Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seven Psychopaths - early review

If you don't mind a little bit of blood splattering about while you laugh, then there is a really funny dark comedy you should check out.

Seven Pychopaths stars Colin Ferrell as a struggling screen writer. He's got a great title for his next film, "Seven Psychopaths", but he can't think of what the story will be or even who the psychopaths are. His best friend, played by Sam Rockwell, can help a bit because Sam is more than a little bit psycho himself. He's a guy who makes his living by kidnapping dogs and then returning them to the owner and colleting the reward. His partner in crime is Christopher Walken, who oozes quirky. The two of them end up crossing paths with a total psycho, Woody Harrellson, who plays a violent gangster who’s dog gets kidnapped. He's not really interested in paying a reward as much as he just wants to kill whoever took his dog.

The movie is full of quirky characters each of whom has a crazier story than the last, but they all are funny and seem really heartfelt. The film takes all kinds of strange twists and turns that may put some people off, but I really enjoyed. There were several points where I thought, "they can't pull all of these insane strings together in a way that makes sense," but I was wrong. It has a strange but very satisfying ending, which is not easy given what a bizarre journey we take with this group of psychos. The extreme blood and violence may turn some people off, but there really isn’t any sense of peril or danger because the violence is really treated in a comedic fashion. The movie was written and directed by the same guy who did a small film called "In Bruges," which had a similar kind of violent but funny feel. If you want a laugh, you could do a lot worse than this.

-Jason "I can't believe what a good few weeks it has been at the theaters! Makes me eager for Skyfall" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is any of the violence or blood related to the dogs?

I can handle people getting mutilated, but not dogs. Or horses.

I am really looking forward to this movie: but then I think I might identify with one or more of the titular characters. I openly laughed in Looper every time a victim was sent back in time and was literally blown away by a looper's blunderbuss.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

I am really looking forward to this movie: but then I think I might identify with one or more of the titular characters. I openly laughed in Looper every time a victim was sent back in time and was literally blown away by a looper's blunderbuss.
    Goodness no! They take great pains to protect the animals. A gun is held to a dog's head at one point, but no one pulls the trigger.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was about the top of the athletics administration and "academic" counseling at uNC. Finally had to see what it was about, and my first thought perfectly matched this second post. Thanks to Jason for clarifying later in the thread. There was a Colin Farrell movie a year or two ago where someone kills the dog, and I stopped the movie immediately. Wasn't much of a film before that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you don't mind a little bit of blood splattering about while you laugh, then there is a really funny dark comedy you should check out.

Seven Pychopaths stars Colin Ferrell as a struggling screen writer. He's got a great title for his next film, "Seven Psychopaths", but he can't think of what the story will be or even who the psychopaths are. His best friend, played by Sam Rockwell, can help a bit because Sam is more than a little bit psycho himself. He's a guy who makes his living by kidnapping dogs and then returning them to the owner and colleting the reward. His partner in crime is Christopher Walken, who oozes quirky. The two of them end up crossing paths with a total psycho, Woody Harrellson, who plays a violent gangster who’s dog gets kidnapped. He's not really interested in paying a reward as much as he just wants to kill whoever took his dog.

The movie is full of quirky characters each of whom has a crazier story than the last, but they all are funny and seem really heartfelt. The film takes all kinds of strange twists and turns that may put some people off, but I really enjoyed. There were several points where I thought, "they can't pull all of these insane strings together in a way that makes sense," but I was wrong. It has a strange but very satisfying ending, which is not easy given what a bizarre journey we take with this group of psychos. The extreme blood and violence may turn some people off, but there really isn’t any sense of peril or danger because the violence is really treated in a comedic fashion. The movie was written and directed by the same guy who did a small film called "In Bruges," which had a similar kind of violent but funny feel. If you want a laugh, you could do a lot worse than this.

-Jason "I can't believe what a good few weeks it has been at the theaters! Makes me eager for Skyfall" Evans
    Okay, I know nothing about Seven Psychopaths but I just saw In Bruges on a plane. Wow, dark. Still not sure if I liked the film or not. But definitely different.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Okay, I know nothing about Seven Psychopaths but I just saw In Bruges on a plane. Wow, dark. Still not sure if I liked the film or not. But definitely different.
    Oooh, that must mean several litres of Belgian ales are on the horizon for reviews and posting on Ymm, Beer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Oooh, that must mean several litres of Belgian ales are on the horizon for reviews and posting on Ymm, Beer.
    image.jpg

Just getting ready for a trip to Bruges.

image.jpg

Just getting ready for a trip to Bruges.
    I haven't had any Westmalles in probably 15-20 years (my fault/loss). They are outstanding. The Gouden Carolus looks decadent. Bring one of those back for me. I've never seen one in the US.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I haven't had any Westmalles in probably 15-20 years (my fault/loss). They are outstanding. The Gouden Carolus looks decadent. Bring one of those back for me. I've never seen one in the US.
    I actually got that locally. Hope to see you at a bowl game before my trip, I’ll being a bomber. It is wicked good.

