CBS Top 50 PG in 2013

Pre-season amnesia

I personally will enjoy watching a healthy Quinn Cook operating at the Duke point. And, if he wasn't part of the top 50 pre-season, de nada.

He was a very highly ranked PG who injured a knee and, in the world of "what have you done lately" web publications, he's being overlooked.

I strongly suspect that he will be on the post-season radar -and above freshmen like the PG at UNC who is on the list.
    Last edited by -jk; 10-22-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I personally will enjoy watching a healthy Quinn Cook operating at the Duke point. And, if he wasn't part of the top 50 pre-season, da nada.

He was a very highly ranked PG who injured a knee and, in the world of "what have you done lately" web publications, he's being overlooked.

I strongly suspect that he will be on the post-season radar -and above freshmen like the PG at UNC who is on the list.
    I hope that Quinn uses this as motivation. Can you hear Collins and K now? Quinn, you are clearly one of the worst point guards in major college basketball, according to CBS. What do you think about that?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    And, if he wasn't part of the top 50 pre-season, de nada.
    Not to nitpick, but doesn't "de nada" mean "you're welcome"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sample dialogue:

Thank you.

It was nothing.

Gracias.

De nada.

sagegrouse

The literal translation is "of nothing," which can be interpreted as "think nothing of it." It is the normal response to "thank you" in Spanish, so it is often connected logically to "you're welcome." But it doesn't literally mean "you're welcome."

I'm really hopeful Quinn is going to have a great year for us. I find it a little bit peculiar that Jeff Goodman wrote an article on Quinn as being "key" to Duke's success this year, meanwhile Quinn is left off of the CBS Top 50 PG list. . . Admittedly, being the point guard at Duke doesn't automatically place a player in the top 50 point guards, but it's hard to imagine that if Duke finishes anywhere near their predicted place in the ACC (top 3) that Quinn will not be big part of that. And it's hard to imagine that any point guard on a top 3 ACC team wouldn't crack the "Top 50" list.

In my opinion, from the limited time I watched Quinn play last year, he has a lot of intangible qualities that make for a great point guard. It was obvious to anyone who watched him that his injury bothered him. In particular, he was a defensive liability. But all of his physical/athletic deficiencies aside, Quinn is a very heady point guard. He knows where his teammates are and how to get them the ball.

Moreover, he looks like he knows what he is doing out there. By that, I mean Quinn looks comfortable as point guard. I think Duke fans have good reason to be optimistic about Cook's contributions this year. If Quinn is anything like his Godbrother/mentor Nolan Smith, we can expect a determination to prove his critics wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The literal translation is "of nothing," which can be interpreted as "think nothing of it." It is the normal response to "thank you" in Spanish, so it is often connected logically to "you're welcome." But it doesn't literally mean "you're welcome."
    This is (one of the reasons) why I love DBR--there are always interesting little sidebars mixed in with the sports.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    This is (one of the reasons) why I love DBR--there are always interesting little sidebars mixed in with the sports.
    Probably very little discussion of the finer points of the Spanish language happening on UNC or State Boards.

But back to the point, I know that coming into the season, a lot of the undergrads who are the big basketball fans on campus are thinking the Quinn is the key to this season. Not necessarily an expert opinion, but I've been hearing it a lot in basketball conversations on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHLM'13 View Post
    Probably very little discussion of the finer points of the Spanish language happening on UNC or State Boards.

But back to the point, I know that coming into the season, a lot of the undergrads who are the big basketball fans on campus are thinking the Quinn is the key to this season. Not necessarily an expert opinion, but I've been hearing it a lot in basketball conversations on campus.
    Vaya pues! Sounds like Cook is going to get the ball to begin the season so hope he can prove the doubters, or the "cbs overlookers" wrong. I think Duke has good depth at guard, even without Andre. They don't have a lot of size at guard though, except for Rasheed I guess. But lack of size at guard can be made up for with strength and quickness, so if Cooks quickness has returned that should help him a lot. I did read a while ago that Coach K told Rasheed to be prepared to play some point too, so as the season goes along may see more of that too.

To me one of the keys of the season will be another freshman, Murphy. Reading in Featherston's article in DBR Coach K compare him to Singler didn't change this view. I think having length at the 3 will help improve Duke's team defense from last year, and we won't see so much of the 3 guard lineups. Murphy could be a key player early in the season even if he isn't looking to score so much. Later in the season, I think it may be another freshman that will probably step up, Rasheed. But this is all admittedly just a hunch at this point. Maybe it will be Quinn all along.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    Vaya pues! Sounds like Cook is going to get the ball to begin the season so hope he can prove the doubters, or the "cbs overlookers" wrong. I think Duke has good depth at guard, even without Andre. They don't have a lot of size at guard though, except for Rasheed I guess. But lack of size at guard can be made up for with strength and quickness, so if Cooks quickness has returned that should help him a lot. I did read a while ago that Coach K told Rasheed to be prepared to play some point too, so as the season goes along may see more of that too.

