Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

The Bowl Selection Vigil

I think it only fitting that I start this thread!

Let's take care of business this Saturday at VT and get there! Then we can start talking about a game in Charlotte, too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

ESPN has us projected for the Belks Bowl in Charlotte December 27th fwiw.

Not there yet. Not shut out of bigger bowls yet, either.

Get 'er done!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ESPN has us projected for the Belks Bowl in Charlotte December 27th fwiw.

Not there yet. Not shut out of bigger bowls yet, either.

Get 'er done!
    I'm so glad this bowl is no longer the tire or car parts bowl, just not fitting! I say keep the possibilities open and leave the time around Christmas open.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm so glad this bowl is no longer the tire or car parts bowl, just not fitting! I say keep the possibilities open and leave the time around Christmas open.
    I was at Tampa for the HOF bowl game VS Wisconsin and I'm not opposed to another warm weather bowl appearance. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I was at Tampa for the HOF bowl game VS Wisconsin and I'm not opposed to another warm weather bowl appearance. Go Duke!
    I went to that game, and agree that Florida is a nice place to spend New Year's Eve and Day.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke got 10 votes in the coaches poll and 3 in the AP poll. Recently (in 2009 and 10) we also got votes, and as soon as we did, we went on losing streaks. It's nice to see the votes, but until we get our 6th, I will remain cautiously optimistic and continue to enjoy the ride.

(Also, Heather Dinich had us in the Military Bowl since day 1, so her prediction this week to the Belk is an upgrade.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The schedule is about to get a lot harder. Sagarin has Duke as at least a one touchdown underdog in each of the next four games. No, we won't be favored in Blacksburg. However, only FSU looks completely out of reach.

The last two games are a different story. We have a bye week before playing @GT and Miami at home. Both those teams have Sagarin ratings that are within a point of ours. Sagarin has us favored at home in that last game plus we'll have two weeks to practice for the GT option.

bowls

FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturxday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

Duke is a long-shot for that bowl ... they have the third pick of ACC teams (after the BCS, which gets the champs, and then the Chick-fil-A Bowl).

for reference, here are the bowl games with which the ACC has alignments, in order of choice.

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL
    #2 - Chick-fil-A Bowl - Atlanta, GA
    #3 - Russell Athletic Bowl - Orlando, FL
    #4 - Hyundai Sun Bowl - El Paso, TX
    #5 - Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC
    #6 - Franklin American Mortgage Company Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN
    #7 - Advocare 100 Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA
    #8 - Military Bowl - Washington, DC
    #9 - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - San Francisco, Ca

(per wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    for reference, here are the bowl games with which the ACC has alignments, in order of choice.

(per wikipedia)
    I'd bet that it's mathematically impossible for the ACC to have nine bowl eligible teams. Eight is a bit of a long shot too. Army over BC

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL ...
    Heather Dinich: "Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?"

David Cutcliffe: "We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire."

July 1, 2008

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...cutcliffe#more

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    I'd bet that it's mathematically impossible for the ACC to have nine bowl eligible teams. Eight is a bit of a long shot too. Army over BC
    Well this year, yes. But a few years back, the ACC had 10 bowl teams (thanks to an extra tie in it worked that year) and it's bottom two teams were 5-7 and 4-8.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

Duke is a long-shot for that bowl ... they have the third pick of ACC teams (after the BCS, which gets the champs, and then the Chick-fil-A Bowl).
    They were here for the NCCU game, too. Two reps, don't know that they were scouts per se, but they were here. I met them at our tailgate in Blue Devil Alley. The man turned out to be a fraternity brother here at Duke, I think a 1983 graduate. HE would love for Duke to get their Bowl! And so would I!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I hope you all have been aggressively and actively knocking on wood.

LET'S GO DEVILS!

I was tethered to a wedding ceremony--not my own, though that would not have changed my incessant checking of the score--and could not watch the game.

I fear that I succumbed to an emotion with an outburst in the middle of the ceremony, but as fate would have it, it coincided with the moment the groom kissed the bride. Awkwardness averted.

Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe, his staff, and the entire team. Keep it rollin'.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

(per wikipedia)
    The "Fight Hunger" bowl is Navy vs PAC-12.
    If Navy doesn't reach 6, then they can choose from the ACC, the MAC or the WAC. Right now Navy's hopes aren't looking so hot at 2-3, but the bottom of the ACC is less than appetizing too. If they do choose an ACC team, I hope it ain't Duke since there will be very few who will travel all the way to San Francisco to watch the game.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 10-08-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If Navy doesn't reach 6, then they can choose from the ACC, the MAC or the WAC. Right now Navy's hopes aren't looking so hot at 2-3, but the bottom of the ACC is less than appetizing too. If they do choose an ACC team, I hope it ain't Duke since there will be very few who will travel all the way to San Francisco to watch the game.
    If we can get that 6th win (*knocks on wood, rubs on rabbit foot and all other superstitious measures to not jinx it*), I doubt we'd still be on the "Teams Available" list when the Fight Hunger Bowl gets its pick. If we somehow were still around when the Military Bowl gets its choice of eligible teams, I'll be on the phone starting to plan to welcome you all to the District!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Fight hunger

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    While you are right that Navy gets the Fight Hunger Bowl if they get to six wins, the ACC has first replacement slot if they have eight bowl teams ... the MAC and WAC are next in line.

Let's look at the situation for the ACC:

Sure Bowl teams (2): Florida State, Clemson

Probable Bowl teams (4): Duke, Miami* (unless they stay home due to NCAA issues again), NC State, Virginia Tech (not a lock, especially if they lose to Duke ... but they do finish with BC and Virginia)

Possible Bowl teams: (4) Maryland (three wins already with Virginia Boston College left ... after that it gets tough -- Georgia Tech maybe -- they finish with Clemson, FSU and UNC), Georgia Tech (put themselves in the hole with two OT losses and the loss to Middle Tennessee. They are are two wins with BC coming up, but after that they have to beat three good teams out of BYU, UNC, Georgia, Duke and Maryland); Virginia (looks bad now at 2-4, but they do have possible wins with Maryland and Wake to get going again); Wake Forest (3-3 now, but they get a gimmie with BC and they have a tossup with Virginia and that gets them close)

Not Going Bowling: (x): UNC (ineligible), BC (terrible)

I'm being generous to say that 10 teams are fighting for at least seven and probably eight slots. Not all will make it -- the loser of the Oct. 20 game between Virginia and Wake isn't going bowling. Not sure the winner is, but at least it has a chance.

While you are right that Navy gets the Fight Hunger Bowl if they get to six wins, the ACC has first replacement slot if they have eight bowl teams ... the MAC and WAC are next in line.

Let's look at the situation for the ACC:
    Thanks for the breakdown, nice job. My two favorite options for completely personal and greedy reasons are The Belk Bowl and the Military Bowl. (Not including the very higher ups because we haven't even gotten #6 yet.) Charlotte would be nice and close, and RFK is a great stadium..also with access to a nice sized local Duke fan base. Both are easily travelable. Nashville would be ok, it would be fun to see Cut "go home" and play there with a Duke team. Shreveport...bleah, too far. I'll set my tv outside next to my grill.

FWIW, A scout from the Russell Athletiic Bowl was in the press box Saturxday. That's Dec. 28 in Orlando.

They've been at basically every game this season. On at least three separate occasions they've sent reps down to the first few rows of the student section to hand out "Russell Athletics Bowl" pins to everyone.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

#1 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL - Jan 1
    #2 - Chick-fil-A Bowl - Atlanta, GA - Dec 31
    #3 - Russell Athletic Bowl - Orlando, FL - Dec 28
    #4 - Hyundai Sun Bowl - El Paso, TX - Dec 31
    #5 - Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC - Dec 27
    #6 - Franklin American Mortgage Company Music City Bowl - Nashville, TN - Dec 31
    #7 - Advocare 100 Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA - Dec 28
    #8 - Military Bowl - Washington, DC - Dec 27
    #9 - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl - San Francisco, Ca - Dec 29

(per wikipedia)
    Dates added.

Most of these places sound like fun, but can anybody console me for the potential of having to cancel my current late December plans to make an emergency trip to El Paso or Shreveport? Neither is on my list of cities I feel like I have to visit.