Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I also believe there could be a medical red-shirt in this case. If not, maybe go on a mission?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Probably the fifth metatarsal, which is imbedded not only in Marshall's foot but the history of the Duke basketball program. Here's a diagram and a brief discussion.

sagegrouse
    Second metatarsal, per coverage of practice at Ft. Bragg on espnu.

Tweet from Adam Rowe:

Marshall Plumlee has a stress fracture of his 2nd metatarsal, expected to miss 6-8 weeks.
    https://twitter.com/DukeHoopBlog/sta...05196007583745

Quote Originally Posted by TheRose77 View Post
    Second metatarsal, per coverage of practice at Ft. Bragg on espnu.
    Correct -- stress fracture of the 2nd metatarsal -- 6-8 weeks.

Now the usual question -- is that until practice or until a game?

sagegrouse

You mean I'm the first that gets to say it this time?
    "It's over!"

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I also believe there could be a medical red-shirt in this case. If not, maybe go on a mission?

Normally, a player has five years to complete four seasons of eligibility. You get one redshirt year.

If a first redshirt was for medical reasons, a player can apply for a second redshirt/sixth year should an injury in a subsequent season cause him/her to miss that season. Such was the case with Kenny Anunike of the Duke football team.

However, Marshall was healthy last season. He just didn't play. Therefore, he has four years left to complete his four years of eligibilty. Duke has no basis for asking for a medical redshirt sixth year.

That's one of the disadvantages of redshirting a healthy player. You lose the option of a medical redshirt down the line.

FWIW, this is beyond premature. Marshall is looking at returning as soon as the middle of next month, after missing a handful of games at most.

Jim... even if actually premature, this discussion is good info for me. I always wondered how a player gets 6 years. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Jim... even if actually premature, this discussion is good info for me. I always wondered how a player gets 6 years. Thanks...
    At UConn, you knock over a liquor store.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    At UConn, you knock over a liquor store.
    Are you kidding???? At uCon, that doesn't even get you a one game suspension!

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    You mean I'm the first that gets to say it this time?
    "It's over!"
    Absolutely, but that means I have to point out that it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Absolutely, but that means I have to point out that it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
    [Otter] Germans? [/Otter]

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    [Otter] Germans? [/Otter]
    [Boon] Forget it, he's rolling. [Boon]

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks of Animal House when our backup QB is mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks of Animal House when our backup QB is mentioned?
    Well, now there are two of us. :-O

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Are you kidding???? At uCon, that doesn't even get you a one game suspension!
    Let's be accurate and fair here. It would get you a one semester suspension involving several meaningless games. I feel dirty clarifying a Calhoun event. Fortunately, it's time for a shower now.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

CNN/SI says MP3 out 6-8 weeks with stress fracture

CNN/SI is reporting that MP3 is out 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/15/ma.../?sct=cb_t2_a3

If true, I am less concerned about the Nov. and early-Dec. games that he might miss, and more worried about the delayed conditioning and practice/development for a kid who we were hoping would be a a part of the core rotation this year. This will put him 6-8 weeks behind the rest of the team. Hopefully he can catch up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Why all the injuries then, not just at Duke? Does high-end training reduce the likelihood of injury or increase it? Do trainers help athletes distribute work equally throughout the body, or does sheering force amplified by the training these athletes get drive force in a direction that pushes force into one area of the connective tisse/bones that is not quipped to handle it?

By the way, exploring how to develop a solid connection between the fourth metatarsal and the central bone in the forepart of the foot, leaning how to create and maintain that connection, to push through that connection, not only will add tremendous, effortless stability to the entire body, but it will also greatly reduce these foot, ankle, and knee injuries that we see in sport in ever more alarming numbers. Learning how to use oneself to maintain this connection creates an ability to withstand pushes and shoves from any direction without tightening and greatly improves one's ability to more in any direction with power and control while maintaining suppleness. How long before one will begin to experience these qualities? Depends on who is creating the learning environment, and what it is the teacher/training is trying to impart and how knowledgible he or she is and how skilled he or she is at reaching people with different learning styles. Me, I would spend time in the Seattle area learning from a guy named Jeff Haller. As a matter of fact, this is my second trip across the country to spend some time working with Jeff is as many months.
    The training staff could do a lot more to educate the players. I think the trainers could help injury prevention. Perhaps the trainer Fonseca and his assistants should be taking courses to upgrade their knowledge.Foot injuries are becoming too common on Duke basketball players.

Does the five-year window still apply to an incoming freshman, since he's NEVER played a game for us, is the clock already running, so to speak?

This kind of reminds me of two years ago (maybe three?) when Mason hurt his foot over the summer. Unfortunately it seemed like it really set him back. Hopefully Marshsll can make him the lost ground more quickly. Even if he doesn't get a lot of game time, he's really valuable to bang around inside with Mason and Ryan in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    The training staff could do a lot more to educate the players. I think the trainers could help injury prevention. Perhaps the trainer Fonseca and his assistants should be taking courses to upgrade their knowledge.Foot injuries are becoming too common on Duke basketball players.
    Gotta be the shoes! Don't recall so many foot injuries when the guys were wearing Addidas. Crossing my fingers that Marshall comes back and remains healthy the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    CNN/SI is reporting that MP3 is out 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/10/15/ma.../?sct=cb_t2_a3

If true, I am less concerned about the Nov. and early-Dec. games that he might miss, and more worried about the delayed conditioning and practice/development for a kid who we were hoping would be a a part of the core rotation this year. This will put him 6-8 weeks behind the rest of the team. Hopefully he can catch up quickly.
    I am highly doubtful he was going to be a part of the core rotation this year. No matter what, I think we're looking at an 8 man rotation in the early months, and a 7 man rotation in the ACC months. My concern is his development for next year. Having at least some game experience seems important to carry into next season.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This kind of reminds me of two years ago (maybe three?) when Mason hurt his foot over the summer.
    Just before the games started Mason's freshman year, he broke his wrist. Is that what you mean? I don't remember Mason ever seriously hurting his foot.