Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't understand this statement. What had Z or Lance shown as leaders prior to their senior season? Z had never averaged as much as 12 mpg before 2009-10, so he certainly hadn't been leading on the court. And I don't think Jon Scheyer was really the leader of the 2008 or 2009 teams, either. Certainly as players, the current trio is more accomplished in the aggregate than the 2010 trio.

Putting all that aside, experience doesn't only mean outspoken leadership. It means understanding what the coach wants and being able to execute it. It means the game has slowed down for you. It means not getting flustered because you've been there before. It could even mean leading by quiet example.

Finally, I wonder if Purdue or Baylor had beaten us in 2010 whether you'd be making statements like, "they're just not." I suspect not, although if we'd lost in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, our seniors' experience or leadership abilities wouldn't have been any less. I have no idea if this applies to you, but it seems in many fans' eyes winning the title made these players larger than life, elevated them to exalted status. But the championship didn't make them experienced. Their experience made them champions.
    This is a completely valid and understandable statement, and while my thoughts were just my opinion, it was more the way K spoke of them throughout the majority of their careers that has me place the "leaders" label on them. You're right, the praise I give them would probably be less substantial had they not made it to the final four; however, I remember I had the opportunity to speak with Gerald Henderson a few years ago and asked him if he was disappointed that he missed out on the 2010 season. He said, no, because that team was Jon, Lance, and Brian's, I would have changed that dynamic. We might have still won, but it certainly was no guarantee. It is that statement more than anything that has made me revere those three seniors so much. Arguably, our two best players that year were Singler and Smith, but Gerald said that it was the SENIORS team, they made it work, even with the loss of the best player from the year before.

I hope that explains a little more my position on that particular senior class. I don't know about this year's. I haven't heard the type of praise from within or from outside the program concerning their leadership, that's doesn't mean that it's not there, or that if it wasn't there before that it won't be this year. It simply means that saying just because they're seniors, experienced and successful as they may be, doesn't guarantee that there will be significant similarities between the two classes.

I'm sorry if that ruffled any feathers, but it is simply the way I feel about this year's team and hope that they do in fact live up to that level of leadership that I personally noticed. Maybe saying that "they're just not" was a little harsh, and may be untrue, but I could tell that leading up to the 2010 season, we really had that leadership by the players that Duke has sort of become known for, even with the loss of Gerald. Zoubek surprised me, both with his level of play and the impact that he appeared to have on the younger players; hopefully this season will grant me a similar surprise with at least the three seniors. I think that even with Tyler's certain basketball limitations, he is the most outspoken and relatively proven/natural leader on this team, he's a bull dog and to be honest I was a bit surprised to see that he wasn't named a captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Note: I think think that Tyler Lewis will never be the player that some people think he will be and he should almost be discounted for this year. He's not particularly quick, he's tiny, and he's a terrible defender from what I've seen from Oak Hill last year.

This team will go as far as Lorenzo Brown takes them. He is that talented and is that good (somebody's gotta get Leslie the rock). Moving him to PG, and seeing how good he could be at that spot has been the best move Gottfried has made, and that includes the stud recruiting class he just brought in.
    Folks will always be doubting Thomas' with regards to Tyler. The Oak Hill coach said he's the first player he's ever had that would be last pick on a playground. I think his strength is in his passing and offensive play making. I also like that he wanted to transfer to Oak Hill for the added challenge and to play against the best instead of against local HS teams. The kid is a baller and I don't think you can just discount him as being slow and small with horrible defense. He's gonna have to be one of those kids that we need to see before we'll believe. Maybe he'll make believes out of us, maybe he won't. He's definitely the biggest question mark of the season for State. I will say, if State has to depend on him for a defensive stop we messed up our end of game substitution pattern

Zo Brown I think could be better than Leslie. The way Brown started to take over in the last handful of games was masterful. Of course, the same could be said of Leslie as well. I've been a State fan for 20 years now and they are the two best players I've seen at State in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

Note: I think think that Tyler Lewis will never be the player that some people think he will be and he should almost be discounted for this year. He's not particularly quick, he's tiny, and he's a terrible defender from what I've seen from Oak Hill last year.
    Sounds just like Kendal Marshall but add in Marshall couldn't shoot and I would say he did purdy darn good. Not saying Lewis has that kind of floor vision or passing skills but there are multiple things that can lead to success as a college pg.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Sounds just like Kendal Marshall but add in Marshall couldn't shoot and I would say he did purdy darn good. Not saying Lewis has that kind of floor vision or passing skills but there are multiple things that can lead to success as a college pg.
    Well, also Kendall Marshall is 6'4 and Tyler Lewis is 5'11, so presumably Lewis is at even more of a defensive disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, also Kendall Marshall is 6'4 and Tyler Lewis is 5'11, so presumably Lewis is at even more of a defensive disadvantage.

True it puts him at a disadvantage but he you can overcome that with the will and desire to be a better defender. Marshall may not have been as dedicated to defense (idk I am just spit balling) and Lewis may want to pride himself in it at some point. Time will tell

Dexter Strickland - my new favorite 'stupid heel'

Hey, check this out...

Dexter is my new favorite 'stupid heel' with this bit of bulletin board fodder for NC State :

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...kings/1643803/

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    At the beginning of that season, no sane person was saying, "We got Senior Lance, Zoub, and Scheyer -- National Champs, Baby!" (Well, maybe Ozzie was.)
    Your parenthetical can be removed. Your original statement stands: no sane person was saying it.

Brevity, your paradigm of ostracism!