Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The good news is the team has much more intestinal fortitude than the weak knee fan base!
    Intestinal fortitude has nothing to do with it. It is simply the reality that we are likely to be substantial underdogs for the next 3 games. If I had to bet on our record going into the GT game, I would say 5-5. Could we upset UNC? Sure. Would I expect that outcome? No.

The good news is that GT isn't great. And we get a bye week to prepare for them. We should win that game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Intestinal fortitude has nothing to do with it.
    I am sure we can agree to disagree. The fans may quit on the team, but the team will not quit on themselves.

Guts, pride, work ethic...any term will work. Everyone knew back on Sept 1 the second half of the schedule was going to be a lot tougher than the first half.

It is time to persevere. You know, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" or any other sound bite one chooses to employ.
    Bob Green

I've seen several fast starts go south in Nashville. That elusive 6th win is precious. If you get to a bowl this season, make sure you go, bc you never know when the next one might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I've seen several fast starts go south in Nashville. That elusive 6th win is precious. If you get to a bowl this season, make sure you go, bc you never know when the next one might happen.
    I think we get the 6th and no more - likely will come down to nailbiting time against GaT or Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I think we get the 6th and no more - likely will come down to nailbiting time against GaT or Miami.
    First of all let me start by saying that I think Duke thought we had this game won when we got up by 20. I think will all the press coverage about how well they were playing and how poorly VT was playing got to their heads and they thought VT was gonna fold... wrong. That will get corrected quickly this week, and will not happen against Carolina.

While I don't expect us to beat Carolina, I think that they fall far more in the category of winnable games with GT and Miami. We've come really close to beating them with a much wider margin between the abilities of the teams. It's the first time Duke will have the Heels at home with the students there at night, coming off of a game that they could have won had they stepped on VT's throats when they had the chance. I think Duke comes to play Saturday night, and while I'm sure Carolina will too, we have more to play for, and that's a fact. I think that GT is a really tough team despite their record, and Miami has waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy more talent than us, and I think that would be a difficult game to win. Duke's bowl bid is waiting to be won by means of victory over the University of North Carolina Tar Heels, and to be perfectly honest, that's the way I'd love it to be won.

Also, I agree that Blakenly isn't our best receiver right now, but it is an incredibly silly knee jerk reaction to think that putting him on defense would benefit Duke more than his improving on offense right now or in the foreseeable future. He is not Julius Peppers, he never will be Julius Peppers. He didn't play well against a really good defense, he's going to get better and will be a weapon for Duke. If not for Sean, then for Boone. I understand we're a little shallow right now because of injuries on defense, but just because Braxton couldn't catch and is a player on defense, doesn't mean that everyone who struggles will do the same.(that was in response to a lot of chatter on the VT postgame thread, it's just silly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am sure we can agree to disagree. The fans may quit on the team, but the team will not quit on themselves.

Guts, pride, work ethic...any term will work. Everyone knew back on Sept 1 the second half of the schedule was going to be a lot tougher than the first half.

It is time to persevere. You know, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" or any other sound bite one chooses to employ.
    The error in your logic is implying that believing we will lose the next 3 is evidence of quitting, lack of guts, lack of pride, or (most insultingly) lack of work ethic. I can assure that I have not quit on Duke (for whatever that could possibly entail). The next 3 games are against the 1st/2nd, 2nd/3rd, and 4th best teams on our schedule. We lost to the others by more than 20 each. I don't think it is quitting to accept that the most likely scenario puts us at 0-3 in those 3 games.

I agree that prospects in the next three games are not great, expected good efforts notwithstanding.
    It would be wonderful if the UNC team that lost to Wake (seriously, that was ridiculous) came to Wallace Wade, but
    I'm expecting that Bernard will wear us out. I have high hopes for a sixth win, but it isn't going to easy, and it probably
    won't be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    Do you remember what happened to the basketball team the last time Duke football went to a bowl game? It might just be a zero-sum game. The sports gods may only allow a finite amount of Duke success in any given year.

And for those who scoff at the idea that a good(er) football season may mean a not-good(er) basketball season, why do you have that lucky sweatshirt that you wear during a big game???!!?

