Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 419
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Dates added.

    Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.
    The food might be good in Shreveport.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thanks for the breakdown, nice job. My two favorite options for completely personal and greedy reasons are The Belk Bowl and the Military Bowl. (Not including the very higher ups because we haven't even gotten #6 yet.) Charlotte would be nice and close, and RFK is a great stadium..also with access to a nice sized local Duke fan base. Both are easily travelable. Nashville would be ok, it would be fun to see Cut "go home" and play there with a Duke team. Shreveport...bleah, too far. I'll set my tv outside next to my grill.
    Great breakdown Olympic. We need to remember that Duke is still likely an underdog for every remaining game. But with six games remaining, it seems highly probable that we go bowling. I just wouldn't quite book reservations to Miami for early-January just yet...

    Three weeks ago I'd have had much lower expectations of our chances vs. VPI and GT. But right now only FSU and Clemson maybe look like they're out of reach. But UNC and Miami at home, and games at VPI and GT certainly seem possible now. Still hoping for a win over VPI, but how sweet would that be to clinch the first bowl in 18 years over bowl-suspended UNC at home??!

    Here's a nice CNN/SI snippet very favorable to Cut and to Duke: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nia-bcs/3.html Like Cameron, the only one I'm not hoping for is Shreveport. Next tier up is Military and Tire Bowl (Charlotte). Any others would be awesome in my mind!

    Feinstein has a piece up today on page two of the Washington Post Sports section very disdainful of ACC football. In typical JF fashion, ">>>And then there's - gulp - Duke, the only other team along with Miami and Maryland that's unbeaten in conference play. The Blue Devils are 5-1 and 2-0, thanks in part to playing out-of-conference games against Memphis and Florida International (combined record 2-9) and FCS non-power NCCU. The one time the Blue Devils played a real team (Stanford), they lost, 50-13.They have wins over Wake and UVA and there's actually bowl talk in Durham... there's not a game left on the schedule that Duike will be favored to win. Sadly, Duke and Maryland aren't scheduled to play this season - what a battle that game would be." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ff6_story.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    While you are right that Navy gets the Fight Hunger Bowl if they get to six wins, the ACC has first replacement slot if they have eight bowl teams ... the MAC and WAC are next in line.

    Let's look at the situation for the ACC:

    Sure Bowl teams (2): Florida State, Clemson

    Probable Bowl teams (4): Duke, Miami* (unless they stay home due to NCAA issues again), NC State, Virginia Tech (not a lock, especially if they lose to Duke ... but they do finish with BC and Virginia)

    Possible Bowl teams: (4) Maryland (three wins already with Virginia Boston College left ... after that it gets tough -- Georgia Tech maybe -- they finish with Clemson, FSU and UNC), Georgia Tech (put themselves in the hole with two OT losses and the loss to Middle Tennessee. They are are two wins with BC coming up, but after that they have to beat three good teams out of BYU, UNC, Georgia, Duke and Maryland); Virginia (looks bad now at 2-4, but they do have possible wins with Maryland and Wake to get going again); Wake Forest (3-3 now, but they get a gimmie with BC and they have a tossup with Virginia and that gets them close)

    Not Going Bowling: (x): UNC (ineligible), BC (terrible)

    I'm being generous to say that 10 teams are fighting for at least seven and probably eight slots. Not all will make it -- the loser of the Oct. 20 game between Virginia and Wake isn't going bowling. Not sure the winner is, but at least it has a chance.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 10-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    -BDBD

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Dates added.

    Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.
    Carlsbad Caverns is only a few hours away from El Paso. Best I can do, unless you fancy New Year's Eve in Juarez. . . .

    Shriveport, well -- side trip to New Orleans?


    Either way, I'm there if Duke is.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Here's a nice CNN/SI snippet very favorable to Cut and to Duke: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...nia-bcs/3.html
    "Bowl eligibility is the obvious milestone, but Cutcliffe isn't ready to stop there. The Blue Devils are one of only two ACC Costal Division teams that don't yet have a conference loss (the other is Miami) and they're the only one with fewer than two losses on the season. "I think we can win the division," he said. "... I want them to stay hungry for more than [six wins.]""


