Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Daly

John Daly

Sally Jenkins has a terrific (and funny) column on John Daly and his first round in the PGA. I would like to see JD hold it together during this tournament but I suspect that the odds are too great. Like others, I plan to watch his round on the tube this afternoon (starts at 3:05pm I believe).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...080902216.html

gw67

I watched yesterday...I love Daly...and would really like to see him finish well. He's like the "anti-Tiger" and much closer to the everyday golfer than anyone else on the tour (except for the driving 350+ yards)
    I don't think he can hold up for three more days in the heat...but I'll be pulling for him

He has started his 2nd round bogey-bogey... but he is fun to watch. He tried to drive the par-4 10th which has a nasty dogleg and features a green surrounded by trees. No one in their right mind would try to drive that hole.

-Jason "Tiger birdied #1-- I expect him to get to about 1 or maybe 2 under today... steady and consistent" Evans

Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "Tiger birdied #1-- I expect him to get to about 1 or maybe 2 under today... steady and consistent" Evans
    Tiger: 63?!?!?!?!?!

Imagine had he not lipped out of the last hole. What an amazing round!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Tiger: 63?!?!?!?!?!

Imagine had he not lipped out of the last hole. What an amazing round!
    Yeah, I cannot believe that putt did not fall. It missed by a blade of grass.

In fairness, Tiger drained a 30-footer for par earlier in his round on a putt that also circled the cup before falling so he was 1-for-2 on round-the-cup-putts. Seems fair

What a stunningly good round... wow!

-Jason "I wonder if anyone will be within 4 strokes of him on Sunday" Evans

The tournament's over.

Thumbs up Tiger

Yeah, I cannot believe that putt did not fall. It missed by a blade of grass.

In fairness, Tiger drained a 30-footer for par earlier in his round on a putt that also circled the cup before falling so he was 1-for-2 on round-the-cup-putts. Seems fair

What a stunningly good round... wow!

-Jason "I wonder if anyone will be within 4 strokes of him on Sunday" Evans
    I believe the putt you are referring to was for birdie (on 15).

Tiger is the best there has ever been. He's the best putter in history. When he makes all the putts, he blows the field away. When he misses the putts, he's in contention. He is simply amazing.

Daly is certainly fun to watch. It is also fun to listen to the commentators make fun of him. Fortunately, Daly doesn't care what people say about him.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

PGA much fun

I love Tiger! I love Tiger! I love Tiger! -- not only because he's proven to be so magnificent both physically and mentally, but because I've followed him throughout his amateur career as well. He's a class act in all ways -- which is not something one can say for a lot of supposed "athlete role models." (Although Elton and Shane are proving their worth in that department -- as have Nash and D. Fisher and many others). GO TIGER! P.S. Sergio needs an attitude adjustment to ever win a Major; Phil MIckelson...well, there's something about this guy that doesn't set well with me; VJ-- I used to like him some, until the Annika thing where he was a jerk, ...there are many players for whom I root and like, but Tiger is the MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I love Tiger! I love Tiger! I love Tiger! -- not only because he's proven to be so magnificent both physically and mentally, but because I've followed him throughout his amateur career as well. He's a class act in all ways -- which is not something one can say for a lot of supposed "athlete role models." (Although Elton and Shane are proving their worth in that department -- as have Nash and D. Fisher and many others). GO TIGER! P.S. Sergio needs an attitude adjustment to ever win a Major; Phil MIckelson...well, there's something about this guy that doesn't set well with me; VJ-- I used to like him some, until the Annika thing where he was a jerk, ...there are many players for whom I root and like, but Tiger is the MAN.
    IMO you are dead on. Sergio is not "tough or smart" enough and Phil is "brain dead". Els is "soft" and VJ is a "sanctimonious jerk". Tiger is the man, the only man. He is the best that ever is or was.

If you ask me I will tell you what I really think.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Tiger is the man, the only man. He is the best that ever is or was.
    Oh, I dunno. I'd still like to see how he would do against the Jack Nicklaus of the 1970s. In the 48 Majors played from 1970-1982, Jack finished in the top 10 in 41 of them. That's absurd. He won 10 times and was second 9 times.