Riddle me that...
    I don't know. Why is this? Is this proof of silly or proof that sheep's bladder can be employed to prevent earthquakes?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Am I the only one who would prefer to wait for that sixth win?
    No, me too. Cart is well ahead of the horse. I believe our guys can get to 6 and maybe more, but won't breathe until they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I don't know. Why is this? Is this proof of silly or proof that sheep's bladder can be employed to prevent earthquakes?
    I dunno, but unlike some other posters I have kept four December MBB victories in reserve. I am undecided as to whether I should offer them all up in sacrifice for the GT or Miami games, split them between the two, or just wait for basketball season. In the mean time, I'm willing to trade Western Washington for a victory this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    No, me too. Cart is well ahead of the horse. I believe our guys can get to 6 and maybe more, but won't breathe until they get there.
    If we qualified for a bowl game at 5-7, would y'all still be as enthusiastic for simply making a bowl game? I personally don't care how we get to a bowl game, even at 5-7, as long as we get to a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    If we qualified for a bowl game at 5-7, would y'all still be as enthusiastic for simply making a bowl game? I personally don't care how we get to a bowl game, even at 5-7, as long as we get to a bowl game.
    The carolina players are talking about keeping Duke from gaining bowl eligibility against them. We're in their heads!

If we finish with only 5 victories this season, I'll say we made progress but will be disappointed in losing our last 6 in a row. I'll still celebrate and attend our bowl game!
    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    The carolina players are talking about keeping Duke from gaining bowl eligibility against them. We're in their heads!

If we finish with only 5 victories this season, I'll say we made progress but will be disappointed in losing our last 6 in a row. I'll still celebrate and attend our bowl game!
    Funny that the Kerlina players would require that sort of extraneous motivation in a rivalry game like this. I want to beat NC just simply b/c we hate them.
    That's enough motivation for me!

I'm with you Oz! See you in Shreveport buddy! (or Memphis?) ...just no Military Bowl please (I don't like the distance from home for that one... ........................ ... i.e just 30 miles).

- BDBD...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Funny that the Kerlina players would require that soprt of extraneous motivation in a rivalry game like this. I want to beat NC just simply b/c we hate them. That's enough motivation for me!

I'm with you Oz! See you in Shreveport buddy! (or Memphis?) ...just no Military Bowl please (I don't like the distance from home for that one... ...... i.e 30 miles).

- BDBD...
    it's pretty hilarious that Carolina's ineligibility this year could be a major factor contributing to our bowl eligibility. Sweet sweet irony.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    This one statement, more than any else I've seen, highlights just what a farce the college bowl system has become. I for one cannot get beyond the least bit of excitement about a 5-7 team, even the team I support, playing in a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    This one statement, more than any else I've seen, highlights just what a farce the college bowl system has become. I for one cannot get beyond the least bit of excitement about a 5-7 team, even the team I support, playing in a bowl game.
    Agreed. I'd honestly rather Duke decline a bowl invite at 5-7.

If a real playoff isn't going to happen and the powers that be insist on keeping the ridiculous bowl system in place, I'd at least like to see 7 wins be the threshold and at the very least would like to see games against 1-AA teams not count toward bowl eligibility at all.

As important and exciting as a bowl bid might be, the goal to meet first is a winning season.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    As important and exciting as a bowl bid might be, the goal to meet first is a winning season.
    Agreed. I told my son that I would not be overly excited about finishing the season 1-5 and going to a low level bowl with a finish like that. His response was that it was far better than finishing 0-6 and not going to a bowl. I could get far more excited with a finish of 2-4 (or better).

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Agreed. I told my son that I would not be overly excited about finishing the season 1-5 and going to a low level bowl with a finish like that. His response was that it was far better than finishing 0-6 and not going to a bowl. I could get far more excited with a finish of 2-4 (or better).
    Every win is exciting and should be celebrated! This is a special team this year, easy to loose sight of as folks analyze each week's ups and downs. I believe in enjoying the moment! This is a season of magical moments... and it's not over yet!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Wow, tough crowd. There are a lot of benefits to getting to a bowl game even at 5-7. First of all, we can get that "haven't been to a bowl game since 1994" monkey off our back. Say what you will about the current bowl system, I hate that monkey and I don't care if we have to shoot it off with a 5-7 record. Also, we actually get to play in a bowl, and that can only help with our recruiting. If you've seen some of the interviews with recruits, they definitely see Duke as an up-and-comer, and a bowl game would help solidify that impression. Taking small steps each year will help bring us back to a winning tradition.

Of course I'd love it if we could get a win or two down the line to get us to 6-6 or 7-5, but we knew our 2nd half schedule would be tough before the season began. We did our job 1st half, now we need very good execution down the stretch, and maybe some luck, to pick up that extra win or two.