Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Um..., News for the women

According to her Twitter account- @bgreenwell23-Rebecca Greenwell has committed to Duke. She's a 6-1 wing from Kentucky. Top 10 in class of 2013.

About time we beat Kentucky's recruiting...

In addition to getting a darn-good prospect, this is significant because Greenwell is the first elite recruit to pick Duke since Stafford-Odom left Duke for Chapel Hill. There was a narrative out there that Stafford-Odom was the key to Duke's recruiting successes and that McCallie would be unable to bring in elite recruits in her absence.

Seems to not be the case.

A couple of great recruiting classes. Lots of talent on the WBB team now. Looking forward to seeing them in the Final Four soon!!
    I saw a preseason poll somewhere recently that had them in the top-5 nationally for 2012-13. Gotta get past Baylor, U-con and Stanford (and ND?).

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    A couple of great recruiting classes. Lots of talent on the WBB team now. Looking forward to seeing them in the Final Four soon!!
    I saw a preseason poll somewhere recently that had them in the top-5 nationally for 2012-13. Gotta get past Baylor, U-con and Stanford (and ND?).

Baylor won't be as much of a problem once Griner graduates...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ooh, very cool. She was touring with the team last Saturday. She was tons of smiles as she walked past our tailgate tent so from our end it looked like things were going well. Welcome to Duke!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Awesome news. Welcome.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I should have mentioned that her final two schools were Duke and Notre Dame. Always good to win a recruiting battle against a conference rival.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Ooh, very cool. She was touring with the team last Saturday. She was tons of smiles as she walked past our tailgate tent so from our end it looked like things were going well. Welcome to Duke!
    I think she looks forward to being able to sample yours and TNTDevil's cooking on a regular basis! I could see her sniffing the air and smiling as she walked by!

Welcome Becca!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

“(Duke) hasn’t won a national championship yet so I want to be a player that helps them win their first one,” Greenwell said.
    Well said Becca, well said! May your dreams come true at Duke!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

she sounds terrific.

and it's impressive that this 6'1" guard averaged 18ppg and 8rpg--as an 8th grader on varsity...

Done with 2013?

Good news indeed. Welcome to Duke, Rebecca!

Can anyone comment on the scholarship situation with the team. I believe this is 2 commits for 2013, with only 1 senior (Allison Vernerey). Any scholarships available for another low post player to apprentice and pair with Elizabeth Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post

Can anyone comment on the scholarship situation with the team. I believe this is 2 commits for 2013, with only 1 senior (Allison Vernerey). Any scholarships available for another low post player to apprentice and pair with Elizabeth Williams?
    Duke should have two scholarships available for next season, with 12 recruited players on the roster this year including the senior Vernerey.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post

Keep in mind that the women are allowed 15 scholarships. Duke still hopes to add a post from this class.

Duke also has a committment from Erin Mathias, a 6-3 player from the class of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I should have mentioned that her final two schools were Duke and Notre Dame. Always good to win a recruiting battle against a conference rival.
    Wow. I'm trying to get my head around hearing "conference rival" applied to Notre Dame for the first time. Weird--but in women's bball terms, also great!

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Joy Cheek

Coach Stafford-Odom is a significantly better basketball mind than Joy is at the moment; however, for those who haven't met Joy, she is one of the most genuine, passionate individuals in all of Duke athletics. She was brought in to help negate the loss of Coach Trish in the recruiting department. She's just gonna keep getting better. Also, with all the scholarships we have out to our upper classmen (Juniors and Sophomores especially) it's hard to bring in a ton of top top talent because they're fearful of playing time, which is a valid concern, we're stacked. The real test to see how we are in recruiting will be our recruiting class that we start bringing in next year. I have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Who are the people in the picture? Please identify.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who are the people in the picture? Please identify.
    Left to Right:
    Tricia Liston
    John Mellencamp
    Rebecca Greenwell
    Meg Ryan