The game has changed, the equipment has changed, the courses have changed so there is no way we can really match these two up but I think a solid case can be made that Jack Nicklaus in his mid-30s was every bit the player that Tiger Woods is today.

I think Tiger needs a few more years at this level to reach Jack's decade of dominance.

--Jason "and you won't find a bigger Tiger fan than me" Evans

Oh, I dunno. I'd still like to see how he would do against the Jack Nicklaus of the 1970s. In the 48 Majors played from 1970-1982, Jack finished in the top 10 in 41 of them. That's absurd. He won 10 times and was second 9 times.

The game has changed, the equipment has changed, the courses have changed so there is no way we can really match these two up but I think a solid case can be made that Jack Nicklaus in his mid-30s was every bit the player that Tiger Woods is today.

I think Tiger needs a few more years at this level to reach Jack's decade of dominance.

--Jason "and you won't find a bigger Tiger fan than me" Evans
    I don't necessarily disagree. Tiger has yet to reach his mid-30s. You are comparing Jack, at what is usually considered to be the prime years of a players career with Tiger at the period that is within the "learning curve" of a career. At this moment Tiger is superior to Jack in every phase of the game at a comparable point in their careers.

The question you raise, IMO, is whether Tiger can continue to dominate into his 40's and my bet is: YES. (I am also a huge Jack fan, though I disliked his displacing Arnie in the early 60's...)

Speaking of Sergio...

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    P.S. Sergio needs an attitude adjustment to ever win a Major;
    He just DQ'd today for signing an incorrect scorecard (error for his 17th hole score).
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Jack vs. Tiger

Oh, I dunno. I'd still like to see how he would do against the Jack Nicklaus of the 1970s.
    Both are great strikers of the ball and hit the ball a long way. Both are great putters (and Tiger is better than Jack). But Tiger wins out with his short game, which definitely was Jack's biggest weakness.

I'm big fans of both, and Arnie too. I met Arnie in 1966 at Doral Country Club in Miami, the week before the tournament there (I was 11 and we (my family) were staying there for "February" vacation). I got his autograph on a dollar bill. I still have it somewhere.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    He just DQ'd today for signing an incorrect scorecard (error for his 17th hole score).
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Can someone explain to me why players need to keep scorecards at all in a major tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Can someone explain to me why players need to keep scorecards at all in a major tournament?
    They don't have to keep one, but they have to sign one at the end of the round to turn in their official score. Most players keep their own to insure no mistake is made resulting in a DQ. Sergio must have had a problem translating from English to Spanish today...

If you sign for a score that is lower than your actual score, you are DQ'd. If you sign for a score that is higher than you really had, you are not DQ'd and you have to keep that score as the official score.

9F 9F 9F

Was it DeVincenzo...

who lost the US Open back in the 60's due to incorrect card?

I think the reason also goes back to player etiquette. Such as divot replacement, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    They don't have to keep one, but they have to sign one at the end of the round to turn in their official score. Most players keep their own to insure no mistake is made resulting in a DQ. Sergio must have had a problem translating from English to Spanish today...

If you sign for a score that is lower than your actual score, you are DQ'd. If you sign for a score that is higher than you really had, you are not DQ'd and you have to keep that score as the official score.
    If I am not mistaken, that was the hole where Sergio missed a 1&1/2 footer for his fourth shot, then made a 1&1/2 footer for 5. His playing partner, Boo Weekley, wrote down 4 (it DID look like an easy shot). Sergio signed it, but didn't check it. He's DQ'd.

Here's the story:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/pgach...ory?id=2969945

Oy vei!
    Lavabe

Wink

Every time I see Sergio's face, my mind envisions Lefty with his two huge paws wrapped around his neck.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    who lost the US Open back in the 60's due to incorrect card?

I think the reason also goes back to player etiquette. Such as divot replacement, et al.
    You may be thinking of Roberto DeVicenzo from Brazil at the Masters. It was at the '68 Masters. He signed an incorrect scorecard when tied for the lead with Bob Golby. He was DQ'd and there was no playoff. He lost.

Woody Austin sure has a beautiful swing for somebody wearing such an ugly colored cap.