Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Student/Fan Interaction at Wallace Wade

Trying to think of a few creative things to do to get everyone involved at Wallace Wade in two weeks. Even if we can fill the student section up to capacity, students alone can't make enough noise to create a hostile atmosphere in Wade. We need everyone in the stadium to do that, so we need simple cheers or things to yell back-and-forth aside from just making noise. Members of the Inferno and the Tailgate Team are meeting this evening to nail down some ways to have the best possible atmosphere for the game.

For starters, we definitely need something similar to "We Are! Penn State!" or "Let's Go! Hokies!" as a call and response among fans. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Personally, I hate call-and-response cheers (especially "We are...[insert school name here]"). It seems to me that some of the basketball cheers, with which we all certainly possess a degree of familiarity, would be fairly easily adaptable to Wally Wade.
    If ever a cheer sheet were needed, this would appear to be the time. While people pretty much know what to expect in Cameron, we're still in the process of building a football fanbase along with the program, so I'd think that students, alums, and community fans alike could use a bit of coaching here.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Trying to think of a few creative things to do to get everyone involved at Wallace Wade in two weeks. Even if we can fill the student section up to capacity, students alone can't make enough noise to create a hostile atmosphere in Wade. We need everyone in the stadium to do that, so we need simple cheers or things to yell back-and-forth aside from just making noise. Members of the Inferno and the Tailgate Team are meeting this evening to nail down some ways to have the best possible atmosphere for the game.

For starters, we definitely need something similar to "We Are! Penn State!" or "Let's Go! Hokies!" as a call and response among fans. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    I'll be honest the chants of Let's Go Duke pretty much sent chills through me. To me that is all you need.

we could go with a Dr. Chandler homage: Here comes - Duke

I second the "Let's go Duke" cheer as a mainstay in football, too -- last weekend, it also gave me chills. I would love it even more if it stayed at least semi-slow and ominous instead of becoming a race. One which I, sadly, will never win. It just burns out so fast.

There were some really enthusiastic people behind me last weekend who kept trying to get a Blue Devils call/response cheer going, and were successful once. I'll yell anything needed, but I have to admit, it makes it harder to mock UNC for their idiotic Tar! Heels! cheer if we're doing something similar. So, my preference would be something else that is slow and sustainable.

Any chance that some students would spend at least part of the game in the employee section to get people going over there? Usually I feel like an idiot because I'm yelling my head off (along with my game-time partner in crime) in a fairly silent place. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    I second the "Let's go Duke" cheer as a mainstay in football, too -- last weekend, it also gave me chills. I would love it even more if it stayed at least semi-slow and ominous instead of becoming a race. One which I, sadly, will never win. It just burns out so fast.

There were some really enthusiastic people behind me last weekend who kept trying to get a Blue Devils call/response cheer going, and were successful once. I'll yell anything needed, but I have to admit, it makes it harder to mock UNC for their idiotic Tar! Heels! cheer if we're doing something similar. So, my preference would be something else that is slow and sustainable.

Any chance that some students would spend at least part of the game in the employee section to get people going over there? Usually I feel like an idiot because I'm yelling my head off (along with my game-time partner in crime) in a fairly silent place. Just a thought.
    1) That's the problem with a lot of basketball cheers. We're working on getting the students to slooooow them down, but then a new crop of freshmen come in every year and the status quo gets shaken up (to no fault of anyone in particular). We'll likely distribute cheer sheets to ensure slowness. I can print extras and give them out to non-students as well

2) I could definitely get a group together to sit in the employee section if there are some empty seats or something. There's a very active (small, however) group of students who are working on this stuff.

I would think a nice cheer in Swahili might go over well.

Stolen from PDDuke85

As PDDuke85 said in another thread, one cheer for unc-cheat could be "Academic . . . Fraud", with pointing to Duke for "academic", and pointing to unc-cheat for "fraud". (Sorry, I don't know how to import quotes from one thread to another - and I'm too old/stubborn to learn.)

This of course could be changed back to the more standard basketball chant of "Class . . . No Class", which considering unc-cheat's recent history of no-show classes would carry even more meaning.

Whatever cheers are started, be assured that I will participate.

Thanks!
    boing boing boing boing PASS whooooooaaaahhhhhhhh TOUCHDOWN

that doesn't translate so well to football now does it
    1200. DDMF.

1) That's the problem with a lot of basketball cheers. We're working on getting the students to slooooow them down, but then a new crop of freshmen come in every year and the status quo gets shaken up (to no fault of anyone in particular). We'll likely distribute cheer sheets to ensure slowness. I can print extras and give them out to non-students as well

2) I could definitely get a group together to sit in the employee section if there are some empty seats or something. There's a very active (small, however) group of students who are working on this stuff.
    This could also be the chance to develop some football-specific traditions. The keys on kickoffs never seemed to do a lot to pump up the student section...that should be the time to make a lot of noise and get the team pumped up and the stadium rocking. Maybe coupled with something visual, like waving a cap/hand or raising the roof...something other than the keys.

