Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The Marshall Plumlee foot vigil

Boot on left foot, K said he could be out for 'a while'
    I was at the coaches' clinic today in Cameron

Geesh, the injury bug biting already. Also read Seth was on the stationary bike nursing something minor. I really didn't expect Marshall to play much nor be a part of the rotation. But him being out for "awhile" really hurts his development for next season. Seems like yet more big man injury bad luck.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Again with the foot injuries? Gotta be kidding me.

That's really unfortunate. I am sure he is more than eager to get his college career off to a start.

While he may not see major rotation by the end of the season, as K traditionally tightens things up heading toward February, there probably would have been ample playing time for Marshall early on in the OOC portion of the schedule. I'm anxious to see what the kid can bring to the table. Here's to a speedy recovery.

So damn irritating. Give us a year with no injuries, PLEASE. Hope he is back soon.

And I am expecting Marshall to put in some time this year. Who do you guys think we have to back up our only center? Mason gets 3 fouls... what, you think Josh is stepping in? Maybe Ryan, but otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    So damn irritating. Give us a year with no injuries, PLEASE. Hope he is back soon.

And I am expecting Marshall to put in some time this year. Who do you guys think we have to back up our only center? Mason gets 3 fouls... what, you think Josh is stepping in? Maybe Ryan, but otherwise...
    I posted this in the expectation thread, I see Ryan getting a ton of time switching between post positions. I think Marshall's injury affects this much more so earlier in the season with Ryan not getting much rest. Hairston will probably end up with a lot more minutes now in the early months.

I think this has more potential to hurt us next season than this season (think Zoubek), depending on the extent of the injury.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Todd please step up

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I posted this in the expectation thread, I see Ryan getting a ton of time switching between post positions. I think Marshall's injury affects this much more so earlier in the season with Ryan not getting much rest. Hairston will probably end up with a lot more minutes now in the early months.

I think this has more potential to hurt us next season than this season (think Zoubek), depending on the extent of the injury.
    I agree, but hope that it doesn't also turn out to affect us -- negatively -- later in the season in the form of an emotionally and physically-taxed Ryan Kelly. I am confident Ryan has prepared for his senior year as well as could possibly be expected under the direction of one of the best training staffs in the country, but if he really is asked to play close to 40 minutes a game over the course of the year to compensate for our sudden dearth at center, as has been suggested here, I worry that Ryan might not have enough staying power deep into March. His shooting, in particular, all ready has shown a propensity to drop off somewhat over the last month of the season in each of the past couple of years. I want him as fresh as possible, and playing 40 minutes per game at the power forward and center positions for a significant portion of the season wouldn't seem to lend well to that.

On the other hand, if Kelly is forced to play more minutes through the necessity of spelling Mason, perhaps that will reveal a silver lining of sorts by presenting Amile Jefferson with more minutes and subsequently a greater opportunity to work his way prominently into the rotation sooner than most might have expected.

Although, it's hard to tell how all of this will ultimately play out. I think we can all agree that it would be best for the team if Marshall gets back as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am confident Ryan has prepared for his senior year as well as could possibly be expected under the direction of one of the best training staffs in the country, but if he really is asked to play close to 40 minutes a game over the course of the year to compensate for our sudden dearth at center, as has been suggested here, I worry that Ryan might not have enough staying power deep into March.
    I'm just not ready yet for a discussion of whether our guys are playing too many minutes so they'll be too tired at the end of the season. So I'm not going to get into that.

However, my guess (as we've been discussing in the "expectations" thread) is that Mason and Ryan will each play about 30 minutes a game, and that Marshall, Amile, and Josh will have approximately 20 minutes to split among them. Even if Marshall gets none of those minutes, it would probably mean about 12 and 8 for Amile and Josh (or Josh and Amile), which doesn't sound outrageous to me. I expect that either Mason or Ryan will be on the floor at all times, but at 30 minutes apiece, I wouldn't be worried about conditioning issues or anybody wilting at the end of the season.

I'm concerned about Marshall's injury and want him to have every chance to succeed, but any worry about Ryan playing 40 minutes a game or panic that we don't have anybody to back up Mason is, in my opinion, misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am confident Ryan has prepared for his senior year as well as could possibly be expected under the direction of one of the best training staffs in the country
    Why all the injuries then, not just at Duke? Does high-end training reduce the likelihood of injury or increase it? Do trainers help athletes distribute work equally throughout the body, or does sheering force amplified by the training these athletes get drive force in a direction that pushes force into one area of the connective tisse/bones that is not quipped to handle it?

By the way, exploring how to develop a solid connection between the fourth metatarsal and the central bone in the forepart of the foot, leaning how to create and maintain that connection, to push through that connection, not only will add tremendous, effortless stability to the entire body, but it will also greatly reduce these foot, ankle, and knee injuries that we see in sport in ever more alarming numbers. Learning how to use oneself to maintain this connection creates an ability to withstand pushes and shoves from any direction without tightening and greatly improves one's ability to more in any direction with power and control while maintaining suppleness. How long before one will begin to experience these qualities? Depends on who is creating the learning environment, and what it is the teacher/training is trying to impart and how knowledgible he or she is and how skilled he or she is at reaching people with different learning styles. Me, I would spend time in the Seattle area learning from a guy named Jeff Haller. As a matter of fact, this is my second trip across the country to spend some time working with Jeff is as many months.

Early season prep

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm just not ready yet for a discussion of whether our guys are playing too many minutes so they'll be too tired at the end of the season. So I'm not going to get into that.
    I dunno, Kedsy, you might want to start practicing now, so that you will be in peak form to refute others in February and March, the first time the three pointers aren't falling!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Really hate to see this. I was looking forward to see MP3 in action in these early games. Definitely a set back for this development. I suspect this will lead to more PT for Amile, so maybe it helps his development.

Hopefully MP3 will have a quick recovery and get back out there, but a terrible time for a young big man to suffer an injury.

does anyone even know what the injury is??

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    Good question. I hope this is minor and not as significant as what Ryan went through. Anyone got news?
    I think this could hurt our other bigs because Marshall won't be available to practice against.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Good question. I hope this is minor and not as significant as what Ryan went through. Anyone got news?
    I think this could hurt our other bigs because Marshall won't be available to practice against.
    I think it will hurt our bigs because he is the biggest big.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think it will hurt our bigs because he is the biggest big.
    In 1986, Marty Nessley was our biggest big. By a lot. He had 20 DNPs in 40 games. Did that hurt our other bigs?

NOTE: I'm not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Marty Nessley in terms of skill or potential, or in any other way other than height. I'm simply wondering how being the "biggest big" could make a difference, in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    Duke undergrad here. I live on the same floor in the dorms as all the sophomores on the team. I ran into Marshall last night and he said it was a stress fracture that occured sometime before practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In 1986, Marty Nessley was our biggest big. By a lot. He had 20 DNPs in 40 games. Did that hurt our other bigs?

NOTE: I'm not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Marty Nessley in terms of skill or potential, or in any other way other than height. I'm simply wondering how being the "biggest big" could make a difference, in and of itself.
    Because practicing against our "biggest big" gives our other bigs experience in playing against big bigs?

So how long would he be out for with a stress fracture?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    So how long would he be out for with a stress fracture?
    probably depends on lots of things...but i'm guessing anywhere from 1-2 months
    1200. DDMF.