To me one of the keys of the season will be another freshman, Murphy. Reading in Featherston's article in DBR Coach K compare him to Singler didn't change this view. I think having length at the 3 will help improve Duke's team defense from last year, and we won't see so much of the 3 guard lineups. Murphy could be a key player early in the season even if he isn't looking to score so much. Later in the season, I think it may be another freshman that will probably step up, Rasheed. But this is all admittedly just a hunch at this point. Maybe it will be Quinn all along.
    I have been a Quinn supporter for a long time. His performance on the offensive end was phenomenal last year when he was in. He got assists at a high rate, took care of the ball, and scored for himself efficiently despite terribly shooting from deep. And this was all with a bum knee. Just from the natural progression of a frosh becoming a soph, I would expect his shooting percentage from outside to go up a tick or two (hopefully to at least 33% if not higher), his assist rate to remain stellar or possibly even increase, and his turnover rate to increase slightly simply from the extra time he'll see on the court against the opposition's starting guards. On offense, he has all the makings of a seriously efficient playmaker who will (hopefully) make it easier for everyone around him to score.

Defensively, I was disappointed that he didn't show more last year, although to be quite honest, I'm not sure that he was substantially worse than anyone else we could play at the point last year. I actually thought his biggest problem was an ever-eagerness. He was often completely thrown off by fakes and hesitation moves, pulling himself way out of position by incorrectly anticipating his opponent's next move. Now that he's fully recovered, i think he has the ability to be an asset. A year of experience plus the improved quickness that undoubtedly will come with being fully healthy should make a big difference. While his lack of size will be a liability against a number of guards, I'm hoping that his quickness with the ball translates better to quickness on defense. Just staying in front of his man a bit better can make a world of difference for the entire team defense.

One myth that I think the media buys into time and time again is that you can never let your man by you if you want to play good defense. While obviously it is ideal to keep your man infront of you at all times, what the 2010 championship team was so good at doing was making sure that the opposing player had to work hard to get around them, forcing them to take an extra step or an extra dribble in order to get into the lane. That one extra step gives the help defender a split second of extra time to get into the right position. It gives the secondary help defender an extra moment to get into position (this, I think, was the thing that plagued our team last year the most). And it also takes away an extra second for the offensive player to see how the defense is reacting and decide to shoot or pass. Quinn does not need to be a lock-down defender, individually. He just needs to make sure he's funneling his man into the right parts of the defense and that he forces his man to work hard to get there. Improving this one area, combined with the extra size and versatility Alex brings to the table, could make a very big difference on the defensive end. I predict that Quinn's offense will be so good that even a modest improvement on defense will make Duke very, very dangerous.

A nice piece about Quinn in response to his snub from CBS's top 50:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1233121.html

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    A nice piece about Quinn in response to his snub from CBS's top 50:

http://duke.scout.com/2/1233121.html
    If only Duke had a top 50 PG who could compete with some of the top 10 point guards in the country like Phil Pressey from Missouri or Peyton Siva from Louisville, they would be more able to compete in the Battle for Atlantis. In CBS's defense, (though I often find their predictions worse than some others) pre-season prognostication is not that simple and Quinn was not coming off a big year.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    If only Duke had a top 50 PG who could compete with some of the top 10 point guards in the country like Phil Pressey from Missouri or Peyton Siva from Louisville, they would be more able to compete in the Battle for Atlantis. In CBS's defense, (though I often find their predictions worse than some others) pre-season prognostication is not that simple and Quinn was not coming off a big year.
    True, but even a small amount of research could probably have led to them putting Quinn somewhere on the list. Quinn was listed as one of basketball prospectus' potential breakout stars (search for Quinn) based on his offensive rating alone, which was through the roof last year. Given that he was also coming off a pretty severe injury but would be fully healthy, I find it hard to believe that you could leave Qunn off of anything that lists the 50 best point guards, even if he was on there at number 50.

At any rate, Quinn has begun his emergence as a premier point guard. I wouldn't say it's been a meteoric rise like Mason establishing himself as a potential NPOY. However, his increasingly steady play has helped our offense immensely. I suspect that most will consider him top 10 by the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    But that is why they get the big bucks to predict these things. Putting Harrow on this list makes even less sense than Paige.

On a somewhat related note, LJ Rose, the #1 PG in last years class at one point is barely getting off the bench. Granted he is behind Pierre Jackson but doesn't seem like we missed too much with LJ either.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sample dialogue:

Thank you.

It was nothing.

Gracias.

De nada.

sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Pretty soon, I hope he is chanting "nuestra casa" as the Crazies did to Greivas (sp?) a few years ago.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.