Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Saw Mike Dunleavy play a couple of times against the Celtics this week. Could
    see why he never became a star in the NBA; too slow to play D at three, not
    strong enough to play D at 4. Pierce scored on him repeatedly; when he played
    up, he drove around him, when played off, he shot over him. Oh well; at least
    the C's actually beat a decent (not great) team.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Saw Mike Dunleavy play a couple of times against the Celtics this week. Could
    see why he never became a star in the NBA; too slow to play D at three, not
    strong enough to play D at 4. Pierce scored on him repeatedly; when he played
    up, he drove around him, when played off, he shot over him. Oh well; at least
    the C's actually beat a decent (not great) team.
    You may be right, but Dunleavy is in his 11th year as a solid player and Pierce can score on LeBron, so I don't think that's an indictment of Dunleavy's D.

Don't see much mention of it, but Kyle Singler is really making the most of his playing time with the Pistons. Shooting well, making sound decisions...

Good to see!

Kyle earned a starting spot today, played 40 minutes and scored 16, and the Pistons got their first win. That has to bode well for him. I haven't had the chance to watch him play with them yet, but it sounds like he's doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Kyle earned a starting spot today, played 40 minutes and scored 16, and the Pistons got their first win. That has to bode well for him. I haven't had the chance to watch him play with them yet, but it sounds like he's doing great.
    That year in Europe was absolutely the perfect thing for him. Kyle has always had an all-around floor game, but his shooting until recently wasn't quite good enough. Now, with a year over there to work on it (where a lot of guys shoot lights out) he has gotten it up to the level of the rest of his game. Much better than sitting on the bench with the Pistons last year or bouncing around the D-league. Now, looks like he's on his way to the NBA career we thought he would have a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Here's an excellent write up of the game with a focus on Kyle:
    http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...ed_by_kyl.html

For whatever reason, it amuses me that Corey Maggette is one of the team sages. When a kid leaves our program early, especially after one year, it's hard not to think of him always being a freshman.

Also, it looks like Kyle picked up some new nicknames. Sounds like he's team really appreciates him.

Zach Lowe on Miami's defense with some great praise of Battier.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...lem-on-defense

Lowe is really a gifted NBA writer. He is always teaching the deeper X&O game to his readers.

Kyle ballin':

Beautiful:

What Kyrie does at the 1:52 mark of that video should be illegal. Straight-up disrespectful. Watch the eyes of Childress after Kyrie dishes the ball -- he has absolutely no idea where that orange round thing went.

JJ continues to impress with an 18 point, 7 assist, and 4 rebound game on Tuesday. He is now averaging 31.7 MPG, 14.7 PPG, 5.6 APG, and 2.4 RPG while shooting over 48% from the floor through 7 games. He has really adapted his game to the NBA and worked his butt off to make an impact. He will always be my favorite Dukie, but the way he has worked and the effort he has put in during his time in the NBA makes me appreciate him even more.

bucket man and uncle drew...loving it...

I love seeing jj command respect...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I went to the Nuggets-Heat game yesterday, and Shane Battier was doing all the Shane Battier things you might expect. The Heat had a comfortable lead going into the fourth, and Spoelstra took out most of the starters, allowing the Nuggets to come back. Once they were within 4 or 5, the starters came back, and Shane proceeded to make a bunch of threes and take a brilliant fast-break charge on Ty Lawson (side note: I enjoy watching Ty Lawson much more when he's slicing to the hole in arenas not called Cameron) that had the Nuggets fans irate. It was evident that Battier was also directing traffic on defense a lot. The Heat are really a sight to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I went to the Nuggets-Heat game yesterday, and Shane Battier was doing all the Shane Battier things you might expect. The Heat had a comfortable lead going into the fourth, and Spoelstra took out most of the starters, allowing the Nuggets to come back. Once they were within 4 or 5, the starters came back, and Shane proceeded to make a bunch of threes and take a brilliant fast-break charge on Ty Lawson (side note: I enjoy watching Ty Lawson much more when he's slicing to the hole in arenas not called Cameron) that had the Nuggets fans irate. It was evident that Battier was also directing traffic on defense a lot. The Heat are really a sight to behold.
    Incredible game by Shane! I'm jealous that you got to see it in person. He finished with 18 points on 6-7 shooting, 3 boards, 2 assists, 2 blocks, and a steal. He and LeBron carried the Heat.

you think lebron has earned shane's cell number yet? i'm guessing he's pretty close...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Not sure if anyone caught the end of the Pistons-Magic game tonight, but it was like a Duke fan's dream - starting NBA SGs JJ Redick and Kyle Singler literally going back and forth to decide an NBA game. The final minute:

0:47 - Singler rips Redick, gets fouled on fast break layup, hits 2 FT for 102-101 lead
    0:42 - Redick hits a three in Singler's face (104-102)
    0:17 - Detroit misses, Redick handles ball whole possession, runs pick and roll against Singler and passes to Davis, who scores. (106-102
    0:09 - Singler scores at rim (106-104)
    0:07 - Redick fouled, hits both FTs to seal game (108-104)

Redick finished with 23 points and 5 assists and Singler had 14 with a +17 +/- (the only other Piston with a positive +/- was +3).

Also, is it just me, or does Kyle look twice as fast as he used to?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Not sure if anyone caught the end of the Pistons-Magic game tonight, but it was like a Duke fan's dream - starting NBA SGs JJ Redick and Kyle Singler literally going back and forth to decide an NBA game. The final minute:

0:47 - Singler rips Redick, gets fouled on fast break layup, hits 2 FT for 102-101 lead
    0:42 - Redick hits a three in Singler's face (104-102)
    0:17 - Detroit misses, Redick handles ball whole possession, runs pick and roll against Singler and passes to Davis, who scores. (106-102
    0:09 - Singler scores at rim (106-104)
    0:07 - Redick fouled, hits both FTs to seal game (108-104)

Redick finished with 23 points and 5 assists and Singler had 14 with a +17 +/- (the only other Piston with a positive +/- was +3).

Also, is it just me, or does Kyle look twice as fast as he used to?
    Here's the box score. I think it is worth looking at just to see how much that +17 by Singler stands out.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

JJ and Bucket-Man

Thanks for the recap Greg_Newton. I'm at my parents' for the weekend and was unable to see the game. Just read the end of the game play-by-play from ESPN and started laughing my head off. Sounds like it was even better than what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Here's the box score. I think it is worth looking at just to see how much that +17 by Singler stands out.
    The really significant piece of that stat sheet was that Singler got his first start and the Pistons first win when Stuckey was hurt. Stuckey returned tonight and came off the bench. Singler was plus 17 and Stuckey -19.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Also noteworthy that McRoberts came off the bench for Orlando to score 7 points (including 1-1 from 3!) and grab 2 boards in just 9 minutes. His +7 number was second on the team.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”