Where to sit at Lane Stadium

Can anyone give any advice on where to sit at Lane Stadium this Saturday? I am thinking either something close to the 50 yard line behind the team or trying to find the visitor's section. (I'll purchase on stubhub.) From what I can tell Duke fans will be centered in section 19. (that is the far right of this photo http://www.hokiesports.com/reseat/seating.html). Is that correct? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke_92 View Post
    Can anyone give any advice on where to sit at Lane Stadium this Saturday? I am thinking either something close to the 50 yard line behind the team or trying to find the visitor's section. (I'll purchase on stubhub.) From what I can tell Duke fans will be centered in section 19. (that is the far right of this photo http://www.hokiesports.com/reseat/seating.html). Is that correct? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Anywhere there are Duke blue shirts. Not a place to sit with the enemy, especially the student section. Not Maryland bad or anything, but still not a good idea.
    CB&B has attended games up there I think, and may can offer good suggestions.

VT fans = very respectful, in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Anywhere there are Duke blue shirts. Not a place to sit with the enemy, especially the student section. Not Maryland bad or anything, but still not a good idea.
    I've been to 3 of Duke's last 4 games in Blacksburg. Have found their fans to be extremely welcoming and respectful. About as far from Maryland fans as I can imagine, and I was shocked to see them even mentioned in the same breath. I've been to games at Maryland and won't go back. I've seen Duke at UVa, Md, VT, Army, Navy, UNC, Northwestern, South Carolina, and Notre Dame and found the VT fans as friendly as any and as football savvy as any.

If you sit in the visitor alloted section, make sure you take sunblock. I got a nasty combo sun/wind burn one year there. Nice views of the mountains from that side. If the 50 is an option, go the 50, obviously. I wouldn't go too high -- half way up is good.
    Last edited by Reilly; 10-07-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've been to 3 of Duke's last 4 games in Blacksburg. Have found their fans to be extremely welcoming and respectful. About as far from Maryland fans as I can imagine, and I was shocked to see them even mentioned in the same breath. I've been to games at Maryland and won't go back. I've seen Duke at UVa, Md, VT, Army, Navy, UNC, Northwestern, South Carolina, and Notre Dame and found the VT fans as friendly as any and as football savvy as any.

If you sit in the visitor alloted section, make sure you take sunblock. I got a nasty combo sun/wind burn one year there. Nice views of the mountains from that side. If the 50 is an option, go the 50, obviously. I wouldn't go too high -- half way up is good.
    Stadium is extremely high. We sat in row "5P" one time. Not until I went in did I realize that meant they went through the alphabet 5 times (e.g. A, AA, AAA, AAAA, AAAAA) before getting to 5P. Crowds are definitely big. Duke typically sits on the visitor side in the right corner, opposite where the team comes out, so sit there if you want company. Otherwise, take the best seat you can get. Fans are nice, but they do love their football, so don't expect any sympathty

I would sit as close to the field as possible, no matter the section. Also, rent a seat on the way in from the Army ROTC guys and support their cadets.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I bought tix on stubhub..they looked like they would have been ok, but I got gifted from DevilDeac and was able to use tickets his cheerleader daughter had access to. So we sat with the parents very close to the field. I was most excited that the stubhub tickets came with a parking pass, so that made our tailgating prospects sweet..until we realized that even with the nice prime spot we got, it was still a 20 minute walk to the stadium, haha.

I really don't think you can get a bad seat in Lane..it's a very nice stadium all the way around. Just be prepared for the annoying "gobble-gobble-gobble" every time Duke is facing third down. Ugh, most annoying thing I have ever heard at an away game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My son goes there and I have been to quite a few games over the past few years. As mentioned above there is not a bad seat in Lane Stadium. The fans should be very respectful and have always been that way to me.

If you want the full experience the 20 minute walk is well worth it if you pass by the drill field (about 1 hr before the game). If you do that you will be able to see the corp of cadets marching to the game. Follow them over and then you will be able to see the Marching Virginians enter the stadium.

I hope Duke wins but if it does get loud and exciting and the VT fans start jumping up and down you will be able to feel the entire stadium shake. I was at last years VT/Miami game and when VT scored at the end of the game and that is exactly what happened. Win or lose you will have a great college football experience.

Thanks

Thanks for all the comments. Sounds like we can't go wrong for the most part. I'll probably try to stay away from the student sections, but I'm still looking for the right combination price, view and closeness to Duke team/fans. I'm an economist so I think way too much about trying to maximize my utility! I'll definitely get there for some of the pregame festivities. Those were certainly the highlight of our trip to Notre Dame a few years ago.

I'm hoping this will be a historic day.

Go Devils.

I've only been to Lane Stadium once(4/5 years ago, VT vs. Furman) and sat pretty high up in the stadium. It's a pretty sweet venue and kinda wish I'd gone back...here's to a Devils W this weekend!