Has anyone seen In Bruges? Really torn on it. Funny, vile, beautiful, violent, weird.

...Has anyone seen In Bruges? Really torn on it. Funny, vile, beautiful, violent, weird.
    You said it! Really leaves an odd taste.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I actually got that locally. Hope to see you at a bowl game before my trip, I’ll being a bomber. It is wicked good.

Has anyone seen In Bruges? Really torn on it. Funny, vile, beautiful, violent, weird.
    I enjoyed it, but that should speak volumes about my personality.

The writing is alternately subtle and blunt, making you feel like you understand the characters. There is NEVER a sense of "I've seen this before" or "I see where this is going." There is humor, wit, suspense and pathos.

The acting is top-notch, albeit dialed back from what it could have been - which fits with the directors vision. I may be overly influenced by the final scene, but I thought the directing was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You said it! Really leaves an odd taste.
    I enjoyed it, but that should speak volumes about my personality.

The writing is alternately subtle and blunt, making you feel like you understand the characters. There is NEVER a sense of "I've seen this before" or "I see where this is going." There is humor, wit, suspense and pathos.

The acting is top-notch, albeit dialed back from what it could have been - which fits with the directors vision. I may be overly influenced by the final scene, but I thought the directing was terrific.
    Thanks, I agree with both of these takes.

Thanks, I agree with both of these takes.
    Same here. I'd also add that it's a terrible date film if your S.O. doesn't like f-bombs (more than one a minute!) or depictions of violence. If, for you, those aren't automatic disqualifiers, you may find it a truly wondrous and strange brew that (amazingly) avoids being uneven. Stunning visuals, the coarsest of language, heart-rending pathos, dark humor, and bitter irony.

Fun fact: Ken is played by Domhnall Gleeson's father, Brendan.

It's not flawless, but I probably ought not spoil anything with my quibbles. Overall it's worth a watch, unless, as I said, you're in the wrong company.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Same here. I'd also add that it's a terrible date film if your S.O. doesn't like f-bombs (more than one a minute!) or depictions of violence. If, for you, those aren't automatic disqualifiers, you may find it a truly wondrous and strange brew that (amazingly) avoids being uneven. Stunning visuals, the coarsest of language, heart-rending pathos, dark humor, and bitter irony.

Fun fact: Ken is played by Domhnall Gleeson's father, Brendan.

It's not flawless, but I probably ought not spoil anything with my quibbles. Overall it's worth a watch, unless, as I said, you're in the wrong company.
    I'm the wrong company, then, never mind my date. I don't like repetitive use of the F-bomb at all. It really turns me off. I think sometimes it is used so unnecessarily, too, which is annoying. In addition, I'm not a fan of violent films.

Guess I won't be seeing this one, or 7 psychopaths.

Carry on.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

It says something about the collective taste of this board that one of the longest movie threads of the year (about an individual film) is about a 6 year old film that grossed $15 million in total and then morphed into a side discussion about a 10 year old film that made all of $7 mil in ticket sales.

We are an unusual bunch... I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm the wrong company, then, never mind my date. I don't like repetitive use of the F-bomb at all. It really turns me off. I think sometimes it is used so unnecessarily, too, which is annoying. In addition, I'm not a fan of violent films.

Guess I won't be seeing this one, or 7 psychopaths.

Carry on.
    I'm not offended by repeated F-Bombs, but it tells me that the screen writers aren't terribly creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I'm not offended by repeated F-Bombs, but it tells me that the screen writers aren't terribly creative.
    It was over the top and unnecessary, causing the word to lose its shock power. Consider the following quote:

How can swans not be somebody's thing, eh?
    This quote has been stripped of three instances of the same word, all ending in -ing.

This next one was kind of funny, too - the character quotes himself, but (surprisingly) removes the offending word from the quote, which appeared before the word "object" and also ended in -ing.

I'm sorry for calling you an inanimate object. I was upset.
    I actually found the dialogue pretty clever when ignoring the excessive profanity. Hard to ignore when cringing on behalf of your S.O., however. But that was my 2nd viewing. First time (when I watched alone) I didn't notice so much.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    This quote has been stripped of three instances of the same word, all ending in -ing.
    Michael Lewis's first book, Liar's Poker, talks about this "language issue" (rampant on Wall Street) in the context of a character he calls the "Human Piranha" (see below). Great book and, as I can attest from personal experience, very accurate.

Snip20181029_1.jpg

Rewatched In Bruges last night, with Mrs.Pk and SonPK sewing it for the first time. Big hit, and I liked it better the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    His partner in crime is Christopher Walken, who oozes quirky.
    Perhaps the oddest bit of performing art I have ever seen was Christopher Walken as the title character in Shakespeare's Coriolanus. NYC. 1980s. Sort of modern dress. Walken was the sneering head of a biker gang, itching for a rumble. That's quirky. Thank you, Steven Berkoff. Thank you, Joseph Papp.