Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Football, Cutcliffe Envy at Kentucky

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=119624
    Usually a lot of B'ball chatter here, but with the woes of the football team eyes are looking elsewhere. A friend who played at UK says they have the worst facilities in the SEC. Put money here not take Coach Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by sbpollo View Post
    http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=119624
    Usually a lot of B'ball chatter here, but with the woes of the football team eyes are looking elsewhere. A friend who played at UK says they have the worst facilities in the SEC. Put money here not take Coach Cut.
    Cut passed up probably the one job he would have left duke for....i would put his chances of leaving for UK at ~0...conservatively
    1200. DDMF.

If the WWWildcats made the same offer to Cutcliffe that was made to John Wall, Cutcliffe may reconsider.

Otherwise, agreed with the above. Cutcliffe will retire a Blue Devil, and we'll both be all the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Cutcliffe will retire a Blue Devil, and we'll both be all the better for it.
    I agree that Cutcliffe wouldn't leave for Kentucky right now. But my understanding of the Cutcliffe's response to the Tennessee situation a couple years ago was that he isn't going to leave Duke YET because he had come to leave the program better than he found it and make a fundamental change, and that the job had not been completed yet.

But now, facilities have been improved exponentially, a stadium upgrade is on the way, and there's a good chance of a bowl this year. I think you could make the argument that a job is done (maybe not "the" job, but an impressive job nonetheless) and who knows, maybe if a job at an SEC school pops up again in a year or two, he will entertain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    If the WWWildcats made the same offer to Cutcliffe that was made to John Wall, Cutcliffe may reconsider.

Otherwise, agreed with the above. Cutcliffe will retire a Blue Devil, and we'll both be all the better for it.
    Coach Cutcliffe is part of the Wallace Wade coaching tree. He's got a complex opportunity at Duke to create a legacy and join the master coach in making history.

Quote Originally Posted by DueBlevil View Post
    I agree that Cutcliffe wouldn't leave for Kentucky right now. But my understanding of the Cutcliffe's response to the Tennessee situation a couple years ago was that he isn't going to leave Duke YET because he had come to leave the program better than he found it and make a fundamental change, and that the job had not been completed yet.

But now, facilities have been improved exponentially, a stadium upgrade is on the way, and there's a good chance of a bowl this year. I think you could make the argument that a job is done (maybe not "the" job, but an impressive job nonetheless) and who knows, maybe if a job at an SEC school pops up again in a year or two, he will entertain it.
    If Cut didn't leave then for what he admitted was his dream job, I doubt he goes anywhere else. When he made that decision, I think he essentially decided in his mind that he would stay at Duke as long as Duke would have him. And, at this point, I think we'll have him for a long time.

Premature, much? First, premature for Kentucky to be talking, because we've only played five games. Our season is far from over and while we can see success down the road, we haven't achieved it yet. So the KY people do not yet even have a season on which start the speculation.

Second, if it's premature for the KY folks to begin their speculation, it's darn sure premature for us to get into 'worry' mode, no matter what the (low) likelihood of Cut being solicited might be.

This KY stuff should be ignored as the mumblings of a wannabe who doesn't have the desire or capability to even know what it wants. Let's give KY what it deserves and pay no attention whatsoever to their internal whining. Shut this thread down by not participating further.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    First, premature for Kentucky to be talking, because we've only played five games.
    Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Premature, much? First, premature for Kentucky to be talking, because we've only played five games. Our season is far from over and while we can see success down the road, we haven't achieved it yet. So the KY people do not yet even have a season on which start the speculation.

Second, if it's premature for the KY folks to begin their speculation, it's darn sure premature for us to get into 'worry' mode, no matter what the (low) likelihood of Cut being solicited might be.

This KY stuff should be ignored as the mumblings of a wannabe who doesn't have the desire or capability to even know what it wants. Let's give KY what it deserves and pay no attention whatsoever to their internal whining. Shut this thread down by not participating further.
    Agreed.

Coach Cut's loyalty has been well documented. And while nothing is set in stone, if you read between the lines the sort of commitment to football that Duke just announced would seem to reinforce our side of the bargain.

- Chillin

The disagreement with Tennessee was over the staff. Cutcliffe made it clear when he took the job that there were two he would definitely leave for.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    The disagreement with Tennessee was over the staff. Cutcliffe made it clear when he took the job that there were two he would definitely leave for.
    Those 2 being Tenn and ALA? I could see Cut being very loyal to Duke and finishing his career in Durham and this year is not over. After 1st weekend of OCT 2011 we were 3-2 and we all know had it finished up but in one way a good thing for BCS schools to be going after Cut that means we are winning!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil549 View Post
    Those 2 being Tenn and ALA? I could see Cut being very loyal to Duke and finishing his career in Durham and this year is not over. After 1st weekend of OCT 2011 we were 3-2 and we all know had it finished up but in one way a good thing for BCS schools to be going after Cut that means we are winning!!!!!!
    Yep. Tenn and 'Bama are reportedly the only two Cutcliffe would consider leaving Duke for - I haven't heard him say he's guaranteed to leave (clearly, since he rebuffed Tenn). But, yeah, Cutcliffe is also very loyal to his staff and any school that hires him must hire his staff as well, which apparently was a sticking point in the TN negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep. Tenn and 'Bama are reportedly the only two Cutcliffe would consider leaving Duke for - I haven't heard him say he's guaranteed to leave (clearly, since he rebuffed Tenn). But, yeah, Cutcliffe is also very loyal to his staff and any school that hires him must hire his staff as well, which apparently was a sticking point in the TN negotiations.
    IF Cutcliffe stays around for the foreseeable future, like I think he will, AND we have the success with the program he's building that we all hope he has, then it wouldn't surprise me, say 10 years from now, that our soon to be remodeled WW Stadium gets a second name for the field - Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. After all, he's as responsible as anyone for getting the field modifications pushed through, and he's certainly responsible for the product that plays upon it!

