Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Congratulating myself for helping Duke to get back in the game by walking the dog
    I think the dog wants to go for another walk. Defense still keeping the offense on the field. But they just can't minimize the damage on these big plays and can't get over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I think the dog wants to go for another walk. Defense still keeping the offense on the field. But they just can't minimize the damage on these big plays and can't get over the hump.
    At least we are having this sort of discussion about getting over the proverbial hump against legitimate fellow ACC teams, rather than the bottom feeders like in years past...
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    At least we are having this sort of discussion about getting over the proverbial hump against legitimate fellow ACC teams, rather than the bottom feeders like in years past...
    yep

and we played very competitively these past two weeks, since the offense can put up points...we're not getting blown out by these guys
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    No doubt it is growth but I think we are entering that stage where it comes down to recruiting. Hopefully, they have a month to implement some tricks into the defense so that we don't have to score 50 to win at the bowl.

But you look at a "bad" Miami team who will be returning 10 starters on defense and had 5 top 150 recruits and 5 more top 300 recruits coming in. The defense is maddening to watch and even if our recruits pan out and their recruits aren't great, the difference between a guy who can run a 4.4 40 and a 4.5 40 is just too much to compensate for.

But this team hasn't given up and are showing the heart that Duke fans are used to knowing. That said, if they somehow recover an onside, do they go for 2?

Connette got rolled up on and hopefully he is healthy to go in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But this team hasn't given up and are showing the heart that Duke fans are used to knowing. That said, if they somehow recover an onside, do they go for 2?

Connette got rolled up on and hopefully he is healthy to go in a month.
    wow...we pushed them to the limit there...that onside kick almost bounced our way....

if we hadn't had our secondary all end up injured this year, I think we would have had an even better shot at these types of games.

congratulations on a great regular season...on to the bowl!
    April 1

Lots of positives today on offense. We don't seem to be able to get stops, though. Looking forward to the bowl game. Thanks to the team for bringing us six victories.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Congratulating myself for helping Duke to get back in the game by walking the dog
    And I was attributing it to me being able to watch the second half.

Unhappy

Great effort by the offense today. Really impressive surge late.

But WHAT do we need to do to fix that Defense??? Is it scheme? Technique? Staying healthy (but other teams have injuries too)? Or, as I suspect, some of those, but lots of just recruiting and speed??? Any reason to believe that the current recruiting efforts are addressing these needs?

No doubt these kids are trying really hard, but this year the D just didn't seem to have it in the second half of the year... Arrgh!

Really looking forward to a great bowl! :D

Tough way to close the season. I don't think we've had a lead since the UNC game, which is pretty disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Tough way to close the season. I don't think we've had a lead since the UNC game, which is pretty disheartening.
    The last well played game was against Carolina.

Even a win today wouldn't keep me from feeling sad to see those seniors finish their careers at Duke. What a great group they've been... collectively and individually!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    As Gordon Lightfoot might have said, we don't do well when "the gales of November" come around.

Duke hoops --- can't lose in November; football -- can't seem to get a win.
    Now at least, we get a chance to play football in December.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Great effort by the offense today. Really impressive surge late.

But WHAT do we need to do to fix that Defense??? Is it scheme? Technique? Staying healthy (but other teams have injuries too)? Or, as I suspect, some of those, but lots of just recruiting and speed??? Any reason to believe that the current recruiting efforts are addressing these needs?

No doubt these kids are trying really hard, but this year the D just didn't seem to have it in the second half of the year... Arrgh!

Really looking forward to a great bowl!
    I'll settle for some players that can make a tackle. The last two games showed what a poor tackling team we have. Way too many missed tackles that led to big plays. First down defense Saturday was terrible. Thank God for our offense keeping us in the last game. Let's hope we can recruit some up front guys that can get into the backfield and create some havoc. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'll settle for some players that can make a tackle. The last two games showed what a poor tackling team we have. Way too many missed tackles that led to big plays. First down defense Saturday was terrible. Thank God for our offense keeping us in the last game. Let's hope we can recruit some up front guys that can get into the backfield and create some havoc. GoDuke!
    I am having trouble understanding what the main culprit is here. Lack of fundamentals? Is it a strength issue? A mental issue of just making the play? We are usually in position to stop the play, but the missed tackle gives the opponent another 5 to 15 yards.

I see the problem (and agree with jv001 on the problem although not sure it is a recruiting issue) -- just too untrained to know the core reason that needs to be addressed. Wisdom appreciated from all. Overall I like the 4-2-5 and think it works for a team built on speed, not size.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 11-25-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    having safeties who aren't all injured will help the cause greatly...I think that was the single thing that hurt us the most this season...meant we had to dedicate 5 backs all the time with our 4 2 5 set.

if we can get some of those guys back, and give the underclassmen some time to learn (didn't we burn a couple redshirts at safety) will make a huge difference all around on the defense.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am having trouble understanding what the main culprit is here. Lack of fundamentals? Is it a strength issue? A mental issue of just making the play? We are usually in position to stop the play, but the missed tackle given the opponent another 5 to 15 yards.

I see the problem (and agree with jv001 on the problem although not sure it is a recruiting issue) -- just too untrained to know the core reason that needs to be addressed. Wisdom appreciated from all. Overall I like the 4-2-5 and think it works for a team built on speed, not size.
    In some instances it looked like a lack of aggessiveness. Miami was putting some vicious hits on our ball carriers and showing the good fundamentals. But when you looked at our guys it was different as night and day. I liken it to a basketball player short arming a free throw which is mental. I know we have good players that have the ability to make good solid hits but they're not getting the job done. Like you OPK, I don't know what the problem is, but I sure wish we could get it turned around. GoDuke!

The last time a Duke team surrendered 40 or more points 6 times in a season was in the Carl Franks era. As bad as we were under Ted Roof, we always had a better defense (I would suggest with lesser athletes) than we do now. Surrendering 198 points in the last four games is inexcusable, no matter how many injuries you have. The fact is that our defense could not make stops. JMOO, I think the issue is coaching. With lesser athletes (or at least with Ted Roof's and Carl Franks' athletes), Mark McIntyre did a better job of keeping us in the game. Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The last time a Duke team surrendered 40 or more points 6 times in a season was in the Carl Franks era. As bad as we were under Ted Roof, we always had a better defense (I would suggest with lesser athletes) than we do now. Surrendering 198 points in the last four games is inexcusable, no matter how many injuries you have. The fact is that our defense could not make stops. JMOO, I think the issue is coaching. With lesser athletes (or at least with Ted Roof's and Carl Franks' athletes), Mark McIntyre did a better job of keeping us in the game. Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.
    I could be wrong, but I think this is JK's second year.

Under Jim Knowles the defense has regressed every year. Given what we believe about our recruiting, and in the 5th year of Cut's tenure (when all the players are his), I think the issue is on the sidelines. It must be addressed if we are to ever be more than a mediocre team.
    I believe this is a bit of an overstatement taking into consideration the amount of injured players this season. There is no doubt the defense must improve and improve substantially, but it is way premature to talk about firing assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think this is JK's second year.
    You are correct. Jim Knowles was the Safeties Coach in 2010 and moved up to Defensive Coordinator in 2011. So it is his third year on the staff but only his second year as Defensive Coordinator.
    Bob Green

How soon we forget! Mike McIntyre was a very good Defensive Co-originator coaching some of Ted Roof's recruits before he left for San Jose State. Marion Hobby followed him and there was lots of wailing until he left to go to Clemson.