Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Gotta be the shoes! Don't recall so many foot injuries when the guys were wearing Addidas. Crossing my fingers that Marshall comes back and remains healthy the rest of the way.
    That may actually be a good point, not necessarily the Adidas comment; but it is a starting point to discuss with Nike, who might well be able to reinforce the shoes in a preventive way. I'm sure they have the engineering capability and could work the problem fairly quickly. I'm betting they would take Krzyzewski's call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    That may actually be a good point, not necessarily the Adidas comment; but it is a starting point to discuss with Nike, who might well be able to reinforce the shoes in a preventive way. I'm sure they have the engineering capability and could work the problem fairly quickly. I'm betting they would take Krzyzewski's call.
    do you think it's in nike's best interest to build shoes that allow the athletes to whom they provide said shoes to get hurt?

NO

Nike sponsors schools because when the school performs highly, nike gets exposure...exposure=money spent on nike goods (often school paraphernalia)...so if a school's players are riding the pine injured, and the team doesn't perform well, how is that good for nike?

You seem to think that nike has some magical injury preventing technology that they are willingly choosing not to use, and would do so at the behest of coach K. I think that's absurd.

Athletes get injured. They get injured in nike shoes, adidas shoes, clown shoes. If there was a technique they knew about which was demonstrated to reduce injury without impacting performance, why wouldn't they already be using it?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    do you think it's in nike's best interest to build shoes that allow the athletes to whom they provide said shoes to get hurt?

NO

Nike sponsors schools because when the school performs highly, nike gets exposure...exposure=money spent on nike goods (often school paraphernalia)...so if a school's players are riding the pine injured, and the team doesn't perform well, how is that good for nike?

You seem to think that nike has some magical injury preventing technology that they are willingly choosing not to use, and would do so at the behest of coach K. I think that's absurd.

Athletes get injured. They get injured in nike shoes, adidas shoes, clown shoes. If there was a technique they knew about which was demonstrated to reduce injury without impacting performance, why wouldn't they already be using it?
    Clown Shoes? I dunno. I'm not sure I've ever heard/seen anyone get injured with one of these:

beer_118178.jpg

Just kidding. Sorry, wrong thread/board.

Get well soon MP3!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Coach K saying that Marshall was one of the top six players on our team before injuring himself. That's pretty high praise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ike-krzyzewski

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

NO

Wow. Kind of a distortion, wouldn't you say? Who said that Nike or Adidas builds shoes for athletes that allow athletes to get hurt? I never said anything of the kind and resent the implication that I did.

All I said was that the current shoe design might well be reevaluated to see if preventive improvements can be made. There was no suggestion that shoes were the cause of the metatarsal injuries--only that perhaps injuries could be avoided by improving their design.

These athletes apply extraordinary force--pounding, torque, etc.--to their feet as they play. That is the "cause." But, lightweight material is used so their quickness is not impaired. In view of the frequency of the injuries, is that a tradeoff that should be re-examined? I suspect the answer is yes and would always be yes. That is because of the many variables in individual situations. One example might be that perhaps the shoe construction/material which works fine for a 175 pound player does not work as well for a 250 pound player. Doesn't physics suggest a dramatic foot-pound differential based on a player's weight? Other variables are at work, too--width of the player's foot; arch differences and so on.

In making that observation, I don't see how I am suggesting that that shoe manufacturers are currently building shoes likely to injure.

You have used a straw argument here. Why? You own shoe company stock?

Or you do you just trust that the manufacturers never need to improve their product?

If these shoes can be improved, wouldn't you want them to do it? Improving them is not an acknowledgment that the current design is somehow inadequate; there are plenty of players who don't get hurt. As you say, though, why wouldn't the manufacturers not be using the best materials/design?

Why wouldn't they respond to an issue like this, whether raised by Coach K or by Charley the Church League coach? Basketball players come in all sizes and strengths.

Anyone else concerned how lack of fc depth will hurt against Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    No...

From a depth perspective, no not at all. Ryan, Mason, Amile, and co will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    From a depth perspective, no not at all. Ryan, Mason, Amile, and co will be just fine.
    I just think 6'8" 195 jefferson against 7' 245 Cauley-Stein could be a bad match-up in the post.

huh?

I just think 6'8" 195 jefferson against 7' 245 Cauley-Stein could be a bad match-up in the post.
    I think that match up only happens if:
    1)Both Mason AND Ryan have fouled out.
    2)Josh (6-7, 240) is getting crushed
    3) Todd (6-9 240) is invisible
    I guess that is a statistical possibility, but not one I am not going to spend another minute thinking about.
    Last edited by timmy c; 10-19-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Sorry, but Todd is invisible. No way he gets into a game before Amile, I don't care who they have to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    I think that match up only happens if:
    1)Both Mason AND Ryan have fouled out.
    2)Josh (6-7, 240) is getting crushed
    I guess that is a statistical possibility, but not one I am not going to spend another minute thinking about.
    A far more likely scenario is that Mason or Ryan get 2 quick fouls and have to sit out most of the first half. We then have match up problems at one (if Wiltjer is in as he is basically the same type as Ryan) or two of the Center/PF positions. Are you really sold on Josh as a low post defender? I guess he could have improved a lot over the summer. Todd is a last resort.

A far more likely scenario is that Mason or Ryan get 2 quick fouls and have to sit out most of the first half. We then have match up problems at one (if Wiltjer is in as he is basically the same type as Ryan) or two of the Center/PF positions. Are you really sold on Josh as a low post defender? I guess he could have improved a lot over the summer. Todd is a last resort.
    Most teams are going to have a problem if their staring center and starting power forward each pick up two quick fouls. One would hope that would not often happen to a team startingexperienced seniors at both of those spots.

In his Duke write-up from ACC media day, posted today, Andy Katz describes Marshall as out for six to eight weeks. Before, I thought we were hearing 4 to 6 weeks. Did I miss something? Or did Katz get this wrong? http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...-acc-media-day

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    In his Duke write-up from ACC media day, posted today, Andy Katz describes Marshall as out for six to eight weeks. Before, I thought we were hearing 4 to 6 weeks. Did I miss something? Or did Katz get this wrong? http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...-acc-media-day
    The initial report was 6-8. But since it has now been about a week since he injured it, maybe we're looking at 5-7.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    The initial report was 6-8. But since it has now been about a week since he injured it, maybe we're looking at 5-7.
    Thanks. I now realize I saw 4-6 weeks in a post on another thread, so it was probably just a wishful typo by that poster.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Thanks. I now realize I saw 4-6 weeks in a post on another thread, so it was probably just a wishful typo by that poster.
    Ironically, that might have been me.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Ironically, that might have been me.
    He was in a boot/cast, and on crutches tonight. Would love for him to make it back for the December games. If he really was one of the top 6 players thus far, he will be an asset in post depth to back Mason up at the 5 spot. I imagine K will also play Mason and Marshall together at times, with Mase sliding over to the 4 spot. Marshall is a true back to the basket player, which is great. Mason has developed into a back to the basket player, but had to put a lot of work in to get there. Marshall is a natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sorry, but Todd is invisible. No way he gets into a game before Amile, I don't care who they have to guard.
    Sorry for asking, but who is Todd?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpope View Post
    Sorry for asking, but who is Todd?
    Todd Zafirovsky. Senior (I think) walk on.