i.e., gets the way this line is used in the film. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure the line is altered the last time we hear it, from the earlier times we and - not incidentally, to put it mildly - Harry hear it. All through the film, we and Harry understand the line uttered by Mark to be: "He'd kill us if he got the chance." Meaning, to us and to Harry, someone is going to kill them.

But as we and Harry find out, it is they who do, or commission, the killing, and the denouement drives Harry nuts.

I'm obsessed with whether the director has been honest or dishonest with the audience. I'm pretty sure that when Harry, still fairly early in the film, using all his skills, gets a "reliable" version of the conversation, the line we get to hear is as I stated above: "He'd kill us if he got the chance." But at the end, after Harry discovers that the 2 lovers have not been murdered, he and we hear the line with a different word emphasized: "He'd kill us if he got the chance."

So, questions: (a) Am I correct that the line we the audience hear at the end of the film is different - subtly so, to be sure, but crucially so - from what we heard earlier in the film? And (b) if yes, is this a matter of (c) dishonesty by the director, or (d) just a great technique to demonstrate that Harry the perfectionist messed up?

Those many of you who have seen and been fascinated with this film will recall Harry's mental/psychological state at the end of the film. Please save me from this fate.

Pulp Fiction, the line by Mr. Wolff, "now boys, let's not start . . . ." Pretty nasty, but was delivered spot on and fit perfectly.

Arnold

I saw I'll be back earlier. One poster mentioned that you could do a whole thread on Connery. If so, you could certainly do a whole thread on Arnold:

Get to the chopper

You are one ugly mutha------

Stick around

See you at the party, Richter

You're a funny man, Sully, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.

I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now, I'm very hungry.

Let off some steam!

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

It's not a tumor!

Hasta la vista, baby.

And those are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

From the original post, my immediate top three were
    "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse"
    "You lookin' at me?"
    "No, I am your father"
    I liked the top 10 that Jason posted, which was very classic, but I would have to think "I'll be back" would have to be in a more modern top 10.