Willie McCovey, RIP

One of baseball's great sluggers.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...legend-dies-80

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For sure. As a Reds fan who grew up in the Big Red Machine era, I hated the Dodgers but feared the Giants more. There was particular mystique to the trio of Mays, McCovey and Bobby Bonds in my early days following baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    For sure. As a Reds fan who grew up in the Big Red Machine era, I hated the Dodgers but feared the Giants more. There was particular mystique to the trio of Mays, McCovey and Bobby Bonds in my early days following baseball.
    For six or so years--including their 1962 NL championship team--the Giants featured Mays, McCovey and Orlando Cepeda, along with Felipe Alou, Ed Bailey, et. al. However, McCovey and Cepeda were both first basemen, with limited OF skills, so the Giants moved Cepeda to the Cardinals, where he helped them to some NL titles.

But they got Ray Sadecki in return. Who didn't help them win and NL titles. Maybe not as bad as Brock for Broglio or Frank Robinson for Pappas. But in the neighborhood.

But for a murder's row trio, it's hard to top Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and Orlando Cepeda.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For six or so years--including their 1962 NL championship team--the Giants featured Mays, McCovey and Orlando Cepeda, along with Felipe Alou, Ed Bailey, et. al. However, McCovey and Cepeda were both first basemen, with limited OF skills, so the Giants moved Cepeda to the Cardinals, where he helped them to some NL titles.

But they got Ray Sadecki in return. Who didn't help them win and NL titles. Maybe not as bad as Brock for Broglio or Frank Robinson for Pappas. But in the neighborhood.

But for a murder's row trio, it's hard to top Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and Orlando Cepeda.
    I'll have to take your word for it (which is easy btw, and stats certainly back it up), as 1969 was my first year really following baseball. Cepeda was - I think - with the Braves at that point, and Mays was definitely in his twilight years but still quite a draw. McCovey still had some prime years left, and Bonds was an exciting and unique newcomer. Maybe not quite the same murderer's row trio, but pretty compelling nonetheless.