Exclamation How to save a life and use an AED – Automated External Debrillator

Mods - this is too important to be relegated to the Off Topic board.

The life you save might be mine! Or yours!

Those Heart Machines

We have all walked by the Red Cross sign in airports indicating where a heart machine is located. Do you know what is packed with the machine and how to use the machine?
    I did not.

Watch this video and you will be much better prepared to save a life. I just watched the video and was very impressed, and so I'm sending it to my friends in the hope that doing so will save lives.

http://www.heartrescuenow.com/
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Automatic External Defibrillator

The title of the thread was wrong in the email I got the info on, and I copied what they said. It actually came from a nurse at the NC Division of Medical Assistance, so I trusted what they sent and just copied it. It just didn't look right to me, so I did some checking and realized that they misspelled defibrillator. Mods, please change it to Defibrillator!

9F 9F 9F

seems to be something up with the link as well....it's an 11 sec video ...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    seems to be something up with the link as well....it's an 11 sec video ...
    The link is fine. You have to answer the questions that appear on the screen as it progresses (click on it). Do it right first, then do each alternate answer when you have time. Sometimes, freaking out can be fun, but not in this situation! There are several segments to the video.

9F 9F 9F

no questions....video starts...guy falls down...video ends....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

ok,,,,older version of flash....

yeah, that was very educational....feel like i could pull that off now as it wouldn't seem so foreign to me...

thanks man...

everyone should watch this..

I have serious problems with the video.

First, it's sponsored by the device company, which should get your skepticism aroused.

Second, virtually the first piece of advice is, "have someone get the device that we sell."

Third, before the inexperienced, untrained person even checks for respirations and a pulse, the video suggests starting chest compressions. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are plenty of reasons not to be immediately responsive (eg, being post-ictal from a seizure or being intoxicated) where CPR is not indicated.

While it's good to be aware of first aid, I'm not sure this is the greatest example of a public health service.

Paramedics and Emergency room nurses and doctors please weigh in...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

First, it's sponsored by the device company, which should get your skepticism aroused.

Second, virtually the first piece of advice is, "have someone get the device that we sell."

Third, before the inexperienced, untrained person even checks for respirations and a pulse, the video suggests starting chest compressions. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are plenty of reasons not to be immediately responsive (eg, being post-ictal from a seizure or being intoxicated) where CPR is not indicated.

While it's good to be aware of first aid, I'm not sure this is the greatest example of a public health service.

This device is not a serious problem. It is an answer to a serious problem. There is a golf course pro shop about a block away from my home. They have one there. If i were to need it during the day I could retrieve it pretty quickly, and save someone's life. It would be nice if there were more available, but I have only noticed two or three around town. Not enough. That's where the problem is. The vendor of the device can only sell them. The vendor simply cannot give them away, maybe a few to promote sales, but the local authorities need to be proactive. That puts us into PPB territory, though.

Thanks, Ozzie, for showing us how simple this device is. In an emergency in a public place, having one of these devices accessible is a blessing. EMTs cannot always be instantly available, so let's have more of these AEDs everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

I'm not a medical professional, but I am Red Cross certified in CPR, AED and first aid; I'm also an Eagle Scout, which requires CPR and AED training

1) Aside from the Red Cross and BSA, training in AED use is also offered by the American Heart Association. They're very much legitimate devices, and they save lives. See here, here, and here. Also, as near as I can tell the, video was produced by a nonprofit, not one of the manufacturers.

2) Yes, one of the first things you should do for a heart attack victim is send someone for an AED (preferably an employee or manager, since they'll know where to look). CPR can only buy time, while defibrilation may be able to actually fix the problem (although the victim will still need medical care afterwards)

3) The 911 operator confirms that the victim isn't breathing before directing the rescuer to start compressions - presumably their breathing and pulse was checked in between the clips (although they ought to be face-up in that case).

There are some nitpcks about the video - the person providing care shouldn't really be the person on the phone, and it doesn't instruct in some of the finer points of AED use (make sure the person isn't touching any metal or water - more of an issue if it's a drowning victim - for example), and of course the CPR instruction is very abbreviated, but it's reasonable for such a short presentation. If anyone is interested, I highly recommend taking a first aid/CPR classes (AED is included). The Red Cross classes are about 6-7 hours and cost around $100, but it's money and time well spent.
    Last edited by Dukeface88; 10-15-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    This device is not a serious problem. It is an answer to a serious problem. There is a golf course pro shop about a block away from my home. They have one there. If i were to need it during the day I could retrieve it pretty quickly, and save someone's life. It would be nice if there were more available, but I have only noticed two or three around town. Not enough. That's where the problem is. The vendor of the device can only sell them. The vendor simply cannot give them away, maybe a few to promote sales, but the local authorities need to be proactive. That puts us into PPB territory, though.

Thanks, Ozzie, for showing us how simple this device is. In an emergency in a public place, having one of these devices accessible is a blessing. EMTs cannot always be instantly available, so let's have more of these AEDs everywhere.

An AED is not a cure-all for people who are passed out.

No, if someone passes out and truly has a fatality-inducing arrhythmia, you DON'T really have time to run a block, find the device, and run back, presumably while reading the instruction manual. Someone should be assessing for--and then starting--CPR during that time, and a quickie video is NOT enough of an exposure to teach someone to use it AND to evaluate whether it should be used.

From my perspective, the video is an effort to sell devices--which is their business--but this video by itself won't save lives. Want to learn how to evaluate an acutely-ill person? Take a course.

Here's a balanced link to the Mayo Clinic site on the topic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aut...SECTIONGROUP=2

Looking further,

The video was sponsored by the Medtronics Foundation, a major maker of the devices.

Medtronics has been slammed for its corporate ethics in regards to another products:
    http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...-pr-criticism/

And the device itself has inherent woes:
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/...fibrillators/1

Yes, it can help with v fib, but it's not nearly as good as taking a Red Cross class.

OK, I'll stop now...