Premature to talk about this seriously? Absolutely. But to mention it as a future possibility? No reason not to. If the program goes nowhere, then it's a moot point anyway.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

As is true in any high profile job, success breeds job offers (and certainly job rumors on message boards).

This is a MUCH better problem than when Cut was considering the Tennessee job, and we seemed to conclude that there were no qualified coaches in the United States who would take the Duke football job if he left.

Cutcliffe Calculus

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    As is true in any high profile job, success breeds job offers (and certainly job rumors on message boards).

This is a MUCH better problem than when Cut was considering the Tennessee job, and we seemed to conclude that there were no qualified coaches in the United States who would take the Duke football job if he left.
    Here are factors that will weigh --

He is 58YO. One "start over" (at Duke) may be enough, and a school like Kentucky may be better advised to look for a younger candidate.

Cutcliffe has no record of job-hopping, unlike other college coaches. He left UTenn twice -- both for head-coaching gigs.

Cut is exceptionally loyal to staff, which is why he got fired at Ole Miss. Heck, he'd not only insist on bringing everyone but he might also take a vote.

Cut has spent a lot of time building up his and the Blue Devil brand in the south and southeast -- I think he is personally invested in Duke, and vice versa.

I believe the AD and administration has said that he's their guy, as long as he wants to coach. That goes a long way with coaches.

I don't see a move for money -- Duke would match other offers.

sagegrouse
    'Whistling past the graveyard? I don't think so, but...'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    IF Cutcliffe stays around for the foreseeable future, like I think he will, AND we have the success with the program he's building that we all hope he has.
    Stop there!
    Seriously. We of course have no idea what his intentions are, but I do know one thing regardless of how the rest of this season plays out. No other coach in the last 20 years has energized the football program in the way that Cutcliffe has. He knows that, I'm sure. I think he also knows that if (once) he achieves the success in Durham that he is looking for, honestly he will never be able to match that change anywhere else. That doesn't mean he wouldn't leave...but if he does he would be leaving Duke in a far, far better state than when he got here. That will not happen in any other school. Not by a long shot.
    And IF he does ever leave for another school, it will be with my sincere thanks.

Psst. He's gonna retire a Dukie. Pass it on.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I REALLY hope Cutcliffe decides to stay. Every interaction I've had with him has made me respect him a little more, and the man seems to believe in the future of the program more than the most optimistic people on this board. I think his not leaving for Tennessee was a big demonstration of his commitment to his staff and to Duke.

As an extension, I hope we have reason to create a bronze likeness of him to hang out with Wallace Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    If Cut didn't leave then for what he admitted was his dream job, I doubt he goes anywhere else. When he made that decision, I think he essentially decided in his mind that he would stay at Duke as long as Duke would have him. And, at this point, I think we'll have him for a long time.

I sure hope he stays! I don't usually watch any football, and certainly haven't been drawn to our efforts previously, but I've watched the last two games, and the coaching was amazing! Hey, sorry to be a fair weather fan, but, I'm hooked now~~!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by comdytrd View Post
    I sure hope he stays! I don't usually watch any football, and certainly haven't been drawn to our efforts previously, but I've watched the last two games, and the coaching was amazing! Hey, sorry to be a fair weather fan, but, I'm hooked now~~!
    At least until we get to a bowl game or beat a top-tier ACC squad, I would say the bandwagon isn't closing soon.

Trust me, I've been supervising the Washington Nationals bandwagon for 7 years. It's a similar feeling, longevity aside.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here are factors that will weigh --

He is 58YO. One "start over" (at Duke) may be enough, and a school like Kentucky may be better advised to look for a younger candidate.

Cutcliffe has no record of job-hopping, unlike other college coaches. He left UTenn twice -- both for head-coaching gigs.

Cut is exceptionally loyal to staff, which is why he got fired at Ole Miss. Heck, he'd not only insist on bringing everyone but he might also take a vote.

Cut has spent a lot of time building up his and the Blue Devil brand in the south and southeast -- I think he is personally invested in Duke, and vice versa.

I believe the AD and administration has said that he's their guy, as long as he wants to coach. That goes a long way with coaches.

I don't see a move for money -- Duke would match other offers.

sagegrouse
    'Whistling past the graveyard? I don't think so, but...'
    I have some friends who are/were very close to the program when the Tenn job was offered up and many don't realize just how close he was to taking the job, not to any surprise, perhaps. The main sticking point was the Tenn AD wanted Cut and also wanted to keep a large portion of the Tenn staff including O and D Coordinators (I believe both) instead of allowing Cut to bring his staff from Duke with him - think it had to do with turnover as well as money. Cut actually flew out to Tenn the night before he announced that he'd be staying at Duke to try and negotiate one more time, with it not working out based on what I wrote above.

This said, he came back to Duke and told us all that he and his staff were building something here and the job required more committment and more years to 'leave it much better off than when he came.' Now that Duke Football seems to be advancing on a constructive (all puns intended) path I just don't see him going anywhere...unless by chance Tenn and Ala come calling but even then it's not going to be the same as last time now that he's putting his stamp on the program, so to speak.

Any time a coach does an admirable job by (re)'building' a program he's going to get interest from schools like KY who many would see as a step up, but from what I know through meeting Cut numerous times and through those close to the program he has embraced the culture of excellence around the Duke campus and more than anything he absolutely loves the kind of kids that come to Duke to play, more so than at a huge SEC school where the "Four F's" could be his student's 1st semester grades as not the tenants on which he continues to build DUke Football in the 21st Century.

We love you Cut!!