    Go get 'em Cut!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    No comments from me yet unless the 6th W is recorded. (But anxiously awaiting that Saturday afternoon or evening.) My chicken counter is not working. Yet.

    Not leaving until the game is over.

  6. #26
    Not that I want this to come close to mattering, but it is possible that we have already done enough to make it to a bowl. As per this link http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...fill-the-bowls there are a number of contingencies in case there are not enough bowl eligible teams (this is a particular concern this year due to the continued proliferation of bowl games and the number of ineligible teams - UNC, Penn St., Ohio St.). The last contingency allows teams that are 5-7 which also fall in the top 5 of the APR (the graduation metric that is excluding UConn from next year's bball tourney) to be eligible. Not surprisingly, Duke is one of the top 5.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    I suppose I'm the only one who might want a Shreveport bowl haha. It's the only one within driving distance, and with the bowls all a couple weeks or so before our first child's due date, staying within driving distance of home is, well, important

    I'd be ecstatic with any bowl, so far this season has been a joy to watch unfold

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    I suppose I'm the only one who might want a Shreveport bowl haha. It's the only one within driving distance, and with the bowls all a couple weeks or so before our first child's due date, staying within driving distance of home is, well, important

    I'd be ecstatic with any bowl, so far this season has been a joy to watch unfold
    I actually live in Shreveport (or, as Weezie likes to call it, Shrevepatch). I would love for my alma mater's football team to come to the Independence Bowl, especially after having the 'Holes come down last year. While I realize Shreveport is not high on the list of places to visit over the Christmas holidays, I would love to serve as tour guide for those willing to make the trip. FWIW, Shreveport is a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas and 5hrs from New Orleans. If anyone wants a glimpse of the I-Bowl venue, tune into the game between Texas A&M (#22) and Louisiana Tech (#23) this Sat. night (9pm EST ESPNU).

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I actually live in Shreveport (or, as Weezie likes to call it, Shrevepatch). I would love for my alma mater's football team to come to the Independence Bowl, especially after having the 'Holes come down last year. While I realize Shreveport is not high on the list of places to visit over the Christmas holidays, I would love to serve as tour guide for those willing to make the trip. FWIW, Shreveport is a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas and 5hrs from New Orleans. If anyone wants a glimpse of the I-Bowl venue, tune into the game between Texas A&M (#22) and Louisiana Tech (#23) this Sat. night (9pm EST ESPNU).
    If (and it's a big if) we end up in the Independence Bowl, I think I'll take you up on that offer. I've been to Shreveport several times from Dallas, each time essentially spent inside a barge contributing to the local economy. Outside of that, I know nothing of Shreveport.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    If (and it's a big if) we end up in the Independence Bowl, I think I'll take you up on that offer. I've been to Shreveport several times from Dallas, each time essentially spent inside a barge contributing to the local economy. Outside of that, I know nothing of Shreveport.
    Yes, Jimmy Buffett is building our 6th barge as we speak--I think we have more players from Texas than Louisiana.

  11. #31
    For the record, there are plenty of Duke fans for whom San Francisco is the most viable option.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I actually live in Shreveport (or, as Weezie likes to call it, Shrevepatch). I would love for my alma mater's football team to come to the Independence Bowl, especially after having the 'Holes come down last year. While I realize Shreveport is not high on the list of places to visit over the Christmas holidays, I would love to serve as tour guide for those willing to make the trip. FWIW, Shreveport is a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas and 5hrs from New Orleans. If anyone wants a glimpse of the I-Bowl venue, tune into the game between Texas A&M (#22) and Louisiana Tech (#23) this Sat. night (9pm EST ESPNU).
    Not that Google maps is all that helpful, but it says DFW-Shreveport is 3:40. It also says that Little Rock-Shreveport is 3:40.

    Under all circumstances, Shreveport is one of those places which is hard to get to and hard to get out of.

