Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Hard to imagine a bowl would actively seek out a team with a small fan base which had just lost 6 straight games.

Harder to imagine that we would turn down a bowl if one was offered.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Hard to imagine a bowl would actively seek out a team with a small fan base which had just lost 6 straight games.
    This only applies if there are more bowl slots than bowl-eligible teams. Pretty sure any bowl would prefer Duke to cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Wow, tough crowd. There are a lot of benefits to getting to a bowl game even at 5-7. First of all, we can get that "haven't been to a bowl game since 1994" monkey off our back. Say what you will about the current bowl system, I hate that monkey and I don't care if we have to shoot it off with a 5-7 record. Also, we actually get to play in a bowl, and that can only help with our recruiting. If you've seen some of the interviews with recruits, they definitely see Duke as an up-and-comer, and a bowl game would help solidify that impression. Taking small steps each year will help bring us back to a winning tradition.

Of course I'd love it if we could get a win or two down the line to get us to 6-6 or 7-5, but we knew our 2nd half schedule would be tough before the season began. We did our job 1st half, now we need very good execution down the stretch, and maybe some luck, to pick up that extra win or two.
    Good points. Also, if I understand correctly, if you are not going to a bowl, things basically shut down after the last game. A bowl trip allows the team to continue practicing until the game, which can only help with player development for the future. Only downside of a bowl trip is that most of these low tier bowls end up being pretty big money losers, but compared to the amounts they are planning to raise in the capital campaign, that would be a drop in the bucket and a problem I'd love to hsbr.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Good points. Also, if I understand correctly, if you are not going to a bowl, things basically shut down after the last game. A bowl trip allows the team to continue practicing until the game, which can only help with player development for the future. Only downside of a bowl trip is that most of these low tier bowls end up being pretty big money losers, but compared to the amounts they are planning to raise in the capital campaign, that would be a drop in the bucket and a problem I'd love to hsbr.
    Perhaps the most important thing about playing in a bowl at this point in time is the additional practice time allowed. Coach Cutcliffe holds spring practice pretty early in order to get the guys back on the field as soon as possible. He's said from the beginning that the additional practice time granted by a bowl appearance is very important to maintaining and building the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    As important and exciting as a bowl bid might be, the goal to meet first is a winning season.
    Very well put. Let's get it Saturday!

It's over. Perhaps the quickest vigil we've ever had?

Not sure what to do with this thread. Doesn't necessarily need to be locked, as there's still the issue of which bowl (and bowl-eligible doesn't mean we'll necessarily go, right?) Is this now the Bowl Selection Vigil?

Go to hell vigil go to hell! We are going to a bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Not sure what to do with this thread. Doesn't necessarily need to be locked, as there's still the issue of which bowl (and bowl-eligible doesn't mean we'll necessarily go, right?) Is this now the Bowl Selection Vigil?
    I'm thinking Orange

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Go to hell vigil go to hell! We are going to a bowl!
    Whaddaya think??? Maybe the Orange Bowl??? -- sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    I'm thinking Orange
    A burnt orange, no doubt

No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible. And Duke's first bowl since '94-'95 makes for a great storyline. Not to mention, I assume that teams that haven't made it in 18 years probably tend to travel pretty well especially if they get some place Northeast with a Duke alum base.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Whaddaya think??? Maybe the Orange Bowl??? -- sagegrouse
    i LOVE orange!

A burnt orange, no doubt

Yessir!

Personally, I'm rooting for the Music City Bowl because I'm living in Knoxville right now, but we'll probably need another win or two for that.

I agree that the practice time is important, but I think it's just bigger that the program made it over the hurdle. I think getting this close and not making would have ended up being a step backward despite the better record and play. You can just see how much it means to these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible. And Duke's first bowl since '94-'95 makes for a great storyline. Not to mention, I assume that teams that haven't made it in 18 years probably tend to travel pretty well especially if they get some place Northeast with a Duke alum base.
    If we finish with 7 or 8 wins, my guess is we probably go to the Belk Bowl. All 3 Duke fans living in Charlotte will be elated.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    If we finish with 7 or 8 wins, my guess is we probably go to the Belk Bowl. All 3 Duke fans living in Charlotte will be elated.
    Yeah, I'm sure they'd prefer to take a NC team. It'll be interesting to see if Duke can jump some teams in conference for the bowls because its Duke and they haven't been there in so long. As mentioned, the Belk is in NC, the Music City bowl might be able to pit Vandy versus Duke so you'd have all those comparisons, and the Military Bowl gives you Washington, DC with a pretty large alumni base.

No way, Duke gets passed over. They loosened the rules so 5-7 teams can be bowl eligible.
    I don't think so, did they? I know UCLA had to request a waiver last year, and when I looked at the NCAA guidelines (after a previous incorrect post on my part) they still identify a .500 requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I don't think so, did they? I know UCLA had to request a waiver last year, and when I looked at the NCAA guidelines (after a previous incorrect post on my part) they still identify a .500 requirement.
    As indicated earlier in this thread, only FIVE teams in the entire Division I FBS can be bowl eligible at 5-7 and that's only if there are still available spots after giving first option to the 6-6/6-7 teams. This is determined by the top five APR teams in the nation.

The top five APR teams this season are Northwestern, Duke, Boise State, Ohio St (not eligible for other reasons) and Northern Illinois.
    http://www.cbssports.com/general/blo...fill-the-bowls

Those are the only teams that could conceivably be eligible for a bowl with only 5 wins, but it would have still been unlikely. In any event, we don't have to worry about that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    5-7 teams only get in if there aren't enough 6-6 teams. 6-6 teams can be picked over other teams like a 7-5 team. My main point was that if they had to include a rule that 5-7 teams could get a bid, it probably means there will be enough room for Duke.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...wins-5-7-teams