Duke football notes, 10-23-12

Vernon tweaked his knee on the infamous hit Saturday. An adrenaline boost enabled him to play through it but he has been slowed. Able to practice some this A.M.

Cut declined to give any bulletin-board material regarding the play. Said he hadn't heard from Carolina and didnt' expect to. They're busy, we're busy. Let the ACC handle it. He did say that he thought plays of this nature should be subject to video review. Get it right.

Said that his senior leaders had done a good job of getting Carolina behind them and concentrating on FSU. "The right kind of people get hungry with success." Vernon, Renfree, Moore and Canty are the names that most often surface when the word "leader" is mentioned.

High praise for the crowd. Cut said the team responded to the crowd in warm-ups and had an extra pep and energy.

Said the last drive was the highlight of Renfree's career and Cut's tenure at Duke. Said it should be known not as a drive but as The Drive.

Team excited about playing FSU but realistic. Helton cited FSU's speed and depth as major concerns. Cofield said going against the best was one of the reasons he came to Duke.

Speaking of Cofield, he told me he spent most of last week in the training room, rehabbing a balky ankle. He was listed as questionable on Thursday but played a key role in the win. Playing hurt.

Cut went all NASCAR on us. Said Duke didn't have a response when the wheels started coming off against VT. FSU will make the wheels come off at some time Saturday. Does Duke have the pit crew to quickly put them back on again?

The last play took so long that Cut said he thought about coming on the field to make the tackle. He also said that you rarely practice against the rugby play. "How can you?"

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Vernon tweaked his knee on the infamous hit Saturday.
    Jim, Thanks again for posting these notes!

I say Conner Vernon should sit this week and get healthy even if it means he doesn't play against FSU. He is too important and has too much to lose to play hurt. The team needs him at full strength against Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami as we surge toward the ACC Championship Game. I'm confident Coach Cutcliffe and the staff will be focused upon the BIG picture and make the right decision for both the team and Vernon. We have to look past the trees and see the forest.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim, Thanks again for posting these notes!

I say Conner Vernon should sit this week and get healthy even if it means he doesn't play against FSU. He is too important and has too much to lose to play hurt. The team needs him at full strength against Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami as we surge toward the ACC Championship Game. I'm confident Coach Cutcliffe and the staff will be focused upon the BIG picture and make the right decision for both the team and Vernon. We have to look past the trees and see the forest.
    I think you'd have to inject Vernon with some sedative to keep him off the field. After basically playing his first three years with a bum ankle, yet still setting records, I'm pretty sure if he can go he will, even if it isn't 100 percent. I think he, as a senior leader wants to put forth the image to his team that Duke can beat FSU even if the odds seem greatly stacked against them. No on expects them to win and in a game like that you are playing with house money. Strangers things can happen but you need your best players on the field.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I think you'd have to inject Vernon with some sedative to keep him off the field. After basically playing his first three years with a bum ankle, yet still setting records, I'm pretty sure if he can go he will, even if it isn't 100 percent. I think he, as a senior leader wants to put forth the image to his team that Duke can beat FSU even if the odds seem greatly stacked against them. No on expects them to win and in a game like that you are playing with house money. Strangers things can happen but you need your best players on the field.
    Agreed...and he's playing (maybe) his last game in his home state. I expect to see him on the field.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."