Football season could be how we slow the cheers down. If we can get people to learn that now, maybe that could carry over to Cameron as well. But I agree with the rest in that slow, simple cheers that can spread quickly and be loud are what we need.

The "You Let The Whole Team Down" chant came through very clear on TV and it always cracks me up when I hear it in Cameron. If that was a tad bit slower, that could definitely spread like wildfire amongst the non-student crowd.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    After FIU scored their last TD late in our first game, I loved the students' "does-nt-matter" chant. I was across the stadium and laughing hard at that one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    There was one instance early in the game that the students started the Let's Go Duke cheer, but like you said it sped up and faded pretty fast. Then later in the second half, there was another Let's go Duke and it seemed to be coming from the middle, or the sections in front of the press box. This cheer was louder and slower and easier to follow. Now maybe the students started it and the other fans took it over, I don't know, but it was impressive however it started. I was across the field from the students in section 11. I think the key to replicating that is to keep it a steady pace instead of the accelerating pace. This allows the crowds to pick up on it and join in. In Cameron it is a much more intimate setting and easier for fans to pick up on cheers. In Wallace Wade, people are a lot more spread out so it takes longer for the cheers to spread. As annoying as it is, the tar-heel chant works so well because it stays at a slow, predictive pace. I see no reason why we can't keep a steady 'Let's Go Duke' chant, allowing it to get loud and maintain intensity. I'm sure our players on the field would greatly appreciate it.

Native, thanks for caring. I think you're on the right track with the idea to keep it simple.

In that spirit ...

1. "Let's Go Duke."

2. For those of age and who choose to do so, drink just a bit beforehand (not too much).

3. I like the keys on the kickoff -- showed up at my first Duke game in the mid-1980s and it was happening then, and don't know how long it had been going on, but like the idea of continuity, and reaching back to the past.

4. Just make a lot of noise on big defensive plays and when one of our exciting playmakers makes a play.

5. Sing along to the songs: "Fight, Fight Blue Devils" ... "Blue & White" ... "Devil With a Blue Dress" ... "Dear Old Duke" ... that would be really cool.

To me, that's about all that's needed. Cheer sheets not necessary. You and your brethren are clever and funny and if somebody starts something clever and funny, it'll spread like wildfire. Trust yourself. No need to write it down beforehand. (f you're going to write down anything, pass out the words to the songs.)

Just getting the folks in there and making general noise will be great and the rest will take care of itself.

I think it is great that you guys are being proactive with this. Football games can be a huge part of college life and now with a football team that is winning hopefully it brings out more fans to support. And Duke needs its students first and foremost to be at the front of the line. The best advise I can give is just be loud and get things started. Great chants don't have to be long or complex. Think Alabama or Notre Dame on kickoffs. A simple Let's Go Duke would do just nicely in place of Roll Tide or Go Irish.

A lot of basketball chants won't translate to a bigger stadium and one that is open so it is best to just clap and keep cheers simple and loud. Football is situational too so knowing when to get loud is key. Again I'm glad to see the students are getting this thing cranked up and getting excited about football. Weather is too nice on Saturdays not to show up and cheer on the new and improved Duke Football team.

And a good old fashion GTHC chant when the muddy feets come to down never gets old.

Keep It Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I'll be honest the chants of Let's Go Duke pretty much sent chills through me. To me that is all you need.
    I agree with M. Kline. "Duke" is a very simple word and lends itself to simple and powerful cheers.

Let's GO DUKE!!!!

--rising in pitch and volume may be the best one of all.

sagegrouse

11F

11f! 11f! 11f!

Is there something wrong with "Rip 'em up! Tear 'em up! Give 'em Hell, Duke!"? I thought it was a mainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Is there something wrong with "Rip 'em up! Tear 'em up! Give 'em Hell, Duke!"? I thought it was a mainstay.
    Again very simple and already part of the culture. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    THAT is a football cheer!

Back when football was still pretty big at Duke, there were football cheers. Here are a few that quickly come to mind.

Fumble play! Fumble play! We want a fumble play!

Up the field Big Blue, up the field!

DE---FENSE! (It's all in the cadence.)

TD! pause Touchdown! pause TD!

If you want something in call and response, in the past we have used: call BLUE! response White!

Between now and then watch football games played by schools with football traditions and you might pick up other football cheers. Google football cheers and see what you find. Go to the web pages of storied programs and see what sort of football cheers have stood the test of time. Your research may offer some inspiration. (Begin by studying a good model.)

We need a cheer about the Victory Bell. Our house! Our bell! (Or something else more clever!)

Cheer the players' names when they make big plays. (Like we did for Conner Vernon last Saturday.)

Air ball
    could be something positive in football...think of making a long pass or a difficult pass.

The best way to create cheers is to think of points in game action where cheers fit and would encourage the team.

But most importantly, learn the words to our songs! We have two fight songs and an alma mater. You want to give people chills? All of us singing those songs together filling the stadium can make it truly Our House!

Here's a link to the words for our songs: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&ATCLID=242332