    Many (read many, many, many) years ago my brand new Corvair broke down there and the Chevy dealership fixed it in a jiffy. Don't ask where I was coming from or where I was going, but the Shreveport people were very nice to me. I bet they're still nice.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Dates added.

    Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.
    Well...in the winter, El Paso is snow-free and pretty warm. Might be a nice break from the cold. Nice view from the mountain tram. There are also two world class steakhouses worth visiting, though one (Billy Crews) is actually in Santa Theresa, New Mexico, about 10 miles from downtown El Paso. The other (Cattlemen's), is 10 miles south of town on a ranch which has many times served as a sound stage.

    If you've a mind to drive, Big Bend National Park is reachable, but plan to spend a few days in the park and in to-and-from travel. Accommodations are limited both in and out of the park. See Study Butte. You could possibly work it into a trip back east across Texas to, say, San Antonio or the south Texas Gulf shore.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    ... Many (read many, many, many) years ago my brand new Corvair broke down there and the Chevy dealership fixed it in a jiffy. Don't ask where I was coming from or where I was going ...
    I was takin' a trip out to LA,
    Toolin' along in my Chevrolet
    Tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio ....
    Last edited by Reilly; 10-09-2012 at 08:40 AM.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's nice to be wanted. From Brett Friedlander.
    I had a conversation with a representative of the Belk Bowl on Sunday while at the Carolina Panthers game doing a story on Russell Wilson’s professional return to North Carolina, and he told me that Duke is at the top of the Charlotte game’s ACC wish list.
    http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/...ive-bowl-draw/
    Mmmm, BBQ!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    For the record, there are plenty of Duke fans for whom San Francisco is the most viable option.
    You got your game for this year! Now just be patient and the team will be back in another 40 years or so...

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Not that Google maps is all that helpful, but it says DFW-Shreveport is 3:40. It also says that Little Rock-Shreveport is 3:40.

    Under all circumstances, Shreveport is one of those places which is hard to get to and hard to get out of.
    I've made that DFW-Shreveport drive in 2.5-3 hours on a few occasions. Just be careful when driving through Monroe, LA, those cops will get you every time. EVERY time.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Well...in the winter, El Paso is snow-free and pretty warm. Might be a nice break from the cold. . . .
    Sorry to take issue with your statement, Jim, but the Sun Bowl game in El Paso has been hit with snow and/or ice several times that I recall -- most recently in 2010:

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/3...ed-in-ice.html

    One of the worst examples -- but most amusing to watch -- was in 1987:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmysPYIBI0

    I'm hoping the Blue Devils continue winning and are rewarded with a bowl game in sunny, snow-free central or south Florida.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Sorry to take issue with your statement, Jim, but the Sun Bowl game in El Paso has been hit with snow and/or ice several times that I recall -- most recently in 2010:

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/3...ed-in-ice.html

    One of the worst examples -- but most amusing to watch -- was in 1987:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmysPYIBI0

    I'm hoping the Blue Devils continue winning and are rewarded with a bowl game in sunny, snow-free central or south Florida.
    I guess those are the exceptions that prove the rule...assuming that even makes sense.

    Still, despite those anomalies, El Paso daytime temps in Dec-Jan are usually in the mid 50s. Warmer in the sun. It is true, I think, that January is their coldest month. Pre-dawn temps can be at freezing.

    And I'm with you, Stray, on South Florida for a bowl. Was only trying to point out that El Paso has some worth--even if I am only giving it faint praise. (Sunglasses for the Sun Bowl)

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I'm hoping the Blue Devils continue winning and are rewarded with a bowl game in sunny, snow-free central or south Florida.
    Is that even possible without Duke winning the Coastal Division?

    I guess Duke will just have to win the division, then.

Similar Threads

  1. NCAAT Selection Process
    By gumbomoop in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 10:24 PM
  2. Is the RPI really an inferior selection tool?
    By Sir Stealth in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
  3. ACC and NCAA Selection
    By MarkD83 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
  4. DBR Selection Sunday chat 1 & 6 pm
    By Deslok in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 12:32 PM
  5. Countdown to Selection Sunday
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •