Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln review

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Well, you did say the film is historically accurate, right? The Republicans were the good guys here.

I'm continually amazed by how many British and Irish actors pull off convincing American accents. Do any American actors do the same in the UK?

Damian Lewis (and half the rest of the cast of Band of Brothers) in Homeland
    Idris Elba in the Wire
    Dominic West (Jimmy McNulty), also in the Wire (though I thought his accent was pretty poor in the first season)
    Jason O'Mara in Life on Mars
    Johnny Lee Miller (played an American in Dexter, and had so convincing of an accent in Trainspotting many people think he's Scottish)
    Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes in Walking Dead). Incidentally, the show has a few other brits too: David Morrissey (the Governor) and Lauran Cohan (Maggie), though wiki tells me she was born in Philly and moved to England as a young teen. The interview I saw with her, she definitely had an English accent.
    Of course Hugh Laurie as House.
    Not to hijack the thread but you left off Ian McShane who played Al Swearengen in Deadwood who, in my humble opinion, is the greatest television character of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but you left off Ian McShane who played Al Swearengen in Deadwood who, in my humble opinion, is the greatest television character of all time.
    I don't think there can be found one script line from Swearengen that is suitable for printing here.

That language was all authentic styling, though. It provided a display of self-confidence defense to others.

Absolutely blown out of the water by the Lincoln movie, but I should preface that by saying Abe was my first love. I read every biography on Lincoln in my public library by the time I was 10. The movie's accuracy is amazing and people should watch the movie for the insults alone. They are so creative and witty.
    I think Thaddeus Stevens' cane should get an Academy Award... okay, I may be overstating things, but it was a great movie about one of the most important times in American history. If they had tried to cover all of Abe's life or even just all of the war, it would have been a small footnote. The declaration that all men are created equal finally is fact because of this amendment. It deserves its own amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Absolutely blown out of the water by the Lincoln movie, but I should preface that by saying Abe was my first love. I read every biography on Lincoln in my public library by the time I was 10. The movie's accuracy is amazing and people should watch the movie for the insults alone. They are so creative and witty.
    I think Thaddeus Stevens' cane should get an Academy Award... okay, I may be overstating things, but it was a great movie about one of the most important times in American history. If they had tried to cover all of Abe's life or even just all of the war, it would have been a small footnote. The declaration that all men are created equal finally is fact because of this amendment. It deserves its own amendment.
    Spoiler alert: don't you mean "equal before the law"?

I think the Petersburg crater does make an appearance.

And the Stevens twist was brilliantly presented.

This is a movie that will endure. Loved it!

Oh, and they shouldn't even bother nominating anyone else for best actor.

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    I think Thaddeus Stevens' cane should get an Academy Award...
    I often thought Hugh Laurie's cane should have gotten an Emmy or two.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

It deserves its own amendment.
    Just re-read my own post and realized I messed up on my wording. I meant to say, "It deserves its own movie."

Finally got around to seeing it and agree

This is an excellent movie.

I did think I was going to hate it or fall asleep in the first 10 minutes but once it really really got started, wow.

SoCal

Due to the confluence of the movie Lincoln with the anniversary of the Civil War as well as the annual Robert Wilson lecture at the Duke law school, I decided to link Professor Paul Finkelman's speech, given about two weeks ago and posted to the Duke On Demand website. Finkelman is the visiting John Hope Franklin Professor of Legal History.

His speech is less than an hour and if you are interested only in the speech (as I recommend skipping the introductions), go to about 8:30 and listen from there. Do not omit the Q&A at the end.

Finkelman's explanation of what Lincoln needed to do before issuing the Emancipation Proclamation is remarkably clear as is his description of the events which led him to safely issue it. In the process, Finkelman touches upon why the Proclamation is worded as it is (a bill of lading), how the escaping slaves became considered contraband and how he dealt with premature efforts by Fremont and Hunter. He also points out the effect of the geographic problems facing the Union (ensuring that loyal slave states didn't also secede) and why the writ of habeas corpus had to be suspended. (The Confederacy didn't have free speech, so it suppressed dissent.)

Anyway, it's a terrific lecture. Informative and entertaining. If you find Lincoln fascinating, this lecture is a must. It certainly colors the scenery up to the point where the movie begins.

http://ondemand.duke.edu/video/34399...rve-his-reputa