Cutcliffe's ACC title guarantee not looking so crazy now

The Blue Devils now have skill players that would start for some Top 25 programs. The team also finally can hold up on the line of scrimmage. This season they are ranked No. 39 in sacks, No. 58 in rushing defense and No. 27 in sacks allowed. All more than respectable spots nationally. Two seasons ago, they were No. 113, No. 113 and No. 73 in those categories.

"Our O-line is now one of the strengths of our team," says McLeod. "And, we have a couple of kids who are redshirting that could play for us. Normally, we'd have had to start guys like that as freshmen."

Honestly, Cutcliffe's guarantee of a league title now doesn't seem so far-fetched. They are 3-1 in league play and lead the Coastal Division. He will challenge his players again. The difference between "average" teams and "good" teams is that good teams improve in the second half of the season because they have the willingness to practice with energy, intensity and focus when everyone is sore and beat up. His message Sunday, less than 24 hours after the most significant win in decades: "You have a choice, guys."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...g-so-crazy-now

next year

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    The Blue Devils now have skill players that would start for some Top 25 programs. The team also finally can hold up on the line of scrimmage. This season they are ranked No. 39 in sacks, No. 58 in rushing defense and No. 27 in sacks allowed. All more than respectable spots nationally. Two seasons ago, they were No. 113, No. 113 and No. 73 in those categories.

"Our O-line is now one of the strengths of our team," says McLeod. "And, we have a couple of kids who are redshirting that could play for us. Normally, we'd have had to start guys like that as freshmen."

Honestly, Cutcliffe's guarantee of a league title now doesn't seem so far-fetched. They are 3-1 in league play and lead the Coastal Division. He will challenge his players again. The difference between "average" teams and "good" teams is that good teams improve in the second half of the season because they have the willingness to practice with energy, intensity and focus when everyone is sore and beat up. His message Sunday, less than 24 hours after the most significant win in decades: "You have a choice, guys."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...g-so-crazy-now
    Cut's guarantee wasn't for any specific year. But it seemed crazy enough to suggest that Duke could ever compete for the title.

Obviously, if things break right, he could do it this year -- well, at least we could reach the title game (against FSU? against Clemsom?)

But here's something to consider. If either Anthony Boone or redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk can adequately replace Renfree at quarterback, Duke ought to be MUCH better next season. Cut has to replace his QB, two of his top three WRs, one offensive lineman, his second and third best cornerbacks and two quality safeties.

But we still return seven starters on offense, eight starters on defense and both kickers ... that doesn't count Kelby Brown, the best LB in our program or Braxton Deaver, our best TE, or Jeremy Cash, who would be starting at safety.

I think next year's team will be more run oriented -- with three great TBs, a bunch of tight ends, and good running QBs such as Boone, Connette and Sirk -- plus a deep, veteran OL. The defense still has some good players in the secondary (Cockrell, Braxton, Norman, Cash) and EVERYBODY up front except Austin Gamble).

My point is that Duke is likely to be much better a year from now. If this year's team doesn't win the ACC title, next year's team will be in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Obviously, if things break right, he could do it this year -- well, at least we could reach the title game (against FSU? against Clemsom?)
    Against NC State! Winnable.

One Game at a Time, Please!

Boards are for speculating, I get it, but jeez don't you remember what happened last year?

One game at a time. Next play. You have all of winter and spring 2013 to discuss next year, when you get bored with speculating why [insert name here] is in K's doghouse.

Props to your imagination and hopefulness, but I beg of you, let's just eat the food in front of us before we think about dessert and what's for dinner tomorrow.

Best Duke Football game I have been at since UT in Knoxville in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Cut's guarantee wasn't for any specific year. But it seemed crazy enough to suggest that Duke could ever compete for the title.

But here's something to consider. If either Anthony Boone or redshirt freshman Thomas Sirk can adequately replace Renfree at quarterback, Duke ought to be MUCH better next season. Cut has to replace his QB, two of his top three WRs, one offensive lineman, his second and third best cornerbacks and two quality safeties.

But we still return seven starters on offense, eight starters on defense and both kickers ... that doesn't count Kelby Brown, the best LB in our program or Braxton Deaver, our best TE, or Jeremy Cash, who would be starting at safety.

I think next year's team will be more run oriented -- with three great TBs, a bunch of tight ends, and good running QBs such as Boone, Connette and Sirk -- plus a deep, veteran OL. The defense still has some good players in the secondary (Cockrell, Braxton, Norman, Cash) and EVERYBODY up front except Austin Gamble).

My point is that Duke is likely to be much better a year from now. If this year's team doesn't win the ACC title, next year's team will be in the mix.
    There's also a good chance Duke will replace Florida State on the conference schedule with Pittsburgh, which would help. Replace Stanford in the non-conference with a weak FBS school and things could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    Boards are for speculating, I get it, but jeez don't you remember what happened last year?

One game at a time. Next play. You have all of winter and spring 2013 to discuss next year, when you get bored with speculating why [insert name here] is in K's doghouse.

Props to your imagination and hopefulness, but I beg of you, let's just eat the food in front of us before we think about dessert and what's for dinner tomorrow.

Best Duke Football game I have been at since UT in Knoxville in 1982.
    No one's punching our ticket just yet. But, like the OP said, Cut's guarantee is not looking so crazy anymore. It's possible, but no one's booking hotel rooms in Charlotte at this point.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I just have to add that if:

1) We beat GT and Miami, both rated within a point of us, per Sagarin, and

2) Miami beats VT next week (odds will be ~even), and

3) FSU beats VT, as they will be favored to,

...we'll be playing in the ACC championship game.

I'm all for savoring the current moment and I certainly don't expect this to happen, but it's worth noting that only four games would need to go our way for this to transpire, only one of which would be a slight upset (Duke@ GT) as of now. Insane to even consider.

At least one more person still thinks Kentucky has a shot at wooing Coach Cut. Why they think he'd turn down Tennessee, then get Duke to a relative mountaintop, then leave for a moribund program in the cutthroat conference that already cut him loose after one losing season is beyond me. Is this another means of grasping at Laettner retribution, or what?

Uuuhm..
    We've now had a few days to bask in the warmth and glow that is and all...
    But I cant let myself go out of control with enthusiasm JUST yet. I'm too jaded or just plain afraid of a let down.

I thought we had a shot to look respectable vs Stanford...
    For a half I dared hope we would beat VT...
    We looked great vs UNC for 3 Q's and we tried real hard to Duke up the game at the end..

I gotta level with ya. After UNC scored on that fluke play - I went off on an expletive charged tirade that would have made a Tourettes Conference seem tame. I thought the game was done. I had no confidence (zero, zippo, nada) we could get a TD when we HAD to. Heck, we hadn't gotten a TD all 2nd half... a score on the most important drive of the game.. whens the last time THAT ended well for Duke? I cant remember it.

Conference champs?
    Yall are speaking a foreign language. Not even gonna consider it.

I hope the team now has bushel loads of confidence. I hope the guys never want this feeling to end and keep working and eek out a few more wins. I don't want them to be satisfied, complacent and mail it in thinking they have already made played and won their bowl game. More work is to be done and I'm not sure how they'll face this challenge. Uncharted territory.

Just like the game winning drive - it hadn't happened, they hadn't proved to me they could do it... Now I know they can. I need to see them play now that they have had a taste of success and see how it goes before penciling them into a title game...